1. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    17 Dec '05 03:20
    It has come to my attention that many people who otherwise are potentially very strong spiritually shun the Bible like the plague. I've come to realize that this isn't because of the content of this single book. It's not because of the historical innacuracies or the outlandish claims. It's not because great swaths of it doesn't make sense. Most of the kind of person I'm speaking of could easily ignore all of that nonsense and relish in the strong metaphors and lessons about God and humanity prevalent in the Bible. The reason these people avoid the Bible is because so many nutcases go on and on about how the Bible is the Word of God and should be taken as entirely true, both spiritually and historically and cause them to be afraid that if they think kind thoughts about even one passage they might accidentally be included in with the nutcases. As this is a fate most would avoid on pain of death, they miss out on what could be an elightening experience contained in the small part of the Greater Word of God that is commonly called the Bible.

I say down with the nutcases. Ignore them. Make them small. Make the world free in this small but very important way for the poor lost souls looking for surcease.
  2. Territories Unknown
    Moves
    17 Dec '05 03:26
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    As this is a fate most would avoid on pain of death, they miss out on what could be an elightening experience contained in the small part of the Greater Word of God that is commonly called the Bible.
    Perhaps their stumbling block is their own pride.
    Ask, seek, knock.
    If a person wants the truth, they don't care what trailer park they must travel through to get it.
  3. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    17 Dec '05 03:32
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Perhaps their stumbling block is their own pride.
    Ask, seek, knock.
    If a person wants the truth, they don't care what trailer park they must travel through to get it.
    Let's not get too idealistic. We're talking about human beings here, the inventors of trailer parks. Let's not ask too much of them, shall we?
  4. Territories Unknown
    Moves
    17 Dec '05 03:41
    Let's not get too idealistic. We're talking about human beings here, the inventors of trailer parks. Let's not ask too much of them, shall we?
    Not me. That's the Creator talking.
  5. Not Kansas
    Moves
    17 Dec '05 04:06
    It has come to my attention that many people who otherwise are potentially very strong spiritually shun the Bible like the plague. I've come to realize that this isn't because of the content of this single book. It's not because of the historical innacuracies or the outlandish claims. It's not because great swaths of it doesn't make sense. Most ...[text shortened]... he world free in this small but very important way for the poor lost souls looking for surcease.
    Well, I hate to say it, but it strikes me that some people are almost idol-worshippers.
    I should explain that.
    When someone reads the Bible, there has to be a certain amount of interpretation to understand it. Things like "where did Cain's wife come from" must be either answered or ignored. Discrepencies in the number of animals brought abour the ark (Two or seven) What a certain passage means. And so forth.
    This doesn't bother me personally, I think that is one thing that makes the Bible interesting and surely there is still some mystery about the nature of God?
    On the other hand, if a person or group of people decide that there is only ONE way to see the Bible, and call it THE WORD OF GOD, they have carved something into stone and stopped all possible development. They then worship their own creation.
    Just a thought.
  6. Forgotten
    Moves
    17 Dec '05 04:22
    i was raised up white trailer trash, and i resemble that remark sir.
  7. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    17 Dec '05 04:30
    Originally posted by aspviper666
    i was raised up white trailer trash, and i resemble that remark sir.
    Then you know what I'm talking about.
  8. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    17 Dec '05 04:32
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    Well, I hate to say it, but it strikes me that some people are almost idol-worshippers.
    I should explain that.
    When someone reads the Bible, there has to be a certain amount of interpretation to understand it. Things like "where did Cain's wife come from" must be either answered or ignored. Discrepencies in the number of animals brought abour the ...[text shortened]... one and stopped all possible development. They then worship their own creation.
    Just a thought.
    Agreed.
  9. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    17 Dec '05 04:37
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    I should explain that.
    When someone reads the Bible, there has to be a certain amount of interpretation to understand it. Things like "where did Cain's wife come from" must be either answered or ignored. Discrepencies in the number of animals brought abour the ...[text shortened]... one and stopped all possible development. They then worship their own creation.
    Just a thought.
    Amen, sir. I've oft used the term "paper-worshippers" to describe these closed-minded folk. The Bible is indeed an invention of man, and concurrently because man's language is usually unclear the interpretation of the Bible, more paper, is yet another invention.
  10. Colorado
    Moves
    18 Dec '05 01:15
    The goal of most religions is to find God. Christianity is no different. All one need do in order to know if they are interpreting the scripture correctly is evaluate themselves. This is what I believe, this is what I’ve experienced. Have I found God yet? Do I think I’m any closer to finding God? How has this religion improved my life?

Some use religion to throw the fear of God into people. This is the wrong approach in my opinion. The only type of God that anybody will get close to is a kind and loving God. It’s similar to a relationship in this regard. Who is attracted to angry, vindictive people?

Some think that by reading the scripture they can explain God. This doesn’t work either. Even if the scripture had no contradictions in it, it could still never explain God, only direct experience can.

We are all guilty (myself included) of telling other people what God is, what he thinks, or what he’ll do. Without that direct experience we don’t really know. The journey back to God is a long and difficult one. Those who preach that something is so because it is written in some scripture are missing the point. Those who become satisfied with their religion before they find God never accomplish their goal.
  11. Territories Unknown
    Moves
    18 Dec '05 02:58
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    The goal of most religions is to find God. Christianity is no different.
    Disagree. You lump Christianity in with religions, which it clearly is not. Regardless of how some of its adherants treat it, biblical Christianity is not a religion.
  12. The sky
    Moves
    18 Dec '05 03:01
    Disagree. You lump Christianity in with religions, which it clearly is not. Regardless of how some of its adherants treat it, biblical Christianity is not a religion.
    Huh? What definition of "religion" do you use, and in which way does Christianity not fit it?
  13. Territories Unknown
    Moves
    18 Dec '05 03:03
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Huh? What definition of "religion" do you use, and in which way does Christianity not fit it?
    Religion is a belief system that requires certain works of its adherants, relative to some form of deliverance and/or salvation.
    Vis-a-vis, Christianity, for salvation, requires faith alone in Christ alone.
  14. Not Kansas
    Moves
    18 Dec '05 03:21
    Religion is a belief system that requires certain works of its adherants, relative to some form of deliverance and/or salvation.
    Nice idol-carving ...
  15. Colorado
    Moves
    18 Dec '05 06:44
    This is not true. Jesus requires Christians to work for their salvation. This point is often times missed by the church. Christianity is definitely a religion.