1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 01:14
    Forget everything I ever said before. I'm going to start over again in this forum. I will soon start a thread with an entirely new approach to this debate. I hope!
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 01:17
    Originally posted by josephw
    Forget everything I ever said before. I'm going to start over again in this forum. I will soon start a thread with an entirely new approach to this debate. I hope!
    Looking forward to it. 😀 🙂
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 01:19
    Originally posted by SharpeMother
    Looking forward to it. 😀 🙂
    You're probably the only one! 😉
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 01:22
    what has happened, what has inspired you?
  5. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 01:33
    What debate?
    It's just two completely unrelated streams of thought passing through each other without any sort of interaction. A debate suggests the possibility that someone might be persuaded otherwise in their views - how will this happen when the views are with respect to profoundly held beliefs.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 01:37
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    what has happened, what has inspired you?
    Just an idea. I'll post a thread with it soon. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe next week.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 01:41
    Originally posted by amannion
    What debate?
    It's just two completely unrelated streams of thought passing through each other without any sort of interaction. A debate suggests the possibility that someone might be persuaded otherwise in their views - how will this happen when the views are with respect to profoundly held beliefs.
    That's why I'm starting all over again. Perhaps you will be persuaded! 🙂
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 01:421 edit
    Originally posted by amannion
    What debate?
    because if you can produce reason which substantiates your beliefs and which persuaded you to adopt or even reject beliefs, is it not possible that someone else may also deem that they are plausible? it is not enough to simply state that beliefs have no basis, for without a basis they may be easily refuted, however, if on the other hand it may be demonstrated that they have a solid basis, then how shall one be persuaded to believe otherwise? for example you are wont to state that the bible is a book of fairy tales, well ok, but what substantiates this belief? if there is no reason other than a personal opinion then how shall others be persuaded that this is the case?
  9. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 02:09
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    because if you can produce reason which substantiates your beliefs and which persuaded you to adopt or even reject beliefs, is it not possible that someone else may also deem that they are plausible? it is not enough to simply state that beliefs have no basis, for without a basis they may be easily refuted, however, if on the other hand it may be d ...[text shortened]... o reason other than a personal opinion then how shall others be persuaded that this is the case?
    We're not arguing factual cases here, we're arguing beliefs. The requirements for a case that you or I could present to the other are far in excess of anything required for a simple factual argument.
    I'm not sure I've stated the fairy tale basis of the bible, although you may be right. I certainly argue for the fairy tale basis of supernatural belief in a god. This is based on the overwhelming similarities between the mythical supernatural creatures found in fairy tales and between gods as described by many religious people.
    But of course, these are overwhelming for me, and I would guess, hardly relevant at all to you. Our beliefs filter completely the ways in which we respond to this notion.
    What you say is perfectly true - but these are not any ordinary arguments are they. Religious beliefs (or lack of them) are fundamental to the ways in which we view the world. These are not easy to influence.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 05:41
    Well why don't you start out by giving yourself a reputation for honesty and admit that many of the things you said in the past were outright wrong. If you simply disappear from every thread that isn't going your way and start a new thread then pretty soon you look somewhat dishonest.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 17:16
    Either turn over a new leaf or go back to your origonal line of thinking. Choose one of these alternatives and then stick with it no matter what .
    Don't make the error of 'sitting on the fence'. If your thoughts are pure and in accord with 'God' then you will be able to slice through any crap that comes your way, though you will be thouroghly tested...
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Oct '09 04:00
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Well why don't you start out by giving yourself a reputation for honesty and admit that many of the things you said in the past were outright wrong. If you simply disappear from every thread that isn't going your way and start a new thread then pretty soon you look somewhat dishonest.
    I've always been honest. But I have been wrong too. I've admitted that before.

I guess what I mean by saying 'forget everything I ever said', is that nothing has been proven nor has anyone been persuaded to change their mind about whether there be a God or not. So, I'm going to start all over again and come at this whole thing from an entirely new perspective or approach.

It will probably be a dismal failure, but what the heck. I'm just trying to be innovative.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Oct '09 04:05
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Either turn over a new leaf or go back to your origonal line of thinking. Choose one of these alternatives and then stick with it no matter what .
    Don't make the error of 'sitting on the fence'. If your thoughts are pure and in accord with 'God' then you will be able to slice through any crap that comes your way, though you will be thouroghly tested...
    Sometimes, karoly, you are profound.

Yes. You could say I'm turning over a new leaf so to speak as it relates to this forum.

"If your thoughts are pure and in accord with 'God' then you will be able to slice through any crap that comes your way, though you will be thoroughly tested..."

Excellent!
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Oct '09 04:14
    Sometimes, karoly, you are profound.

Yes. You could say I'm turning over a new leaf so to speak as it relates to this forum.

[b]"If your thoughts are pure and in accord with 'God' then you will be able to slice through any crap that comes your way, though you will be thoroughly tested..."

Excellent![/b]
    😉- we are all climbing the same mountain
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Oct '09 04:18
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    😉- we are all climbing the same mountain
    But some are blind and can't find their way.
    And there are so many guides.
    Who is telling the truth?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree