1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91521
    20 Jun '09 11:42
    maybe this should've been a private message but since you keep popping up here it makes me wonder...
    You sound very 'scientific' and I've read some nice posts from you on the science forum
    My question is this: Do you just 'float' onto the spirituality forum to denounce other posters or do you have a genuine interest in spirituality? If so what is your position?
    I'm being serious here and not just trying to have a go at you.
    (maybe I'm missing your point)
  2. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    2120
    20 Jun '09 12:302 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    maybe this should've been a private message but since you keep popping up here it makes me wonder...
    You sound very 'scientific' and I've read some nice posts from you on the science forum
    My question is this: Do you just 'float' onto the spirituality forum to denounce other posters or do you have a genuine interest in spirituality? If so what is your ng serious here and not just trying to have a go at you.
    (maybe I'm missing your point)
    …Do you just 'float' onto the spirituality forum to denounce other posters or do you have a genuine interest in spirituality?


    To be honest I have no real interest in ‘spirituality‘ -I am an atheist.
    I do like the occasional good argument though (providing it doesn’t start to get nasty and personal) so I like to search through the forums to see if I can find a stated assertion that I think is flawed and then start the argument simply by pointing out what I see as the flaw in that assertion -I apologies to anyone that sees that as a personal attack on them -its NOT meant to be personal 🙂

    The reason why I just 'float' (as you say 🙂 )onto the spirituality forum is simply because it seems to me that’s where I am most likely to find a logically flawed assertion.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91521
    20 Jun '09 12:45
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    [b]…Do you just 'float' onto the spirituality forum to denounce other posters or do you have a genuine interest in spirituality?


    To be honest I have no real interest in ‘spirituality‘ -I am an atheist.
    I do like the occasional good argument though (providing it doesn’t start to get nasty and personal) so I like to search through the foru ...[text shortened]... y because it seems to me that’s where I am most likely to find a logically flawed assertion.[/b]
    logically flawed assertions ay?
    Well thank you very much for respondimg to my post, you are most likely a gentleman(and a scholar)

    Your post has reinstated my faith in your views and I will now read them with a fresh perspective.

    However consider this- This 'flawed perfection' is sufficient to this moment and no more....
    (a bit vague? any ideas?)
  4. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    2120
    20 Jun '09 12:55
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    logically flawed assertions ay?
    Well thank you very much for respondimg to my post, you are most likely a gentleman(and a scholar)

    Your post has reinstated my faith in your views and I will now read them with a fresh perspective.

    However consider this- This 'flawed perfection' is sufficient to this moment and no more....
    (a bit vague? any ideas?)
    …This 'flawed perfection'
    ..…


    What!?
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91521
    20 Jun '09 13:02
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    [b]…This 'flawed perfection'
    ..…


    What!?[/b]
    Its an idea-....Flawed perfection
    It goes: We are all flawed but viewed from a higher perspective everything is in balnce. Everything is as it should be. Even your doubting
  6. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    20 Jun '09 13:052 edits
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    [b]…This 'flawed perfection'
    ..…


    What!?[/b]
    Mr.Hamilton is a Borg, he has been assimilated into the collective subconscious of all Borgs, he will assimilate you into his mode of thought given half the chance! but we shall resist and never limit ourselves nor our search for truth to unintelligent causes!
  7. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    28126
    20 Jun '09 13:15
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Mr.Hamilton is a Borg, he has been assimilated into the collective subconscious of all Borgs, he will assimilate you into his mode of thought given half the chance! but we shall resist and never limit ourselves nor our search for truth to unintelligent causes!
    Resistance is futile 🙂
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    12622
    20 Jun '09 13:18
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    Resistance is futile 🙂
    Serious conversation might well be also.
  9. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    20 Jun '09 13:51
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    Resistance is futile 🙂
    LOL, 😵
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91521
    20 Jun '09 15:33
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Serious conversation might well be also.
    T.I.S.M.
    (this is serious mum)
    😵
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Joined
    19 Jan '04
    Moves
    22131
    20 Jun '09 18:08
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    [b]…Do you just 'float' onto the spirituality forum to denounce other posters or do you have a genuine interest in spirituality?


    To be honest I have no real interest in ‘spirituality‘ -I am an atheist.
    I do like the occasional good argument though (providing it doesn’t start to get nasty and personal) so I like to search through the foru ...[text shortened]... y because it seems to me that’s where I am most likely to find a logically flawed assertion.[/b]
    Interestingly, since the Spiritual Forum was split off from Debate, it has also been the main locus for philosophical debate generally. If I wanted to entertain a discussion on, say, Epicurus versus the Stoics, this would be the most likely venue to get it going.

    “Atheist” is such a multivariate word: why do you think that atheism and “spirituality” are incompatible? [NOTE: Some Christians define “spirituality” has having only to do with the Holy Spirit (no fault to them for doing so), but others—such as myself—have a very broad understanding of that word (in its own multivariate usage across various systems of thought: one might argue that it ought to be replaced, but it is probably too late). There are certainly non-theistic Zennists who have been willing to use the word in “translating” eastern concepts into the west—D.T. Suzuki was even willing to use the “G-word”.]
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    12622
    20 Jun '09 18:15
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Interestingly, since the Spiritual Forum was split off from Debate, it has also been the main locus for philosophical debate generally. If I wanted to entertain a discussion on, say, Epicurus versus the Stoics, this would be the most likely venue to get it going.

    “Atheist” is such a multivariate word: why do you think that atheism and “spirituality” are ...[text shortened]... “translating” eastern concepts into the west—D.T. Suzuki was even willing to use the “G-word”.]
    Split off from Debate? You've been here that long ?

    I don't remember that.

    I think spirituality has to do with the human spirit.

    But most people think I mean the human soul because they do not understand the difference between soul and spirit. But to get the distinction requires the revelation of the Bible.

    So it is a problem.
  13. Hmmm . . .
    Joined
    19 Jan '04
    Moves
    22131
    20 Jun '09 18:27
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Split off from Debate? You've been here that long ?

    I don't remember that.

    I think spirituality has to do with the human spirit.

    But most people think I mean the human soul because they do not understand the difference between soul and spirit. But to get the distinction requires the revelation of the Bible.

    So it is a problem.
    Yep, been here that long! 🙂

    I have enough Christian theology under my belt to get the “spirit” versus “soul” thing (although it does precede Christianity—both among the Greeks and the Hebrews—as you know). I remember one of your first posts on here: lamenting the fact that discussions of spirituality seemed to so often get reduced to questions of morality—among other things. 🙂

    You and I have had some sharp debate—along with some occasional agreement; but we both have learned that sometimes “hard sayings” in the course of passionate argument do not have to entail any personal animus.

    [SIDE NOTE: Every time someone criticizes you for the length of your posts, I am reminded to try and trim my own. You may be the only person on here who gives me much competition in that area. 😉 ]
Back to Top