Nigel Short and the folly of the materialst

Nigel Short and the folly of the materialst

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
26 Apr 15

Originally posted by sonhouse
That is totally true, we ARE our molecules, nothing more. We have some magnetic fields sticking out of our bodies and likewise with some electrical fields but that is not some magical spirit world, we essentially stop at the skin.
Are you seriously trying to state that the sum of our experience can be reduced to a biological molecular level? Oh the folly of the materialist! No one has claimed that its anything to do with magic, That is simply a rather typical assumption.

Moves
26 Apr 15

Originally posted by finnegan
[b]"That's why I made the point that it's not true that there are no biological differences between the sexes."
Sadly, the trivial observation that there are biological differences between the sexes - presumably including the fact they are different sexes - has no bearing on the issue of performance in chess, so your persistence in referring to these d ...[text shortened]... nd accused - there are no thought crimes on RHP to my knowledge so you are dealing in hyperbole.[/b]
I am not misrepresenting what you wrote. You need to take responsibility

you did misrepresent his words. you added an implication (that he was referring to female chess players) that was not there, then built an argument around it.

Moves
26 Apr 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Are you seriously trying to state that the sum of our experience can be reduced to a biological molecular level? Oh the folly of the materialist! No one has claimed that its anything to do with magic, That is simply a rather typical assumption.
just for clarity and so we can have an informed debate. can you please list all the things (off the top of your head) that we experience that do not originate from our biological molecular level? please

rc

Moves
26 Apr 15
1 edit

Originally posted by stellspalfie
just for clarity and so we can have an informed debate. can you please list all the things (off the top of your head) that we experience that do not originate from our biological molecular level? please
Another vain and rather transparent attempt to construct values that have not been explicitly expressed. No one has stated that we do not experience these things in our minds. If you can demonstrate where anyone has stated that we do not experience these things in our minds then please do so now. Personally I will not inflate your bouncy castle of an argument. What was actually stated is that reducing the human experience to a biological level in order to form arguments on that basis is pure folly as Nigel Short has adequately demonstrated. For the sake of clarity can you tell us what it is about that statement that you fail to comprehend?

rc

Moves
26 Apr 15

[b]I am not misrepresenting what you wrote. You need to take responsibility

you did misrepresent his words. you added an implication (that he was referring to female chess players) that was not there, then built an argument around it.[/b]
Just like you are doing in the above? Oh dear dishonesty and hypocrisy, it doesn't look very good for you.

Moves
26 Apr 15
1 edit

Another vain and rather transparent attempt to construct values that have not been explicitly expressed. No one has stated that we do not experience these things in our minds. If you can demonstrate where anyone has stated that we do not experience these things in our minds then please do so now. Personally I will not inflate your bouncy castle of ...[text shortened]... the sake of clarity can you tell us what it is about that statement that you fail to comprehend?
wow, things got very defensive very quickly, its sunday morning, relax robbie.

"No one has stated that we do not experience these things in our minds"

if you would care to reread my question, you will notice that i mention nothing of 'minds' i ask about the 'origins'. referring to where the 'experiences' you refer to below come from.

"Are you seriously trying to state that the sum of our experience can be reduced to a biological molecular level"

rc

Moves
26 Apr 15
7 edits

wow, things got very defensive very quickly, its sunday morning, relax robbie.

[b] "No one has stated that we do not experience these things in our minds"

if you would care to reread my question, you will notice that i mention nothing of 'minds' i ask about the 'origins'. referring to where the 'experiences' you refer to below come from.

[b ...[text shortened]... ing to state that the sum of our experience can be reduced to a biological molecular level" [/b][/b]
I am fed up of people making silly and dishonest arguments which attempt to utilise values that have not been explicitly expressed.

Fine you want to engage in semantics, its up to you. Tell us why making an examination of the origins of the biological electrochemical impulses of our mind explains why we create and appreciate art. If you will not or cannot then you will admit that biology and physics simply are not enough to fully explain the human experience and reducing the human experience to a molecular level in an attempt to explain such phenomena is pure folly. I will hear your confession now.

Moves
26 Apr 15
2 edits

I am fed up of people making silly and dishonest arguments which attempt to utilise values that have not been explicitly expressed.

