1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 May '14 06:50
    "[Noah] is a highly important figure in Islamic history, as he is counted amongst the earliest prophets sent by God to mankind. According to Islam, Noah's mission was to save a wicked world, plunged in depravity and sin. God charged Noah with the duty of preaching to his people to make them abandon idolatry and to worship only the One Creator and to live good and pure lives. Although he preached the Message of God with immense zeal, his people refused to mend their ways, leading to his building of the Ark and the famous event of the Deluge, the Great Flood in which all the evil people of his time perished. Noah preached faith in God for 950 years according to the Qur'an." [From wiki]

"Differences from Judeo-Christian teachings:

...The Qur'an differs from the Bible in that it does not say that the entire world was submerged in water. According to these sources, only certain parts of the world were submerged under water, one of them being the region of Noah and his people. According to Islam, Noah's ark was a flat watercraft made of logs, tied together with primitive ropes, the flood was local, around the Dead Sea area, and the animals were Noah's domesticated animals. Unlike Judeo-Christian tradition, in Islam Noah had a fourth unnamed son who drowned in the flood. Islamic teachings also cite 76 believers being upon the ark contrary to the Judeo-Christian belief that only Noah and his immediate family were saved." [also from wiki]

Theologically speaking, are any of these differences between Noah in the Judeo-Christian tradition and Noah in the Islamic tradition of any great significance? Are there any differences that are being brushed over by the above summary?
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 May '14 08:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    "[Noah] is a highly important figure in Islamic history, as he is counted amongst the earliest prophets sent by God to mankind. According to Islam, Noah's mission was to save a wicked world, plunged in depravity and sin. God charged Noah with the duty of preaching to his people to make them abandon idolatry and to worship only the One Creator and to live good an ...[text shortened]... great significance? Are there any differences that are being brushed over by the above summary?
    great significance.

it doesn't portray god as a tantrum-prone child that destroys everything on a whim with an utter contempt for consequences. it is still a genocide, kind of like someone deciding to destroy nazi germany in its entirety after its defeat rather than try to mend it but still, much improved.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 May '14 09:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    "[Noah] is a highly important figure in Islamic history, as he is counted amongst the earliest prophets sent by God to mankind. According to Islam, Noah's mission was to save a wicked world, plunged in depravity and sin. God charged Noah with the duty of preaching to his people to make them abandon idolatry and to worship only the One Creator and to live good an ...[text shortened]... great significance? Are there any differences that are being brushed over by the above summary?
    Islam also rejects any infidelity on the part of prophets, thus prophets like Noah could never have been intoxicated with wine.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 May '14 09:57
    Just listened to a BBC podcast where they were saying that there is one somewhat different emphasis in the Muslim telling of the tale and it's about the naysayers sneering at Noah and how he placed two lions on the gangplank to keep the sneerers from boarding the ark en mass when they realized the rains were indeed coming. Is the "naysayers sneering" emphasis not there in the Judeo-Christian version?
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 May '14 10:03
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Islam also rejects any infidelity on the part of prophets, thus prophets like Noah could never have been intoxicated with wine.
    and what a wonderful story that was. a grown man wishes to see his father naked, and as if that wasn't hard to fathom in itself, god punishes ALL of that mans descendants, for all eternity, for one stupid thing he did.

it is a very important story, without which christianity would crumble.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 May '14 10:27
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    and what a wonderful story that was. a grown man wishes to see his father naked, and as if that wasn't hard to fathom in itself, god punishes ALL of that mans descendants, for all eternity, for one stupid thing he did.

it is a very important story, without which christianity would crumble.
    You seem to be having some little trouble dealing with it Zee. Have you considered the possibility that it could set a precedent? or that there may be some other reason not immediately discernible as to why its in scripture? FMF asked for differences between Islam and Christianity as regards the perception of prophets, the infidelity of Biblical characters in comparison to Islamic ones of the same personage is very interesting, after all how does Islam deal with Davids infidelity, or Jonahs by way of example? Can we not simply discuss the issue without becoming emotional?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 May '14 10:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    Just listened to a BBC podcast where they were saying that there is one somewhat different emphasis in the Muslim telling of the tale and it's about the naysayers sneering at Noah and how he placed two lions on the gangplank to keep the sneerers from boarding the ark en mass when they realized the rains were indeed coming. Is the "naysayers sneering" emphasis not there in the Judeo-Christian version?
    I can find no Biblical reference to these sneerer's, what the Bible states is,

