1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    21 Oct '07 21:57
    Teaching Sunday school can be rough sometimes. Today's lesson was from the 13 chapter of Nehemiah and the kids really didn't like him. They compared him to Hitler, KKK, etc. We hear in this chapter that he wants racial/religious purity. No intermarrying. No bilingual stuff for children. And he is very adamant about building a wall to protect against outsiders. Plus he slaps around children and even pulls their hair out if they are of mixed marriages.

Should I just stick to Jesus from now on?
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Oct '07 23:05
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Teaching Sunday school can be rough sometimes. Today's lesson was from the 13 chapter of Nehemiah and the kids really didn't like him. They compared him to Hitler, KKK, etc. We hear in this chapter that he wants racial/religious purity. No intermarrying. No bilingual stuff for children. And he is very adamant about building a wall to protect against ...[text shortened]... s their hair out if they are of mixed marriages.

LOL. Sounds like your church needs to brush up on its indoctrination techniques. In the sunday school classes I used to attend, nobody ever questioned the holy word of God.
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    21 Oct '07 23:49
    Teaching Sunday school can be rough sometimes. Today's lesson was from the 13 chapter of Nehemiah and the kids really didn't like him. They compared him to Hitler, KKK, etc. We hear in this chapter that he wants racial/religious purity. No intermarrying. No bilingual stuff for children. And he is very adamant about building a wall to protect against ...[text shortened]... s their hair out if they are of mixed marriages.

How about teaching children some usefull, non religious stuff?
    Religion is sick.
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Oct '07 23:50

Who had the problem, you or the kids?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 00:211 edit

I think it is a wise saying to not be unequally yoked. In other words, what if I were an adament unwavering Christian and I married an adament unwavering Moslim? Do you see the folly in such a union? Why assume the teaching to be bigoted rather than have wisdom attached?
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 00:54
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    LOL. Sounds like your church needs to brush up on its indoctrination techniques. In the sunday school classes I used to attend, nobody ever questioned the holy word of God.
    See, I don't indoctrinate. I always encourage discussion and debate. The last teacher in this class got the boot because he denied the virgin birth. I'm sure I won't last long either.
  7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 00:55
    Originally posted by serigado
    How about teaching children some usefull, non religious stuff?
    Religion is sick.
    I do. I teach them how to think.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 09:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think it is a wise saying to not be unequally yoked. In other words, what if I were an adament unwavering Christian and I married an adament unwavering Moslim? Do you see the folly in such a union? Why assume the teaching to be bigoted rather than have wisdom attached?
    Don't you see the folly in allowing Jews to run Europe? Why assume that Hitler was bigoted rather than the wisdom attached to his actions?
    There is a difference between what might pass for good advice such as 'only marry someone of your own race culture' and enforcing it as a law or teaching it as a general rule. Even worse, is teaching that your own race / culture is better than another's as the reason for the undesirability for such unions. If the people in your example were as unwavering as you suggest then they would be unlikely to get as far as marriage in the first place. If they did get married then it might actually work, though I would think their biggest problems would arise from the fact that both would get criticized, disavowed etc by other members of their respective religions. I have known Christians who have had to leave their church because they married outside the Church.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 12:192 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Don't you see the folly in allowing Jews to run Europe? Why assume that Hitler was bigoted rather than the wisdom attached to his actions?
    There is a difference between what might pass for good advice such as 'only marry someone of your own race culture' and enforcing it as a law or teaching it as a general rule. Even worse, is teaching that your own rac known Christians who have had to leave their church because they married outside the Church.
    This is not my take on the command not to intermarry within other tribes/cultures in the Mosaic law. My take on the law is that its intent was to protect and preserve the worship of God. Intermarriage with other people who worship other gods would strain this commitment and eventually might dilute this indevour altogether. I believe that outsiders could enter the Zionist nation if they first converted and chose to worship their God. In such a case they would not be forbidden to marry within the Zionist so long as they did not break the rule of worshipping other gods. It has NOTHING to do with saying that such and such a group of people is better or worse than another. In fact, the same still applies to us today. If I marry someone who does not worship as I do they will inevitably hinder or lead astray my endevour to serve my God. In fact, I believe this was Solomons downfall in the OT. He took on to many wives who sought other gods who eventually led him astray.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 12:47
    Originally posted by whodey
    This is not my take on the command not to intermarry within other tribes/cultures in the Mosaic law. My take on the law is that its intent was to protect and preserve the worship of God. Intermarriage with other people who worship other gods would strain this commitment and eventually might dilute this indevour altogether. I believe that outsiders could en ...[text shortened]... wnfall in the OT. He took on to many wives who sought other gods who eventually led him astray.
    I have not read Nehemiah but the original poster said:

"We hear in this chapter that he wants racial/religious purity. No intermarrying. No bilingual stuff for children. And he is very adamant about building a wall to protect against outsiders. Plus he slaps around children and even pulls their hair out if they are of mixed marriages."

Was he wrong and if so can you explain where he got it wrong, as your previous post seemed to be implying that what he said was OK.

Also, putting it into law is similar to making it the law that the people must believe in the Jewish God. But I suppose you don't believe in a secular state anyway.
  11. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 13:08
    I do. I teach them how to think.
    They compared him to Hitler, KKK, etc. We hear in this chapter that he wants racial/religious purity. No intermarrying. No bilingual stuff for children.

Yes, you are teaching them how to think... In the wrong way, according to my way of thinking. Luckily I never was indoctrinated to think something.

But I guess even these children don't want to eat that stuff. Good for them.

I think it's repulsing to lead children to believe something, or "teach them how to think". Extremely repulsing.
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 20:46
    Originally posted by serigado
    [b]They compared him to Hitler, KKK, etc. We hear in this chapter that he wants racial/religious purity. No intermarrying. No bilingual stuff for children.

Yes, you are teaching them how to think... In the wrong way, according to my way of thinking. Luckily I never was indoctrinated to think something.

But I guess even these children don't want to ...[text shortened]... ng to lead children to believe something, or "teach them how to think". Extremely repulsing.[/b]
    Exactly how is I teaching them the wrong way?
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 21:07

What's hilarious is how hypocritical you are. Unless you attend a Unitarian or some-such type of church, it is highly doubtful that the appointing elders knew anything whatsoever about your creative view of the Bible. What a hypocrite!
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 21:13
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    What's hilarious is how hypocritical you are. Unless you attend a Unitarian or some-such type of church, it is highly doubtful that the appointing elders knew anything whatsoever about your creative view of the Bible. What a hypocrite!
    I'm not hearing any complaints from the chillrends. You would make a good stone-throwin pharisee.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 21:31
    I'm not hearing any complaints from the chillrends. You would make a good stone-throwin pharisee.
    Pharisee? Did they even exist?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree