1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 06:09
    Nietzsche's Consolation

“The thought of suicide is a great consolation: by means of it one gets through many a dark night.” (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Such a void within the intellect of an intelligent man results when all truth is relative and all hope is temporal. How sad.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 08:29
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Nietzsche's Consolation

“The thought of suicide is a great consolation: by means of it one gets through many a dark night.” (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Such a void within the intellect of an intelligent man results when all truth is relative and all hope is temporal. How sad.[/b]
    Even sadder is someone peddling their favorite delusion based on the claim that it will make you happy. Especially considering that you recently started a thread claiming the exact opposite ie that Christianity does not lead to happiness and that a bottle of port is more effective.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 08:45

Such a void within the intellect of an intelligent man results when all truth is relative and all hope is temporal. How sad.[/b]
    poor guy, grew a gigantic beard and wondered why chicks were not interested in him, the father of the new morality he failed in his endeavour to find anything superior to the Christ.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 09:58
    Why is it that you theists always think that all (or even most) atheists have high
    regard for Nietzsche's philosophy?

Just because he was an atheist doesn't mean that atheists in general agree with
    him or his philosophy.

Frankly I generally regard him as a depressive who should have got out more.

He is certainly not the basis of any morality I follow.

I think he's just a convenient straw man for you to attack.
    Show people how bleak his outlook was and then claim all atheists think that way
    and therefore atheism sucks.
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 10:141 edit

at least he had enough hope to never actually commit sucide, unlike your man jesus. there is nothing more depressing than his blatant disregard and condescending attitude towards death.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 12:12
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Why is it that you theists always think that all (or even most) atheists have high
    regard for Nietzsche's philosophy?

Just because he was an atheist doesn't mean that atheists in general agree with
    him or his philosophy.

Frankly I generally regard him as a depressive who should have got out more.

He is certainly not the basis of any morality ...[text shortened]... eak his outlook was and then claim all atheists think that way
    and therefore atheism sucks.
    but it does suck, it has nothing to offer but a negation of theism.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 12:13
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    at least he had enough hope to never actually commit sucide, unlike your man jesus. there is nothing more depressing than his blatant disregard and condescending attitude towards death.
    Christ conquered death, your bearded and dateless dude Nietzsche never did.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 12:38
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    but it does suck, it has nothing to offer but a negation of theism.
    Now we are getting into "believing stuff because it makes you feel happy regardless
    of whether or not it's true" territory.

When looking at whether or not theism or atheism is right, it is irrelevant which makes you
    feel good. God/s either exist or they don't. Independent of how anyone feels about the
    subject.

Also, you are yet again making the mistake that atheism is a source of philosophy or meaning
    or morals.
    When it is in fact a result of philosophy and morals.

It doesn't have to offer anything.

Having said that, I don't see theism offering you anything either.
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 12:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Christ conquered death, your bearded and dateless dude Nietzsche never did.
    He did manage to actually exist, and wasn't a fictional character, however.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 13:021 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Even sadder is someone peddling their favorite delusion based on the claim that it will make you happy. Especially considering that you recently started a thread claiming the exact opposite ie that Christianity does not lead to happiness and that a bottle of port is more effective.
    "... you recently started a thread claiming the exact opposite ie that Christianity does not lead to happiness and that a bottle of port is more effective." -- twhitehead

"Bottle of Port... "

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a Bottle of Port
    would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable,
    I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” (C.S. Lewis) Thoughts?

Clive [not Bobby] observed how disturbing and unsettling it is to first taste the foreign acidity of truth as compared with sweetened half truths and convenient lies; with the apprehension and acceptance of absolute truth, tranquility results.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 13:144 edits

Googlefudge,

Even skeptical New Testament scholar Bart Erhman says saying Jesus was a fictional character in history is historically wrong. (New atheists tried to recruit him to propogate unbelief that Jesus ever existed ).

YouTube

Talking about "feel good" beliefs, yours, that Jesus of Nazareth was non-historical as opposed Frederick Nietzsche ? That is nothing more than your "feel good" ignorant statement.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 13:25
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    The Risen Christ willingly experienced separation from God the Father for three hours on our behalf. His substitutionary spiritual death satisfied the demands of Integrity (Justice/Righteousness). Christ tasted unspeakable agonies of separation from the Father to make spiritual reconciliation possible. His Resurrection attests to victory over physical death.
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 13:33
    Originally posted by sonship

Googlefudge,

Even skeptical New Testament scholar Bart Erhman says saying Jesus was a fictional character in history is historically wrong. (New atheists tried to recruit him to propogate unbelief that Jesus ever existed ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ...[text shortened]... pposed Frederick Nietzsche ? That is nothing more than your "feel good" ignorant statement.
    The Jesus Character in the Bible is pure fiction.
    The 'son of god' of the bible didn't exist any more than god does.

It might be that there was a real person, but its unlikely.

http://www.freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/667

Yesterday Bart Ehrman posted a brief article at the Huffington Post (Did Jesus Exist?) that essentially trashtalks all mythicists (those who argue Jesus Christ never actually existed but was a mythical person, as opposed to historicists, who argue the contrary), indiscriminately, with a litany of blatant factual errors and logical fallacies. This is either the worst writing he has ever done, or there are far more serious flaws in his book than I imagined

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/2671

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/1794/
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 13:45
    The Risen Christ willingly experienced separation from God the Father for three hours on our behalf. His substitutionary spiritual death satisfied the demands of Integrity (Justice/Righteousness). Christ tasted unspeakable agonies of separation from the Father to make spiritual reconciliation possible. His Resurrection attests to victory over physical death.
    So basically... "Good News! you don't have to go down into my basement"...
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 13:452 edits

Jesus made suicide obsolete. One commits suicide when one feels he or she simply cannot make it to go on living. This person feels they cannot be reformed, cannot be improved, cannot be rehabilitated, etc. There is no way but to terminate one's existence.

Jesus Christ makes this desperate action obsolete. Whether you loath yourself or love yourself Jesus effectively crucifies you with Himself and brings you back for a whole new start.

Surrendering your life to the Lord Jesus you completely start OVER again from the beginning. That is another reason why conversion is called being "born again" .

So a pioneering Christian, the Apostle Paul, informed us following learners of this -

"I am crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me." (Gal. 2:20)

SUICIDE is obsolete and an inferior remedy to surrendering one's life to the lordship of Jesus.

Instead of Nietzsche contemplating SUICIDE he should have done as Paul did and learn as Paul learned. By receiving Jesus Christ the death and resurrection of Jesus was completely applicable to his own problems by getting the old "I" out of the way and starting over again with a new "I" which is Christ one with him.

Paul was a pioneer of a normal and successful disciple of Christ. How much faith you exercise in what Christ has done for you effects your subjective partaking of these blessings.

Paul realized that Jesus not only died for him that he would be forgiven. Jesus died for him so that his old man, his old fallen Adam "self" could be terminated and he could have a brand new beginning united with the risen Christ.

One more quote. The Roman Christians were firing hard questions to the Apostle Paul worried that some of them might regard being a Christian a license to continue sinning.

"What then shall we say ? Should we continue to sin that grace may abound ? Absolutely not! We who have died to sin, how shall we still live in it?

Or are you ignorant that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death ? We have been buried therefore with Him through baptism into His death, in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so also we might walk in newness of life." (Romans 6:1-4)

We are so thankful God had in Paul the best model of a man using faith to enter into the richest experience of the new covenant salvation. And many others in history followed and learned from his letters and experience.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree