1. Gangster Land
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 19:261 edit
    Someone once told me “The only stupid question is the question not asked” and still another person told me “Ask a silly question, get a silly answer”. I think I’m about to find out which of these is true cause I have some question I should probably know the answers to but don’t. I now enlist you RHP’ers to enlighten me…again. 😉

In reading the various threads here in the spirituality forum it has come to my attention that some books of the Bible exist in the world but do not make an appearance in my Bible. I had a vague idea of this phenomenon but it seems to be a bigger deal than I was originally led to believe. Can anyone shed some light on this for me or provide me with a link that might help?

Specifically, I would like to know how many missing books there are, who decided not to include them, how do we know they were originally intended to be in the Bible in the first place, and how do we know the books that ARE in the Bible are actually supposed to be there? Further, I would like to know if the ‘missing’ books are God ‘breathed’ or ‘inspired’ or what not. If so, why is it not the height of arrogance to assume that mere men can decide that some of God’s words are not fit for the Bible?

So, if any of you intellectual elite’s out there consider it your duty to educate morons please consider this an opportunity. 😉

Also, while I’m asking questions…where has DoctorScribbles been?

Thanks for the help!

TheSkipper
  2. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 20:10
    Good question. I look forward to the answers.

SCribs is on sabbatical right now. He'll be back next semester.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 20:35
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Someone once told me “The only stupid question is the question not asked” and still another person told me “Ask a silly question, get a silly answer”. I think I’m about to find out which of these is true cause I have some question I should probably know the answers to but don’t. I now enlist you RHP’ers to enlighten me…again. 😉

In reading the variou ...[text shortened]... while I’m asking questions…where has DoctorScribbles been?

Thanks for the help!

TheSkipper
    That was not a stupid question, but it was a silly question.

So, my answer is!

GABBA GABBA GOO ROOF MOOM MOOM
  4. Charlotte, NC
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 21:06
    Can anyone shed some light on this for me or provide me with a link that might help?

http://www.pseudepigrapha.com/

5. Not Kansas
    Moves
    16 Jun '05 02:49

In reading the variou ...[text shortened]... while I’m asking questions…where has DoctorScribbles been?

Thanks for the help!

TheSkipper
    The age old question: Who wrote the Book of Love?
  6. Standard memberThe Plumber
    Leak-Proof
    under the sink
    Moves
    16 Jun '05 14:08
    Try a Google search on "Canon of Scripture." There's a ton of info out there on the subject (the "canon" is the list of books we now consider to be the Bible - Roman Catholics have a slightly longer list than Protestants). A good introductory site is: http://www.bible-researcher.com/canon1.html. There are many others.
  7. London
    Moves
    16 Jun '05 14:41
    Originally posted by The Plumber
    Try a Google search on "Canon of Scripture." There's a ton of info out there on the subject (the "canon" is the list of books we now consider to be the Bible - Roman Catholics have a slightly longer list than Protestants). A good introductory site is: http://www.bible-researcher.com/canon1.html. There are many others.
    From a Catholic perspective: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03267a.htm
  8. London
    Moves
    16 Jun '05 15:35

Thanks for the help!

TheSkipper
    Some of the reasons why the exclusion of the Deuterocanonical ("Apocrypha" in Protestant literature) books is important:

1. The concept of purgatory finds some of its strongest Scriptural basis in the book of Maccabees (can't remember 1Macc or 2Macc).
    2. Martin Luther originally tried to drop the epistle of James from canon as well (because Jas 2 implied that faith alone, without corresponding good works, was worthless for salvation).

I think the KJV has these books (though I could be wrong here) as the KJV was compiled pre-Reformation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree