1. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 00:34
    Originally posted by PatNovak
    I realize you want to make ad hominem attacks instead of defending the passages in my original OP, because those passages are pretty indefensible, and you want to distract from them. But I would caution you against suggesting that people read the bible for themselves, because the best way to turn a Christian into a non-Christian is to have them actually read the bible.
    Defend the Bible? Why?

I strongly suggest that people read the Bible for themselves. If it turns a Christian into a non-Christian then so be it.

On second thought .. God calls people. Reading the Bible cannot turn away someone called by God.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 03:166 edits
    Originally posted by PatNovak
    1 Timothy 2:11-12 (NIV) - A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in ...[text shortened]... w Christians can justify passages like this that promote treating women as such inferior beings.
    Here's another view, I don't know much about the site or author but at first reading it seems reasonable.

http://www.gospelassemblyfree.com/facts/women.htm

I'd be interested in knowing what organised religions represented here think of this. The JWs of course and for example.

I have been in churches where women wear hats in deference to these scriptures and I've been in churches where women run around the room waving long ribbons and dancing in what I feel is a paganistic way. I've seen men dominating the laity and depriving the church of the ministry of women and ignoring the fact that there were several prophetesses mentioned in the NT.

Organised religion sucks. Some people will use any excuse they can find to exert power and control over another, including sexism. I feel there is sufficient evidence for me, to show that the NT church was not sexist but was dealing with some serious issues, such as female god worship (Diana) for example.

However I can understand why some people read these texts and think the worst. I can also see people who will look for any reason to justify their apostasy and turning away from The Lord.

Apologies for all the edits, just typo corrections.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 10:392 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Here's another view, I don't know much about the site or author but at first reading it seems reasonable.

http://www.gospelassemblyfree.com/facts/women.htm

I'd be interested in knowing what organised religions represented here think of this. The JWs of course and for example.

I have been in churches where women wear hats in deference to these s ...[text shortened]... apostasy and turning away from The Lord.

Apologies for all the edits, just typo corrections.
    Nice post.

I grew up in a small sect some 50 years ago and I remember as a child why, with a group of around 20, educated intelligent women were sidelined and dominated by men who were often less than capable of running the church properly.

Once you read the Bible most people realise:
    - the no1 aim is to please God by following the example of His son Jesus.
    - that there are specific laws for the Jews only
    - that there are guidelines for Gentile churches ie their operation and politics
    - that there are suggestions for conduct and dress for both men and women etc
    - that not every word that Paul spoke came from God. Paul can and did give his opinion and his opinion would have been tainted by the customs of the day, and not applicable now.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree