1. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Feb '10 14:031 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    So you regressed all of your own.
    And now you start to quote fairytales...
    How old are you?
    fairy tales? fairy tales?, please it was a nursery rhyme.

Humpty dumty Fabian sat on the wall
    Humpty dumpty Fabian had a great fall
    All the Kings horses and all the kings men
    could put humpty Fabian back together again.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '10 15:59
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    fairy tales? fairy tales?, please it was a nursery rhyme.

Humpty dumty Fabian sat on the wall
    Humpty dumpty Fabian had a great fall
    All the Kings horses and all the kings men
    could put humpty Fabian back together again.
    Well, you have the age, you should know.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Feb '10 06:31
    knightmeister,
    I am still waiting to see you justify some of your claims from your first post.
    Especially:
    1. The apparent claim that we only act if we think we will win, or succeed in our endeavors.
    2. The apparent claim that personal benefit is the only motivation for actions.
    If I am wrong that you are making these claims then maybe we can discuss it further and see what claims you are actually making.
  4. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    08 Feb '10 23:091 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    knightmeister,
    I am still waiting to see you justify some of your claims from your first post.
    Especially:
    1. The apparent claim that we only act if we think we will win, or succeed in our endeavors.
    2. The apparent claim that personal benefit is the only motivation for actions.
    If I am wrong that you are making these claims then maybe we can discuss it further and see what claims you are actually making.
    I think we only commit to being "good" if we believe that it's the right and moral thing to do.

But if we believe that then we are committing to some moral principle or value of goodness.

That's a kind of faith.

If someone really believes that might is right and evil is the way forward and that in the future the dictators and cruel men will rule the earth then they will not live righteously.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 04:48
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    I think we only commit to being "good" if we believe that it's the right and moral thing to do.
    Agreed.

But if we believe that then we are committing to some moral principle or value of goodness.
    Agreed.

That's a kind of faith.
    Agreed.

If someone really believes that might is right and evil is the way forward and that in the future the dictators and cruel men will rule the earth then they will not live righteously.
    Now you are loosing me. If someone believes might is right then they will live by might, but I don't see the connection to what may or may not happen in the future.

If you knew the world would end at some distant point in the future and that Satan would triumph over God, would you join Satan? I wouldn't.
  6. weedhopper
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 05:49
    Agreed.

[b]But if we believe that then we are committing to some moral principle or value of goodness.

Agreed.

That's a kind of faith.
    Agreed.

If someone really believes that might is right and evil is the way forward and that in the future the dictators and cruel men will rule the earth then they will not live righteously. ...[text shortened]... point in the future and that Satan would triumph over God, would you join Satan? I wouldn't.[/b]
    Doesn't this argument always leave out the mercy of Christ? God knows we puny humans cannot attain perfect righteousness (All have sinned and come short of the glory of God...), so there ya are. We are imperfect. We can TRY, and are expected to TRY and live according to His example. But one baclide doth not a hellbounder make 😀
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 05:57
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Doesn't this argument always leave out the mercy of Christ? God knows we puny humans cannot attain perfect righteousness (All have sinned and come short of the glory of God...), so there ya are. We are imperfect. We can TRY, and are expected to TRY and live according to His example. But one baclide doth not a hellbounder make 😀
    I don't think we are discussing how to get into heaven. We are discussing why someone would act righteously - or try to. What is the motivation?
    What is your motivation? Is it because you are expected to? (with the hope of getting to heaven)
    Knightmeister seems to be saying that one will not even be motivated to act righteously unless they are convinced (or have faith) that good will win in the end. ie he believes in being on the winning side. If he thought for a moment that Iran would take over the world, he would go and become Iranian rather than fight for the loosing side.
  8. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    10 Feb '10 22:12
    Agreed.

[b]But if we believe that then we are committing to some moral principle or value of goodness.

Agreed.

That's a kind of faith.
    Agreed.

If someone really believes that might is right and evil is the way forward and that in the future the dictators and cruel men will rule the earth then they will not live righteously. ...[text shortened]... point in the future and that Satan would triumph over God, would you join Satan? I wouldn't.[/b]
    If you knew the world would end at some distant point in the future and that Satan would triumph over God, would you join Satan? I wouldn't.
    ---------------------Whitey--------------------

And neither would I. But the question to then ask is - why?

My guess is that it would be because something within us would be repulsed by Satan and unconsciously feel that it was wrong to join him. Even knowing that Satan was going to win would not rob us of our conscience and our sense of right and wrong.

But then that would be quite interesting in it's own right , yes?
  9. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    10 Feb '10 22:14
    I don't think we are discussing how to get into heaven. We are discussing why someone would act righteously - or try to. What is the motivation?
    What is your motivation? Is it because you are expected to? (with the hope of getting to heaven)
    Knightmeister seems to be saying that one will not even be motivated to act righteously unless they are convinced ...[text shortened]... uld take over the world, he would go and become Iranian rather than fight for the loosing side.
    Knightmeister seems to be saying ......................

-----whitey-----------------------

"Seems" but isn't saying.....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree