1. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 09:41
    (Mark 10:17-18) . . .And as he was going out on his way, a certain man ran up and fell
    upon his knees before him and put the question to him: “Good Teacher, what must I do
    to inherit everlasting life?”  Jesus said to him: “Why do you call me good? Nobody is
    good, except one, God.

How are we to understand Christs statement, 'Nobody is good, except one, God'.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 10:09
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    (Mark 10:17-18) . . .And as he was going out on his way, a certain man ran up and fell
    upon his knees before him and put the question to him: “Good Teacher, what must I do
    to inherit everlasting life?”  Jesus said to him: “Why do you call me good? Nobody is
    good, except one, God.

Unless this is another JW baiting question, maybe you can give us an indication of what your thoughts are on the question you posed.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 10:561 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Unless this is another JW baiting question, maybe you can give us an indication of what your thoughts are on the question you posed.
    sigh, such cynicism, its a Biblical verse as far as i can discern, either you know
    something about it or you dont, either you have a comment to make or you dont. It is
    posted because of the prevailing opinion that all religions teach that one must be 'good'.
    Christ here is stating that there is only one personage that is good, God. Clearly either
    the term good in this instance means something other than the polar conception of
    'good', not yet defined and I am not quite sure what is meant by it myself, or Christ is
    teaching us something about the quality.
  4. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 11:003 edits
    good, except one, God.

How are we to understand [one of the many Bible authors'] statement, 'Nobody is good, except one, God'.

Corrected for you.

and now an explanation - the writers didn't collaberate well enough, wrote a load of crap. Hope this helps :]
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 11:093 edits
    Originally posted by Agerg
    How are we to understand [one of the many Bible authors'] statement, 'Nobody is good, except one, God'.

Corrected for you.

and now an explanation - the writers didn't collaberate well enough, wrote a load of crap. Hope this helps :]
    This fails on so many levels and will lead either to argumentum ad infinitum or
    obfuscation surrounding the quoted text. Please note, whether Christ actually uttered the
    statement is not the point of the post for the statement exists, in the Bible, irrespective
    of who said it, whether the Biblical authors collaborated is not the point of the post,
    whether the Bible is in your articulate use of our language, 'crap', is also not the point.

On a side note, I am surprised that a mathematician should be so deviod of logic so as
    to commit these errors of fallacy, I blame computers, when i did Maths, we really had
    to think for ourselves. 😛
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 11:293 edits
    This fails on so many levels and will lead either to argumentum ad infinitum or
    obfuscation surrounding the quoted text. Please note, whether Christ actually uttered the
    statement is not the point of the post for the statement exists, in the Bible, irrespective
    of who said it, whether the Biblical authors collaborated is not the point of the p rs of fallacy, I blame computers, when i did Maths, we really had
    to think for ourselves. 😛
    I committed no fallacy. You asked how one should understand statement X made by person Y - I corrected it to read: how we should understand statement X made by persons ZReveal Hidden Content
    where none of such people Z comprises are zombie, water walking, food transmuting, son of \"God\", leprosy curing, fairy tale characters
    . With this correction it is clear to see there is nothing to understand since the Bible is a load of chite. :]
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 11:541 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I committed no fallacy. You asked how one should understand statement X made by person Y - I corrected it to read: how we should understand statement X made by persons Z[hidden]where none of such people Z comprises are zombie, water walking, food transmuting, son of \"God\", leprosy curing, fairy tale characters[/hidden]. With this correction it is clear to see there is nothing to understand since the Bible is a load of chite. :]
    None of your jive dear Agers, you committed various travesties of logic, and already
    the path of the thread is being driven away from its true course. Do you have anything
    to say about the actual content of the post, that is, the meaning of the words, as they
    appear, in the Biblical account, irrespective of who authored or uttered them or
    collaborated to produce them. In other words, what did the author mean!
  8. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 12:10
    None of your jive dear Agers, you committed various travesties of logic, and already
    the path of the thread is being driven away from its true course. Do you have anything
    to say about the actual content of the post, that is, the meaning of the words, as they
    appear, in the Biblical account, irrespective of who authored or uttered them or
    collaborated to produce them. In other words, what did the author mean!
    The words mean that this particular author thought his imaginary friend "God" is just so supa-dupa, bullet proofa, sun shines out of it's arsa awesome that he forgot for a moment Jesus is meant to be "God" anyway (some trinity nonsense) and subtracted all the awesomeness other authors had attached to "Jesus" and pinned it all on his notion of "God".
  9. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 12:13
    good, except one, God.

Well, I have read some interesting attempts to explain why this is not suggesting that Jesus is accepting he is less good than God.

Some have argued that the stress patterns should be read as:

Why do you call me good?

Why do you call me good?

In either case, it is argued, the focus is on the man's personal reasoning for why he thinks it is appropriate to use the term 'good' in respect of Jesus, and Jesus then explains why that reasoning is deficient (as opposed to the use of the term being incorrect).

However, I am not sure that is the more natural reading to one which seems to be that Jesus is acknowledging that, compared to the perfection of God, no-one, not even Jesus, is 'good' by that absolute standard.
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 12:23
    good, except one, God.

If you say that Christ is good, then you must be willing to say that He is God. For no one is good except one - God.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 12:29
    Originally posted by jaywill
    If you say that Christ is good, then you must be willing to say that He is God. For no one is good except one - God.
    I read in wiki that "No one is good—except God alone" is a statement that both trinitarians and non-trinitarians have used in the past to support their respective cases.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 12:531 edit
    In other words, what did the author mean!
    It sounds to me like "good" here is being framed as an ideal and that one can always strive to be 'better'. If one reads beyond 17-18, Christ is depicted as suggesting how the rich young man can be 'better' than he is when He says to him “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 13:14
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Well, I have read some interesting attempts to explain why this is not suggesting that Jesus is accepting he is less good than God.

Some have argued that the stress patterns should be read as:

[b]Why
    do you call me good?

Why do you call me good?

In either case, it is argued, the focus is on the man's personal reasoning for why he ...[text shortened]... ared to the perfection of God, no-one, not even Jesus, is 'good' by that absolute standard.[/b]
    Interesting points.
  14. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 13:211 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Pork scratchings are good...

(eh? Robbie, eh? 😉)
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 13:25
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Pork scratchings are good...
    As long as you don't get them anywhere near my good microphone! 😠

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree