1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '17 16:04
    We need some fresh fish in here; what with the last of the forum JWs now facing down the barrel of a possible permanent ban, dasa banned and many other just dying off or leaving, we are running low on forum contributors.
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    03 Sep '17 16:51
    Considering the vast amount of Muslims around the world it's a shame not to mention very peculiar none of them seem to (want to) post on this website.
  3. Joined
    14 Apr '15
    Moves
    03 Sep '17 17:18
    Why are they being banned? Just curious. The few I know are quite sincere in their beliefs.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '17 17:401 edit
    Originally posted by @pzn2pawn
    Why are they being banned? Just curious. The few I know are quite sincere in their beliefs.
    I don't think insincerity of belief is or ever has been cause for banning.

There were 4 JWs posting here at one point; one was harassed by the other 3 and left, another left several times in various hissy-fits and is still away on the latest one, the third one left with him in hissy-fit solidarity and the final one has just received what could be an extended ban for brining the site into disrepute.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '17 18:451 edit
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    Considering the vast amount of Muslims around the world it's a shame not to mention very peculiar none of them seem to (want to) post on this website.
    "Many of the great Muslim scholars have clearly stated the prohibition and non-permissibility of chess."

http://www.inter-islam.org/Prohibitions/Chess.html

Other such sites exist, e.g.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/21/chess-forbidden-in-islam-rules-saudi-arabia-grand-mufti
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    03 Sep '17 19:06
    Originally posted by @js357
    "Many of the great Muslim scholars have clearly stated the prohibition and non-permissibility of chess."

http://www.inter-islam.org/Prohibitions/Chess.html

Other such sites exist, e.g.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/21/chess-forbidden-in-islam-rules-saudi-arabia-grand-mufti
    Didn't know that.

They're still welcome here, though. Who cares about playing chess anyway?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '17 19:18
    Who cares about playing chess anyway?
    You would be very sternly looked at if you said that in the wrong forum.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Sep '17 09:541 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    We need some fresh fish in here; what with the last of the forum JWs now facing down the barrel of a possible permanent ban, dasa banned and many other just dying off or leaving, we are running low on forum contributors.
    Agreed. I think many need to change tact. You know, instead of telling others how it is (they are satanic or whatever) they should just just share ideas and information
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Sep '17 09:55
    Could you blame them?
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    04 Sep '17 10:49
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    Could you blame them?
    Please elaborate.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Sep '17 10:511 edit
    Didn't know that.

They're still welcome here, though. Who cares about playing chess anyway?
    I've noticed that when someone posts something on Spirituality sometimes certain posters will pounce on it. "You haven't played many games of chess yet."

It seems to them you are not a legitimate contributor of Spirituality matters unless you have had a lot of chess games.
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    04 Sep '17 10:51
    FMF, I'm interested. Do the Muslims around you not play chess? Is it a big no-no?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '17 13:33
    FMF, I'm interested. Do the Muslims around you not play chess? Is it a big no-no?
    They play chess. Chess boards are widely available in shops, including dirt cheap ones. You see pedicab drivers and traders playing on the pavement. There are sets available in cafes and hotels. However if some fanatical big mouth in the Middle East has come out with a bit of orange-leather-strap-and-plastic-bag theology saying chess is haram, then no doubt some self-anointed Islamic cranks here have parotted it or is spreading the "news" by social media. But I've not heard it yet.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '17 13:44
    Originally posted by @pzn2pawn
    Listen, just because they are banned does not mean they are not welcome! 😠
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '17 13:44
    There was a pretty active Palestinian-American called Scherzo - I think he was a Muslim, I can't remember for sure - who posted 5,000-6,000 times 2007-2010. I think his focus might have been the Debates Forum.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree