1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 10:37
    Your fanaticism is pathetic.

The zeal with which Onfray, Hitchens, Dawkins and the like act mimics the arrogant
    moral high-ground of an enlightened holy man furiously defending his new-found
    religion, while pontificating from their secular thrones what we all should believe.

Hypocrites.
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 10:46
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Your fanaticism is pathetic.

The zeal with which Onfray, Hitchens, Dawkins and the like act mimics the arrogant
    moral high-ground of an enlightened holy man furiously defending his new-found
    religion, while pontificating from their secular thrones what we all should believe.

Hypocrites.
    😴
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 11:38
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    😴
    Exhibit A.- Pathetic.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 11:59
    They're absolutely right, though. 😏
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 12:32
    Originally posted by Palynka
    They're absolutely right, though. 😏
    They're so absolutely right that they commit the same offensive errors as the guilt-laden religious zealots? Sounds a bit off, don't you think?
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 12:44
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    They're so absolutely right that they commit the same offensive errors as the guilt-laden religious zealots? Sounds a bit off, don't you think?
    Not really.

Surely you can think of quite a few more important errors committed by the guilt-laden religious zealots. Besides, they will adjust their beliefs based on what's observed, while faith is at best belief without observation and at worse belief that requires the denial of observation.
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 12:53
    Not really.

Surely you can think of quite a few more important errors committed by the guilt-laden religious zealots. Besides, they will adjust their beliefs based on what's observed, while faith is at best belief without observation and at worse belief that requires the denial of observation.
    And where's the freedom? Don't tell me a smart chap like you
    subscribes the god-like attitudes of the "Holy Men of New Atheism"?

There is no difference between those dudes and the quran burners
    and crazy imams. By definition, atheism is a religion and, as such,
    it can be judged by its merits as well as the stand of its members.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 13:00
    And where's the freedom? Don't tell me a smart chap like you
    subscribes the god-like attitudes of the "Holy Men of New Atheism"?

There is no difference between those dudes and the quran burners
    and crazy imams. By definition, atheism is a religion and, as such,
    it can be judged by its merits as well as the stand of its members.
    Freedom? They don't deny you freedom of religion, they just say that it's stupid to believe in elves and fairies.

I'm also not sure what the god-like attitudes are that you want me to subscribe to. As far as I see it, that kind of talk is just more delusion from someone who just heard the facts and stuck to his guns of denial. And are you, in your own words, different from a quran burner and a crazy imam? You seem to have a lot of hate to share here.
  9. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 13:15
    You seem to have a lot of hate to share here.
    I was raped by an imam.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 13:29
    I was raped by an imam.
    Sure you were. Who is the hypocrite now?
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 13:34
    Not really.

Difference in color, perhaps, but certainly not difference in kind. The folks previously mentioned are ARDENT, STRIDENT God-haters. There is virtually no give with someone who is thusly obsessed. I mean, really: who makes a living out of telling others they are idiots?
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 13:37
    Difference in color, perhaps, but certainly not difference in kind. The folks previously mentioned are ARDENT, STRIDENT God-haters. There is virtually no give with someone who is thusly obsessed. I mean, really: who makes a living out of telling others they are idiots?
    They seem pretty calm and collected to me. In fact, it seems to me that obsession lies in those who continuously try to pigeon-hole them using flaky moral arguments regarding their characters because they cannot bear the fact that faith is just an euphemism for denial.
  13. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 13:39
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Sure you were. Who is the hypocrite now?
    Are you rejoicing in the fact that a fellow human being
    was physically and mentally hurt?

Interesting. Perhaps Palynka and you would make great
    friends.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 13:47
    They seem pretty calm and collected to me. In fact, it seems to me that obsession lies in those who continuously try to pigeon-hole them using flaky moral arguments regarding their characters because they cannot bear the fact that faith is just an euphemism for denial.
    Calm and collected, huh? Either you are too enamored of the trees or your eyesight is too narrow to realize the forest, but whatever the cause, these guys are far, far, far from normal in their obsessions.

As far as those whose faith is simply a substitute for denial, I am certain that such is possible and evident on both sides of the aisle.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 14:021 edit
    As far as those whose faith is simply a substitute for denial, I am certain that such is possible and evident on both sides of the aisle.
    Only one side requires belief in what we cannot observe. That's the only side that requires faith. The positions are not symmetric.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree