1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    05 May '18 06:07
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Up to 26 weeks is OK?
    No way.
    I believe 20 weeks is practical and ethical.

Prem babies have survived at 24 weeks.
    I don't think survival ought to be the criterion. A person in a permanent vegetative state is technically surviving, but their actual life is over.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 May '18 02:33
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    I don't think survival ought to be the criterion. A person in a permanent vegetative state is technically surviving, but their actual life is over.
    The obvious difference being, a person in a permanent vegetative state often had an opportunity to live his or her life; a baby in the womb that’s aborted didn’t.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 May '18 02:54
    I don't think survival ought to be the criterion.
    I think survival/viability has to be a criterion to some degree otherwise whatever compromise is reached is built upon arguably arbitrary cut-off points which make for a hopeless battlefield on which sides that have such diametrically opposite views seek to apply their favoured restrictions.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 May '18 03:222 edits
    I think a reasonable compromise is banning third-trimester abortions, except in cases involving rape, incest, or danger to the mother's life.

Currently science indicates that the fetus has developed both a mind (rudimentary consciousness) and the ability to suffer going into the third trimester. I believe that is the point it should get the right ...[text shortened]... y as much as possible, yet not allowing an innocent human person to have their life snuffed out.
    I think I have absorbed and internalized my personal moral distaste for abortions from my Christian background. I could not imagine ever having been party to an abortion in my marriage (aside from the exceptions you cited). I am nonplussed by behaviour that results in "unwanted" pregnancies. And I am naturally concerned about the impact on the mindmaps of the man and woman involved, more especially the woman.

I have talked a couple of women out of having an abortion, and in both cases, they later were unequivocal about being happy that they had not gone through with it and I have met their children.

On another two occasions, the women involved ~ again, close friends/family ~ went ahead despite my contribution to their decision-making process, and once they'd made the decision I supported them fully and without reservation.

As for living in a secular society and being a supporter of women's rights ~ more especially women's rights as they would perceive and apply them ~ I think that the law as it stands in the UK is probably a good compromise [my ignorance of the exact details of that law notwithstanding].
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    06 May '18 04:51
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    The obvious difference being, a person in a permanent vegetative state often had an opportunity to live his or her life; a baby in the womb that’s aborted didn’t.
    Yeah, but how is that relevant?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 May '18 04:54
    Yeah, but how is that relevant?
    I think survival/viability has to be a criterion to some degree otherwise whatever compromise is reached is built upon arguably arbitrary cut-off points which make for a hopeless battlefield on which sides that have such diametrically opposite views seek to apply their favoured restrictions.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 May '18 01:22
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I don't see how viability is any less arguable as a criterion than any of the others. None of us are completely viable; we need help from other people and the environment. So it goes with the newborn.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 May '18 01:27
    I don't see how viability is any less arguable as a criterion than any of the others. None of us are completely viable; we need help from other people and the environment. So it goes with the newborn.
    I thought we were talking about a foetus and not a newborn baby.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 May '18 20:46
    I thought we were talking about a foetus and not a newborn baby.
    I was talking about human viability in general.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 May '18 00:25
    I was talking about human viability in general.
    OK, because no one is considering aborting newborn babies, I was thinking along the lines of a foetus' "viability" being its ability to survive outside the uterus. A newborn baby can do this. In fact foetuses from the age of about 24 weeks are seen by doctors as being viable or possibly viable according to this definition. Therefore the criteria pertaining to that "24 weeks" cut off point become crucial to the issue.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 May '18 02:461 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    A reasonable compromise?

This bill would restrict lawful abortions to approx. the first six weeks, which is before many women even know they're pregnant.

This is almost an outright ban on abortion in Iowa. So much for women's rights. No, this is not reasonable. My guess is that it will be found unconstitutional and a clear violation of Roe v. Wade.
    https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/05/03/u2-wants-irelands-abortion-ban-repealed-and-fans-react-a-lot-of-your-songs-now-very-questionable

Not to worry Suzy, U2 has come out with "Christians" like yourself all in favor of abortion and are coming to the rescue.

They have done a remake of there hit album, "Achtung Baby"

Here is a remake of the song "Zoo Station"

Zoo Station
    I'm ready, I'm ready for the laughing gas
    I'm ready, I'm ready for what's next
    I'm ready to suck it out - I'm ready to end its life
    I'm ready to say I'm glad its not alive
    I'm ready, I'm ready for the push
    In the cool of the night - in the warmth of the breeze
    I've been crawling around on my hands and knees
    Just down the line - Zoo Station
    The end of the line - Zoo Station
    I'm ready, I'm ready for the protestors
    I'm ready to take it to have it beat
    I'm ready for the forcepts - ready for the kill
    Ready to let go of the parasite
    I'm ready, ready for the crush
    Two pops and off with it's skull!
    It's alright - it's alright --
    It's not really alive, it's not really alive
    Hey baby, hey baby --
    It's alright - it's alright
    Goodbye!.............................Loser.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 May '18 02:49
    Of course, children need a song as well. Perhaps Common Core will start having the children sing it in schools around the country.

How about this?

Jesus loves abortions this I know,
    For the Bible tells me so;
    Little ones to Him belong,
    They are weak but He is strong.
    Yes, Jesus loves abortions!
    The Bible tells me so.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 May '18 02:512 edits
    Really, all the Left needs to do is do what U2 has done, which is incorporate abortion and gay marriage and Marxism into the gospels. If you are successful, I'm certain the US will become a Christian theocracy within a few years.

The problem is, however, lots of people have Bibles and can read. Not good.

Deviants like yourself though should not lose heart though.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 May '18 03:211 edit
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Really, all the Left needs to do is do what U2 has done, which is incorporate abortion and gay marriage and Marxism into the gospels. If you are successful, I'm certain the US will become a Christian theocracy within a few years.

The problem is, however, lots of people have Bibles and can read. Not good.

Deviants like yourself though should not lose heart though.
    Does the new Iowa law represent a realistic compromise in your nation where, broadly speaking - among women - 37% think abortion should be generally available, 37% think it should be available but with stricter limits than now, and 24% think it should not be permitted? In real terms, what do you believe the law should be?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 May '18 10:112 edits
    Does the new Iowa law represent a realistic compromise in your nation where, broadly speaking - among women - 37% think abortion should be generally available, 37% think it should be available but with stricter limits than now, and 24% think it should not be permitted? In real terms, what do you believe the law should be?
    I don't really care what percentage approve or disapprove of abortion. Factoring this into the issue is a logical fallacy because it has nothing to do with the issue. Besides, you took a poll before Roe vs. Wade, the consensus would have been that abortion was immoral, but now after Roe vs. Wade people would probably say it is not ideal, but OK. All this shows is that people are lemmings to the 9 black robes. But I do understand that public opinion is all Progressives care about. They don't care about right and wrong because they don't believe right and wrong exists. They just want mob rule.

An unborn child is either a human being with rights like you and I or they are not. From what I have observed, 99,9% of unborn children come out human, so they really must be.

There is that 0.1% though that don't come out human, more than likely because the birth fairy has not come round to wave her magic wand over the fetus as it comes out of the womb to make it human.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree