1. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 21:28
    Originally posted by vistesd
    ADDENDA to the above post—

Nietzsche was a misogynist as well. There are possible explanations lurking in his biography, but they do not excuse it.

Nietzsche has been analyzed as a literary figure (apparently his work in German, which I cannot read, earns him high critical praise as a writer), as a (proto- ) psychologist (Freud thought of him as the f ...[text shortened]... reflected (albeit far more simply, and without the mythologization) in the film “Groundhog Day”.
    Groundhog day, now that's my level, awesome film!
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 21:44
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Groundhog day, now that's my level, awesome film!
    Hi, Robbie! I forgot to add in my one post that Groundhog day not only has Nietzsche's eternal recurrence, amor fati and the ubermensch ideal, but also that hero (Bill Murray) falls into nihilism and nihilistic despair--before effectively embracing amor fati.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 22:031 edit
    it is, too many negative vibes man!
    It wouldn't be a bad thing to negate cancer.

(Not that theism is like cancer, but negating things is not itself bad.)
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Aug '13 21:393 edits
    God is Dead - Chesterton verses Nietzsche ( interesting )

YouTube
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    11 Aug '13 22:26
    Originally posted by sonship
    [b] God is Dead - Chesterton verses Nietzsche ( interesting )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4MHDEjar-M[/b]
    I've always appreciated Chesterton, and though I seldom watch youtubes I might take a look. I just want to be clear that I am not arguing for Nietzsche vis-a-vis any other view; I only have been explicating Nietzsche as I have read him. Nonetheless, thanks Jay.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Aug '13 22:38
    I've always appreciated Chesterton, and though I seldom watch youtubes I might take a look. I just want to be clear that I am not arguing for Nietzsche vis-a-vis any other view; I only have been explicating Nietzsche as I have read him. Nonetheless, thanks Jay.
    I don't know a great deal about Nietzsche. Didn't he write "Man and Spider Man? "

lol
  7. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    11 Aug '13 23:13
    Originally posted by sonship
    I don't know a great deal about Nietzsche. Didn't he write "Man and Spider Man? "

lol
    😉
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '13 23:22
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    'There's a hole in the heart of man in the shape of God. If I believe in the Risen Christ and it's just an artful falsehood,
    there is nothing to lose. If true, then I have everything to gain.' (Pascal, 1623-1662)

May I ask what your present denial and rejection has to gain?
    Do I really have to obliterate Pascal again?

Pascal's wager is a really classically stupid argument.

Keep using it and I will show you just how stupid it is.

Also, I have no hole in my heart, god shaped or otherwise.
    And I take offence at the suggestion that I do.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Aug '13 23:251 edit
    Hi, Robbie! I forgot to add in my one post that Groundhog day not only has Nietzsche's eternal recurrence, amor fati and the ubermensch ideal, but also that hero (Bill Murray) falls into nihilism and nihilistic despair--before effectively embracing amor fati.
    Why cant there be more movies made with an element of morality, practically all good Indian movies have some element of morality, instead we are treated to emptiness, CGI graphics and nothing more, or some psychological meanderings.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Aug '13 12:23
    Why cant there be more movies made with an element of morality, practically all good Indian movies have some element of morality, instead we are treated to emptiness, CGI graphics and nothing more, or some psychological meanderings.
    May I recommend Japanese tv series.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 13:27
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Do I really have to obliterate Pascal again?

Pascal's wager is a really classically stupid argument.

Keep using it and I will show you just how stupid it is.

Also, I have no hole in my heart, god shaped or otherwise.
    And I take offence at the suggestion that I do.
    ... always respect your right to express an interesting opinion.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Aug '13 02:28
    There is another way to see this (and, having read most of the Nietzschean corpus at one time or another, I think is far closer to Nietzsche’s point; remember that Nietzsche was largely an aphoristic writer, whose short sayings formed a dialectic). I urge you to read the whole of Percy’s quote below, rather than cherry-pick it (Percy, by the way, was a pr ...[text shortened]... being alive. It is good to be alive. He goes to work because he doesn't have to.[/b]
    "Thought Experiment: A new cure for depression: The only cure for depression is suicide..." (Walker Percy)

visted, do you buy into this "cure for depression"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree