So, at least some of God's commands through His Word is not unchanging;
    that is, it does change.

Do I understand you correctly?

Nemesio
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 08:49
    Originally posted by whodey
    In fact, Biblical Archaelogists would back me regarding many stories in the Bible.
    What is a Biblical Archaeologist? I am guessing it is someone who believes in the bible literally and tries to find archaeological evidence for it. If so then they should in fact back you regarding all stories in the Bible as they believe them to be true.
    Which stories do you believe that there is archaeological evidence for?
    Do you believe that non-Christian archaeologists have confirmed any of it?
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 12:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What is a Biblical Archaeologist? I am guessing it is someone who believes in the bible literally and tries to find archaeological evidence for it. If so then they should in fact back you regarding [b]all stories in the Bible as they believe them to be true.
    Do you believe that non-Christian archaeologists have confirmed any of it?[/b]
    Well... they have found Jericho... It was indeed destroyed, but the dates do not match. Carbon dating is wrong (?)
    Strangely enough, "biblical archaeologists" say carbon dating is right and confirms what the bible says...
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 14:41
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    that is, it does change.

Do I understand you correctly?

Nemesio
    It doesn't sound as though we're on the same page. To which of God's commands are you referring?
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 15:37
    What is a Biblical Archaeologist? I am guessing it is someone who believes in the bible literally and tries to find archaeological evidence for it. If so then they should in fact back you regarding [b]all stories in the Bible as they believe them to be true.
    What is a Biblical Archaeologist? I am guessing it is someone who believes in the bible literally and tries to find archaeological evidence for it.
    Here's a few links to get you started. You probably shouldn't mock what you don't understand or haven't taken the time to research. It makes you look foolish to always be putting your foot in your mouth, and I know that you have at least a respectable level of intelligence.

http://www.asor.org/pubs/nea/ba/BAHP.html
    http://www.jstor.org/journals/00060895.html
    http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/bswbAbOnResource.html
    http://www.drfalesbaa.com/
    http://www.sbl-site.org/Article.aspx?ArticleId=374
    http://mb-soft.com/believe/txw/bibarcha.htm
    http://www.biblicalarcheology.net/
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 15:51
    These are not religious zealots, rather, they are merely scientists who recognize the value of the Biblical text if nothing more than an historical guide. For example, the Bible was the only historical text to refer to the Phillistines. Then they were later discovered by Biblical archealogists.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 19:02
    Schliemann found Troy because he believed the Illiad was factual rather than a complete myth like most did. I don't find anything wrong with using the OT as a guide to find archaeological sites though they still haven't found the seraphim guarding the entrances to the Garden of Eden near the Tigris and Euphrates.
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 21:20
    So the norms which God (through Nehemiah) commanded were ephemeral?

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Some yes, some no.

that is, it does change.

It doesn't sound as though we're on the same page. To which of God's commands are you referring?

This was the sequence of posts. You said 'some yes.' That would be
    the 'some' to which I referred.

Are we now on the same page?

Nemesio
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 14:251 edit
    So the norms which God (through Nehemiah) commanded were ephemeral?

Some yes, some no.

that is, it does change.

Originally posted by Fr at would be
    the 'some' to which I referred.

Are we now on the same page?

Nemesio[/b]
    God commands a man to walk from one town to another. The man does so. Can he continue doing so, once complete? Or, perhaps the command was specific, with respect to time and place--- once executed in the manner proscribed, no longer proscribed?

God poured out the sins of the world on the Lord Jesus Christ, a substitute for us. Does He pour still, or was it finished, as He declared?
  10. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 21:42
    God commands a man to walk from one town to another. The man does so. Can he continue doing so, once complete? Or, perhaps the command was specific, with respect to time and place--- once executed in the manner proscribed, no longer proscribed?

God poured out the sins of the world on the Lord Jesus Christ, a substitute for us. Does He pour still, or was it finished, as He declared?
    Well, that's not what I asked. I asked if the norms that God commanded
    were ephemeral, not if there were time-sensitive commands (like commands
    delivered to Jonah, for example).

Do you wish to revise your answer to my original question?

Nemesio
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 15:21
    Well, that's not what I asked. I asked if the norms that God commanded
    were ephemeral, not if there were time-sensitive commands (like commands
    delivered to Jonah, for example).

Do you wish to revise your answer to my original question?

Nemesio
    The specifics of race, yes. These were temporary for the time in which the commands were given.
    The concept of becoming entangled, no. We are to this day commanded to remain free of worldly thinking.
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 21:35
    The specifics of race, yes. These were temporary for the time in which the commands were given.
    What in Nehemiah leads you to believe that the commands relating to race were temporary?
    Is there anywhere else later in the Bible that leads you to believe that the racial restrictions
    were lifted?

Nemesio
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Oct '07 19:17
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Schliemann found Troy because he believed the Illiad was factual rather than a complete myth like most did. I don't find anything wrong with using the OT as a guide to find archaeological sites though they still haven't found the seraphim guarding the entrances to the Garden of Eden near the Tigris and Euphrates.
    And they never will. 😉
  14. Joined
    20 Jun '07
    Moves
    28 Oct '07 20:39
    If I were teaching the children I would emphasise that Nehemiah did not dislike other religions or there people, more over he simply loved the Yahweh people. At the time, the religion was very weak, Nehemiah had to protect it in any way hecould. His reasons are justified by his cause. Remind the children he if had the the religion be confused and mixed with other practises such as Baalism Christianity would have been lost forever.
    Were the children not impressed by his militant leadership skills.
    Maybe they are too young to understand the complexity of the situation.

My explanantion is rooted in my own experioance of being taught. Saying that I'm not Christian, but would have not objection to Nehemiah in theory.
  15. weedhopper
    Moves
    28 Oct '07 22:24
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Teaching Sunday school can be rough sometimes. Today's lesson was from the 13 chapter of Nehemiah and the kids really didn't like him. They compared him to Hitler, KKK, etc. We hear in this chapter that he wants racial/religious purity. No intermarrying. No bilingual stuff for children. And he is very adamant about building a wall to protect against ...[text shortened]... s their hair out if they are of mixed marriages.

Should I just stick to Jesus from now on?
    My Bible says Nehemiah slapped the PARENTS and pulled out THEIR hair. I realize there are many translations, but that one makes a big difference to me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree