1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Oct '12 21:43
    ive just (hypothetically) created a super computer and an amazing piece of software. it basically a planet ive designed. ive programmed the environment and geology. ive populated the planet with creature, ive given them all varying degree of intelligence based on their designated species. the program ive written for the most intelligent of species (which ive designed based on me) is huge, roughly the size of a human brain, ive also set their programs to run independently, learning and changing as it goes. so hopefully i should see some variance in their behavior...............its been running for a while now and not much has happened, anybody got any ideas what i can do to make it more interesting???
  2. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    24 Oct '12 21:52
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    ive just (hypothetically) created a super computer and an amazing piece of software. it basically a planet ive designed. ive programmed the environment and geology. ive populated the planet with creature, ive given them all varying degree of intelligence based on their designated species. the program ive written for the most intelligent of species (whic ...[text shortened]... ow and not much has happened, anybody got any ideas what i can do to make it more interesting???
    Did you ask Microsoft?
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Oct '12 22:45
    ive just (hypothetically) created a super computer and an amazing piece of software. it basically a planet ive designed. ive programmed the environment and geology. ive populated the planet with creature, ive given them all varying degree of intelligence based on their designated species. the program ive written for the most intelligent of species (whic ...[text shortened]... ow and not much has happened, anybody got any ideas what i can do to make it more interesting???
    Sounds like you programmed it wrong because in a system of that complexity you should see all
    kinds of things happening.

Although I do have moral questions about this simulation and what kind of measures you have taken
    to identify if the simulated creatures are sentient and what you plan to do if they are...

http://lesswrong.com/lw/x4/nonperson_predicates/
  4. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    24 Oct '12 23:34
    take a rib out and make for it a female companion.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    24 Oct '12 23:44
    Do they have wifi?
  6. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 02:00
    Introduce yourself to them as "God". Do some things to amaze them and then leave and never come back. Of course tell them you will always be there watching.
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 10:04
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Sounds like you programmed it wrong because in a system of that complexity you should see all
    kinds of things happening.

Although I do have moral questions about this simulation and what kind of measures you have taken
    to identify if the simulated creatures are sentient and what you plan to do if they are...

http://lesswrong.com/lw/x4/nonperson_predicates/
    nah, nothing. they just keep wandering around this nice little garden ive built for them. eating and sleeping.

well technically they should be sentient, but as they have no legal rights and are my creation ill do what i like with them. after all they are just a bunch of 0's and 1's.
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 10:07
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    take a rib out and make for it a female companion.
    do what?? man, you are sick in the head.

good idea about a companion though, ill write a female program, see if that shakes things up.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 10:52
    the program ive written for the most intelligent of species (which ive designed based on me)

.............its been running for a while now and not much has happened,
    You mean the programmed version of you hasn't yet created its own Genesis program yet?
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 14:29
    they seem to be splitting into groups and fighting over the limited resources ive given them. other than that all they do is eat, drink and rut. i think i might have to pull the plug and start again.
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 15:50
    they seem to be splitting into groups and fighting over the limited resources ive given them. other than that all they do is eat, drink and rut. i think i might have to pull the plug and start again.
    Ah just leave it running for a few million years and see what happens, might be good for teh lulz.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 16:01

Have you seen this:

"He went on chatting as simply and unaffectedly as ever; and while he talked he made a crowd of little men and women the size of your finger, and they went diligently to work and cleared and leveled off a space a couple of yards square in the grass and began to build a cunning little castle in it, the women mixing the mortar and carrying it up the scaffoldings in pails on their heads, just as our work-women have always done, and the men laying the courses of masonry - five hundred of these toy people swarming briskly about and working diligently and wiping the sweat off their faces as natural as life."
    "We asked if we might make some people, and he said yes, and told Seppi to make some cannon for the walls, and told Nikolaus to make some halberdiers, with breastplates and greaves and helmets, and I was to make some cavalry, with horses, and in allotting these tasks he called us by our names, but did not say how he knew them. Then Seppi asked him what his own name was, and he said, tranquilly, "Satan," and held out a chip and caught a little woman on it who was falling from the scaffolding and put her back where she belonged, and said, "She is an idiot to step backward like that and not notice what she is about."
    "...it's his name, you know."

"Yes - he is my uncle.""

"Two of the little workmen were quarreling, and in buzzing little bumblebee voices they were cursing and swearing at each other; now came blows and blood; then they locked themselves together in a life-and-death struggle. Satan reached out his hand and crushed the life out of them with his fingers, threw them away, wiped the red from his fingers on his handkerchief, and went on talking where he had left off: "We cannot do wrong; neither have we any disposition to do it, for we do not know what it is.""
    "...the wives of the little dead men had found the crushed and shapeless bodies and were crying over them, and sobbing and lamenting, and a priest was kneeling there with his hands crossed upon his breast, praying; and crowds and crowds of pitying friends were massed about them, reverently uncovered, with their bare heads bowed, and many with the tears running down a scene which Satan paid no attention to until the small noise of the weeping and praying began to annoy him, then he reached out and took the heavy board seat out of our swing and brought it down and mashed all those people into the earth just as if they had been flies, and went on talking just the same."

http://www.shsu.edu/~eng_wpf/authors/Twain/Mysterious-Stranger.htm

In chapter II.
  13. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 17:46
    eat, dring, rut and fight over resources? gods below, you've created mankind!
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 18:47
    Dont pull the plug - pick out a nice one and tell him to build a boat .....
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 21:03
    And then p@ss all over the rest of them, for Evah!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree