Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Spirituality

Spirituality

  1. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    03 May '18 11:11
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43978510

    Abortions are still legal in Iowa but some conservative objections to abortions have been incorporated into stricter criteria and regulations. [Please correct me if that summary is off-target.]

    Does this represent a reasonable compromise in a country where, broadly speaking - among women - 37% think it should be generally available, 37% think it should be available but with stricter limits than now, and 24% think it should not be permitted? [I got these stats from wiki; again correct me if you think they are wide of the mark.]
  2. Standard member Ghost of a Duke
    Zen Master
    03 May '18 12:51
    Originally posted by @fmf
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43978510

    Abortions are still legal in Iowa but some conservative objections to abortions have been incorporated into stricter criteria and regulations. [Please correct me if that summary is off-target.]

    Does this represent a reasonable compromise in a country where, broadly speaking - among women - 37% think it shou ...[text shortened]... rmitted? [I got these stats from wiki; again correct me if you think they are wide of the mark.]
    Not sure I can deal with the topics of capital punishment and abortion in the same day.
  3. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    03 May '18 13:00 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Not sure I can deal with the topics of capital punishment and abortion in the same day.
    And there was me, about to bump the threads about child sex abuse, and fear of death to the top of the page.
  4. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    04 May '18 02:31
    Originally posted by @fmf
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43978510

    Abortions are still legal in Iowa but some conservative objections to abortions have been incorporated into stricter criteria and regulations. [Please correct me if that summary is off-target.]

    Does this represent a reasonable compromise in a country where, broadly speaking - among women - 37% think it shou ...[text shortened]... rmitted? [I got these stats from wiki; again correct me if you think they are wide of the mark.]
    A reasonable compromise?

    This bill would restrict lawful abortions to approx. the first six weeks, which is before many women even know they're pregnant.

    This is almost an outright ban on abortion in Iowa. So much for women's rights. No, this is not reasonable. My guess is that it will be found unconstitutional and a clear violation of Roe v. Wade.
  5. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    04 May '18 02:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    This bill would restrict lawful abortions to approx. the first six weeks, which is before many women even know they're pregnant.
    But surely it's possible to test for pregnancy within six weeks of having had sex at a time when the woman was likely to get pregnant? As far as I know, a pregnancy is generally detectable 25 days after ovulation by ultrasound. That's about three weeks. A pregnancy test can detect hCG hormone in urine or blood after implantation. This occurs on average within the range of 6-12 days after fertilization. That's two weeks at most. What exactly is your objection to six weeks?
  6. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    04 May '18 03:07
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    A reasonable compromise?
    How many weeks would be a reasonable compromise?
  7. Standard member Romans1009
    tiger loves PB&J
    04 May '18 03:37
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    A reasonable compromise?

    This bill would restrict lawful abortions to approx. the first six weeks, which is before many women even know they're pregnant.

    This is almost an outright ban on abortion in Iowa. So much for women's rights. No, this is not reasonable. My guess is that it will be found unconstitutional and a clear violation of Roe v. Wade.
    Even left-wing abortion supporters think the Roe vs. Wade decision was terrible Constitutional law. It’ll never be repealed, though.
  8. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    04 May '18 04:40
    Originally posted by @fmf
    But surely it's possible to test for pregnancy within six weeks of having had sex at a time when the woman was likely to get pregnant? As far as I know, a pregnancy is generally detectable 25 days after ovulation by ultrasound. That's about three weeks. A pregnancy test can detect hCG hormone in urine or blood after implantation. This occurs on average within t ...[text shortened]... days after fertilization. That's two weeks at most. What exactly is your objection to six weeks?
    However, the fact is that the Iowa law demands that they attempt to detect a fetal heartbeat and deny the procedure if one is detected. This is why I said approx. 6 weeks. This is too early for most of the women who would be in the position of the decision to make a fully informed decision.

    The purpose of this bill is simply to deny women the right to an abortion under Roe v. Wade. This is why I feel it will be decided unconstitutional, but not before they've gotten their 15 minutes of fame from the law.
  9. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    04 May '18 04:44
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Even left-wing abortion supporters think the Roe vs. Wade decision was terrible Constitutional law. It’ll never be repealed, though.
    I'm a "liberal" and I disagree. That decision was a watershed moment in women's rights in America.
  10. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    04 May '18 04:45
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    However, the fact is that the Iowa law demands that they attempt to detect a fetal heartbeat and deny the procedure if one is detected. This is why I said approx. 6 weeks. This is too early for most of the women who would be in the position of the decision to make a fully informed decision.
    So what would you propose as the number of weeks of pregnancy ~ after which abortion should be illegal ~ that you think would be a reasonable compromise in the circumstances?
  11. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    04 May '18 04:46
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    I'm a "liberal" and I disagree. That decision [Roe vs. Wade] was a watershed moment in women's rights in America.
    What is the Biblical basis for your opinion about abortions rights as they are laid out in Roe vs Wade?
  12. Standard member Romans1009
    tiger loves PB&J
    04 May '18 05:00
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    I'm a "liberal" and I disagree. That decision was a watershed moment in women's rights in America.
    What do you think of a couple who aborts female babies in the first trimester because they want a son? Do you think that’s Ok?
  13. Standard member Romans1009
    tiger loves PB&J
    04 May '18 05:02
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    I'm a "liberal" and I disagree. That decision was a watershed moment in women's rights in America.
    I suppose a woman taking birth control or getting her boyfriend to buy condoms is too much of an inconvenience.
  14. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    04 May '18 05:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @fmf
    What is the Biblical basis for your opinion about abortions rights as they are laid out in Roe vs Wade?
    You know as well as I do, that abortion is not mentioned in the Bible.
  15. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    04 May '18 05:16
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    I suppose a woman taking birth control or getting her boyfriend to buy condoms is too much of an inconvenience.
    Excuse me?

    Tell that to the Roman Catholic Church.