Fine you want to engage in semantics, its up to you. Tell us why making an examination of the origins of the biological electrochemical impulses of our mind explains why we create and appreciate art. If you will n ...[text shortened]... r level in an attempt to explain such phenomena is pure folly. I will hear your confession now.
semantics? dishonest arguments? values that havent been expressed? what on earth are you on about.

you said this - "Are you seriously trying to state that the sum of our experience can be reduced to a biological molecular level"

i was simply asking - where else do these 'experiences' originate from? i didnt mention the mind, im referring to exactly what YOU wrote a biological molecular level" i have not added any hidden meaning. there is really no need to be so defensive.

now before i answer your question, i would like to point out that you have made no attempt to answer mine (which is bad manners) and shifted the onus onto me. so in the spirit of good manners.

would you explain to me where (if not our molecular/chemical make up) do these experiences come from?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Apr 15
3 edits

Fine you want to engage in semantics, its up to you. Tell us why making an examination of the origins of the biological electrochemical impulses of our mind explains why we create and appreciate art. If you will n ...[text shortened]... r level in an attempt to explain such phenomena is pure folly. I will hear your confession now.
The EVIL will not confess, for there is EVIL in there thoughts continually. They can not break the spell of the strong delusion of the theory of EVIL-lution.
And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

(2 Thessalonians 2:11)

😏

rc

Moves
26 Apr 15
2 edits

semantics? dishonest arguments? values that havent been expressed? what on earth are you on about.

you said this - [b] "Are you seriously trying to state that the sum of our experience can be reduced to a biological molecular level"

i was simply asking - where else do these 'experiences' originate from? i didnt mention the mind, im referring ...[text shortened]... you explain to me where (if not our molecular/chemical make up) do these experiences come from?[/b]
They originate from many avenues, experience, which itself is entirely external to the mind. from observation and learning, from imitation of others, from original thought through the process of reflection and meditation, from what we read. Our thoughts are more than the summation of molecular activity in the mind. It may be the vehicle which carries the message but it does not form the content. Now you will answer the question. Here it is again.

Tell us how reducing the human experience to a molecular level tell us anything about why we create and appreciate art, or admit that in doing so is the ultimate fail and the folly of the materialist.

rc

Moves
26 Apr 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
The [b]EVIL will not confess, for there is EVIL in there thoughts continually. They can not break the spell of the strong delusion of the theory of EVIL-lution.
And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

(2 Thessalonians 2:11)

😏[/b]
I know Jonah Hinds but we must speak in terns that they can not only understand by accept. Rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep.

Moves
26 Apr 15

They originate from many avenues, experience, which itself is entirely external to the mind. from observation and learning, from imitation of others, from original thought through the process of reflection and meditation, from what we read. Our thoughts are more than the summation of molecular activity in the mind. It may be the vehicle which carries the message but it does not form the content. Now you will answer the question.
sure. this the question i think you were referring to. (just in case you want to start calling me dishonest).

"Tell us why making an examination of the origins of the biological electrochemical impulses of our mind explains why we create and appreciate art"

an examination of chemical impulses on its own, will not explain 'why' we create art, it will only explain the thought process and the feelings it creates.

to understand 'why' we would need to include various other scientific disciplines, such as psychologists, sociologists, biologists and mathematicians (amongst many others).

Our thoughts are more than the summation of molecular activity in the mind.

what is the 'more'?

experience, which itself is entirely external to the mind

i would describe experience as purely of the mind (and body). experience is your bodys reaction to things happening externally. without the mind, nothing is experienced. can you describe what you define as experience?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Apr 15

I know Jonah Hinds but we must speak in terns that they can not only understand by accept. Rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep.
You must have a bad keyboard too. It printed out by instead of but. 😏

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Apr 15
2 edits

an examination of chemical impulses on its own, will not explain 'why' we create art, it will only explain the thought process and the feelings it creates.

to understand 'why' we would need to include various other scientific disciplines, such as psychologists, sociologists, biologists and mathematicians (amongst many others).
So in short, it cannot be explained or at least, you cannot explain it.

Moves
26 Apr 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
So in short, it cannot be explained or at least, you cannot explain it.
thats not what i said.