After that God said to Noah: “I have decided to put an end to all flesh, because the earth is full of violence on account of them, so I am bringing them to ruin together with the earth.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 May '14 10:461 edit
    You seem to be having some little trouble dealing with it Zee. Have you considered the possibility that it could set a precedent? or that there may be some other reason not immediately discernible as to why its in scripture? FMF asked for differences between Islam and Christianity as regards the perception of prophets, the infidelity of Biblical ch ...[text shortened]... y, or Jonahs by way of example? Can we not simply discuss the issue without becoming emotional?
    trouble? no, not at all. i am dealing with it just fine: i dismiss it as the utter nonsensical garbage that it is.

"or that there may be some other reason not immediately discernible as to why its in scripture? "
    and rather than find that reason, you shrug and just move along. because it is important to the christian to know that at one time, his god was a murdering psychopath, but he got better in the new testament.

"Can we not simply discuss the issue without becoming emotional?"
    i did so. then you said something stupid. your issue with the apparent much improved islamic version of noah was that it wouldn't have allowed for ANOTHER idiotic christian story of noah.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 May '14 11:00
    I can find no Biblical reference to these sneerer's, what the Bible states is,
    It's an interesting emphasis,I suppose, assuming what they said in that podcast was correct. It was a little bit of the 'Oh ye of little faith' and a bit of 'you make your bed,you lie in it' added to [what Holywood now tells us] was the Greenpeace-endorses-Noah and vice versa story we apparently have in the Bible.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 May '14 11:04
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    trouble? no, not at all. i am dealing with it just fine: i dismiss it as the utter nonsensical garbage that it is.

"or that there may be some other reason not immediately discernible as to why its in scripture? "
    and rather than find that reason, you shrug and just move along. because it is important to the christian to know that at one time, his god ...[text shortened]... c version of noah was that it wouldn't have allowed for ANOTHER idiotic christian story of noah.
    wow you seem to have not a few issues.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 May '14 11:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's an interesting emphasis,I suppose, assuming what they said in that podcast was correct. It was a little bit of the 'Oh ye of little faith' and a bit of 'you make your bed,you lie in it' added to [what Holywood now tells us] was the Greenpeace-endorses-Noah and vice versa story we apparently have in the Bible.
    Islam has these embellishments, for example they hold that Solomon had the ability to understand animals including bird song.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 May '14 11:30
    Islam has these embellishments, for example they hold that Solomon had the ability to understand animals including bird song.
    Muslims and Jews and Christians all believe that Noah lived for hundreds and hundreds of years. That would be an "embellishment" too, I reckon.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 May '14 11:411 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Muslims and Jews and Christians all believe that Noah lived for hundreds and hundreds of years. That would be an "embellishment" too, I reckon.
    I don't think its quite the same as one embellishing upon the other as in these previous examples that have been given. another one is the position in Islam given to the prominence of Mary, Jesus mother. In the Christian Greek scriptures she is a mother like any other but the Koran embellishes upon this and gives her reverential prominence not afforded in the Bible.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 May '14 11:47
    I don't think its quite the same as one embellishing upon the other as in these previous examples that have been given. another one is the position in Islam given to the prominence of Mary, Jesus mother. In the Christian Greek scriptures she is a mother like any other but the Koran embellishes upon this and gives her reverential prominence not afforded in the Bible.
    Well no one is claiming that the two religious traditions are the same. You mentioned "embellishments". You agree that Noah supposedly living for hundreds and hundreds of years is a mere "embellishment"?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 May '14 11:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well no one is claiming that the two religious traditions are the same. You mentioned "embellishments". You agree that Noah supposedly living for hundreds and hundreds of years is a mere "embellishment"?
    no not really, an embellishment upon what?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree