1. DonationQuirine
    Tovenaar
    Dieren
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 19:172 edits
    No one goes to Hell! 😀😀

The following is an actual question given on a University
    of Washington chemistry mid-term. The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:
    First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.
    As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different Religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell.
    With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.
    This gives two possibilities:
    1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.
    2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?
    If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that "it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you", and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over.
    The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct...
    leaving only Heaven thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A"
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 19:40
    Originally posted by Quirine
    No one goes to Hell! 😀😀

of Washington chemistry mid-term. The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) o ...[text shortened]... , last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

applause!
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 22:52
    of Washington chemistry mid-term.
    Funny, but not likely to be an actual question given on a University exam.

http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/hell.asp
  4. Joined
    04 Mar '08
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 15:08
    I believe that it's just a joke. We really can't prove any of that; hell (or heaven for that matter) does not follow physical laws--it's another dimension. It was mentioned that those of another religion go to hell. I disagree: going to hell or heaven does not depend on religion. 🙄
  5. England
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 15:29
    it only works if boyles law is true after the grave, and since even in science a thoery is belived until it is disproven then they were marked too high
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 21:401 edit
    No one goes to Hell! 😀😀

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) o , last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

=====================

================================

What the student didn't realize was that the "A" stood for "Asinine".
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 21:43
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]=====================

================================

What the student didn't realize was that the "A" stood for "Assinine".[/b]
    asinine
  8. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 23:101 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    [b]asinine[/b]
    assassine... he just killed the whole dogma of Hell...
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 05:052 edits
    Originally posted by serigado
    assassine... he just killed the whole dogma of Hell...
    nevermind
  10. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 06:311 edit
    No one goes to Hell! 😀😀

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) o , last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

The logic makes as much sense as that behind intelligent design. It is spectacular humor. Deserved an A, got an A. (If only it existed...)
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 06:38
    Originally posted by UzumakiAi
    The logic makes as much sense as that behind intelligent design. It is spectacular humor. Deserved an A, got an A.
    I agree with you. The question was clearly intended as a joke and the answer is very humorous though logically unsound. Obviously he only deserved the A for that question, whether he got an A on the whole paper should be based entirely on the actual science questions, as good humor should not get you better marks in a science test.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree