1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Dec '05 13:13
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    This is not true. Jesus requires Christians to work for their salvation. This point is often times missed by the church. Christianity is definitely a religion.
    JW's notwithstanding, faith alone in Christ alone. Anything more is arrogance. To assume man can do anything warranting God's favor is blasphemous, thus unmeritorious faith is the issue.
    Not Christian service, not good works. If it can be done by the unbeliever, it is conducive for salvation.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Dec '05 13:13
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    Nice idol-carving ...
    Idol-carving?
  3. Colorado
    Moves
    18 Dec '05 18:082 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    JW's notwithstanding, faith alone in Christ alone. Anything more is arrogance. To assume man can do anything warranting God's favor is blasphemous, thus unmeritorious faith is the issue.
    Not Christian service, not good works. If it can be done by the unbeliever, it is conducive for salvation.
    This is not true. Remember there are many branches of Christianity. To say that they all believe the same way is incorrect.

2 Tim 3:16-17 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Re 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Both of these passages are clear that God not only expects good works from us, but will in fact judge the works that we do.

Matt 5:48 Be yee therefore perfect, even as your father which is in heaven is perfect.

More of the same. It’s impossible to be perfect if all you do is sinful.

Col 3:20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.

This is an example of a good work that God expects from us.

The following passages indicate that Jesus expects those who believe in him to work for their salvation.

Matthew 10:38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Matthew 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Mark 8:34
    And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Mark 10:21
    Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

This is another example of good works that earn us "treasure in heaven."
  4. Standard memberUna
    Solacriptura
    Moves
    18 Dec '05 18:17
    This is not true. Jesus requires Christians to work for their salvation. This point is often times missed by the church. Christianity is definitely a religion.
    Totally untrue, the gift of salvation is without cost. Christ death was God reconciling the world to Himself.
  5. Colorado
    Moves
    18 Dec '05 18:221 edit
    Originally posted by Una
    Totally untrue, the gift of salvation is without cost. Christ death was God reconciling the world to Himself.
    There is a cost. We have to accept Jesus. This doesn’t mean becoming a serial killer in the name of Jesus, or raping people because you believe that Jesus has forgiven everything that you can do, it means doing good works and living the life. Everytime a Christian is persecuted for doing good works they know the cost.

See my previous post.
  6. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 03:05
    If assuming that man can cause God's favor is blasphemous, why is assuming that man caused God's anger (Garden of Eden) not blasphemous? Sounds like this latter situation is just as arrogant, as it is still thinking that we humans can affect the mind of God.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 03:13
    There is a cost. We have to accept Jesus. This doesn’t mean becoming a serial killer in the name of Jesus, or raping people because you believe that Jesus has forgiven everything that you can do, it means doing good works and living the life. Everytime a Christian is persecuted for doing good works they know the cost.

See my previous post.
    Unmeritorious faith.
    What good works had the thief?
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 03:15
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    If assuming that man can cause God's favor is blasphemous, why is assuming that man caused God's anger (Garden of Eden) not blasphemous? Sounds like this latter situation is just as arrogant, as it is still thinking that we humans can affect the mind of God.
    Do not confuse the language of accomodation used in certain passages of the Bible as exactly portraying the essence and character of God.
  9. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 04:04
    Do not confuse the language of accomodation used in certain passages of the Bible as exactly portraying the essence and character of God.
    No fears there. Just out of curiouslity, what passages are you speaking of that do not portray the essence of God? Also, please expand on "language of accomodation."

Just for clarity, my comment had nothing to do with any passage of the Bible, but on your declaration of the arrogance in man thinking he can control God.
  10. Not Kansas
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 04:07
    Unmeritorious faith.
    What good works had the thief?
    I dunno, maybe he was an OK guy who had to steal to eat but made up for it by taking the rap for a friend, who knows?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree