1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 May '18 09:16
    Originally posted by @fmf
    If you're not sure, you could start by looking at The Institute of Noetic Sciences.
    Oh, no, I did not mean to give you the incorrect impression that I was not sure. I meant to simply give you the industry standard definition of 'noesis', separate from and regardless of what this organization claims.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 May '18 09:42
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Oh, no, I did not mean to give you the incorrect impression that I was not sure. I meant to simply give you the industry standard definition of 'noesis', separate from and regardless of what this organization claims.
    You said you were not sure about something. Are you not sure whether The Institute of Noetic Sciences have named themselves correctly, is that it?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 May '18 09:47
    No, I must disagree. While philosophy and religion may exist as "conjecture about consciousness", it's fairly clear that science holds the only paths toward "comprehensive explanations" about consciousness.
    It might get us nearer to understanding the mechanics of it, sure, but if the ultimate "comprehensive" explanation is a supernatural one, science is not going to provide it.
  4. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    22 May '18 15:45
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    "We can't even make decent walking robots yet."

They can in Japan.
    No. They can't.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 May '18 10:262 edits
    It might get us nearer to understanding the mechanics of it, sure, but if the ultimate "comprehensive" explanation is a supernatural one, science is not going to provide it.
    "if the ultimate "comprehensive" explanation [of consciousness] is a supernatural one"

Now I'm not sure if you actually believe this rather insubstantial waffle, or if you're just "taking the piss".
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 May '18 10:30
    [b]"if the ultimate "comprehensive" explanation [of consciousness] is a supernatural one"

Now I'm not sure if you actually believe this rather insubstantial waffle, or if you're just "taking the piss".[/b]
    I think Kiddo just likes to hear himself talk.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 May '18 10:41
    FMF: It might get us nearer to understanding the mechanics of it, sure, but if the ultimate "comprehensive" explanation is a supernatural one, science is not going to provide it.

Now I'm not sure if you actually believe this rather insubstantial waffle, or if you're just "taking the piss".
    "Insubstantial waffle"?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 May '18 10:51
    "Insubstantial waffle"?
    You heard the lady.
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    25 May '18 15:26
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    No. They can't.
    Here's one that runs.

YouTube
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 May '18 18:46
    And one that takes a penalty!

YouTube
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 May '18 21:20
    "Insubstantial waffle"?
    The more you go on here about something "supernatural" being the "ultimate explanation" of ANYthing, especially given how many times you sit up here in this forum (on your leatherette?) condemning ANYthing with a "supernatural" explanation, the more you can't be taken seriously.

So, yeah, you're just "taking the piss", as I thought.
  12. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    26 May '18 21:311 edit
    originally posted by @Ghost-of-a-Duke
    Here's one that runs.

Meh, that's a little better than the last one I've seen. Ok. We're getting there. Thumbs up for you sir.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 May '18 23:02
    The more you go on here about something "supernatural" being the "ultimate explanation" of ANYthing, especially given how many times you sit up here in this forum (on your leatherette?) condemning ANYthing with a "supernatural" explanation, the more you can't be taken seriously.

So, yeah, you're just "taking the piss", as I thought.
    "Supernatural" here refers to a creator being, like your Christian God. It's as if you don't actually understand what was said but are determined to be publicly upset about it regardless.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 May '18 00:37
    "Supernatural" here refers to a creator being, like your Christian God. It's as if you don't actually understand what was said but are determined to be publicly upset about it regardless.
    Thank goodness you’re back, Kiddo. We were all worried sick. No more of these long absences again without informing tiger, amigo, Heartpence or me ahead of time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree