1. SEMO
    Moves
    10 Aug '08 21:07
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Back a few generations ... how did your family get to the US?
    I do not know. My family has not keept up with their history so I can not say.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Aug '08 21:07
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    I don’t know what McCain policies would be (although I would guess that I probably wouldn’t vote for him if I was a US citizen because of my suspicion he would be just another Bush) nor do I have an opinion on whether or not citizenship for illegal immigrants should be allowed under certain [extreme?] circumstances but what I do know is that at least ...[text shortened]... houldn’t judge a “criminal” to necessarily be a “bad” person although many are, no doubt, “bad”.
    Here we go.

An atheist (AH) with a good heart, wants to see that the immigrants get some help.
    And a Christian (PB) who claims to be saved, lacking in compassion, wants to govt to expel them.

Its the modern day Good Samaritan story.
    PB, you should be ashamed.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Aug '08 21:09
    Originally posted by pritybetta
    I do not know. My family has not keept up with their history so I can not say.
    Well I will tell you.
    The chances are very high that your great great great grandparents arrived in the US illegally. Its just that the there was very little administrative infrastracture in place to send you back where you came from.
  4. SEMO
    Moves
    10 Aug '08 21:31
    Well I will tell you.
    The chances are very high that your great great great grandparents arrived in the US illegally. Its just that the there was very little administrative infrastracture in place to send you back where you came from.
    I would not speculate on what happened in my family if I were you. You don't even know my race.😉
  5. SEMO
    Moves
    10 Aug '08 21:36
    Here we go.

An atheist (AH) with a good heart, wants to see that the immigrants get some help.
    And a Christian (PB) who claims to be saved, lacking in compassion, wants to govt to expel them.

I never said they are not in need. I only said they are criminals for not going the legal way. There are lots of churches that help immigrants to come here legally. I would if I had the means to, and if I believed they were in need.
  6. Joined
    14 Apr '07
    Moves
    10 Aug '08 22:11
    Well I will tell you.
    but why should illegal immigrants of today reap the benefits of the risks of my great, great, great grandparents? and dont be all like 'they had free slave labor'. my ancestors came here and made this country into something and illegals are just coming over when it pays off. i can see her argument, but mccain just wants illegals to be able to come over here because he's a big-business man and wants to keep the cheap labor flowing in. path to citizenship? he just wants them to keep hoppin the border
  7. weedhopper
    Moves
    10 Aug '08 22:14
    Originally posted by david haworth
    but why should illegal immigrants of today reap the benefits of the risks of my great, great, great grandparents? and dont be all like 'they had free slave labor'. my ancestors came here and made this country into something and illegals are just coming over when it pays off. i can see her argument, but mccain just wants illegals to be able to come over ...[text shortened]... the cheap labor flowing in. path to citizenship? he just wants them to keep hoppin the border
    amen, brother
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    10 Aug '08 22:38
    I am not voting for McCain neither. 😉

I believe he will be another Bush.
    OK, that's fine. Vote for whomever you please. This thread has kind of drifted off topic. The point I was making about the "beauty contest" was that if it were Obama who had done that, Dobson and a host of others (like the website you posted) would have a field day with it.

Do you detect anything in the tone of the narrator of the link you provided?
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '08 23:07
    Here we go.

From what I've seen, Paulians are primarily interested in "professing belief" and being "saved". They believe following the teachings of Jesus are optional.
  10. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '08 23:21
    Please take just a couple of minutes to see and hear Obama making fun of the Bible! Scroll down on the website and play Obama making fun of the Bible. These remarks are straight out of Obama's mouth, not just quotes.

http://www.phforamerica.com/

If you want to read Obama's speech in its entirety to see the context of the speech, you can read it all on Obama's own web page at http://obama.senate.gov/speech/060628-call_to_renewal/
    I have no problem with anything Obama said. Nothing.

He may be misinterpreting scripture, but frankly, I don't care all that much.

This speech is actually pretty old I think and I guess this site either has been there for a while or they have taken a while to catch on.

Oh well, this only makes me more likely to vote for Obama, not less.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 19:381 edit
    Please take just a couple of minutes to see and hear Obama making fun of the Bible! Scroll down on the website and play Obama making fun of the Bible. These remarks are straight out of Obama's mouth, not just quotes.

If you want to read Obama's speech in its entirety to see the context of the speech, you can read it all on Obama's own web page at http://obama.senate.gov/speech/060628-call_to_renewal/
    He did NOT mock or ridicule Leviticus, the Sermon, or Deuteronomy. His point is excellent! To live by Biblical rules we'd be like Saudi Arabia, harsh, inflexible and uncompromising, and we don't live like that - even Christians. And of course, the commentator comes back with "but he took it out of context". This is a favorite of Bible thumpers, but they never want to discuss what that means. What does he mean that these references are taken "out of context?"

Then the narrator goes on to say "Christians and historians agree that the Sermon on the Mount is the most spiritually inspiring bla bla bla" as if this were some sort of scientific consensus that Historians came to based on their education and research. Please..."most inspiring" is subjective. Why invoke historians?

Then the narrator tells Obama from his sekrit decoder knowledge that Christ would not want us to turn the other cheek to terrorists. Umm, ok, how the hell do you know that?

This was WEAK.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 21:18

Thanks for posting this. It's refreshing to see a politician take a sensible position on an issue and articulate it well, instead of the usual soundbites we get under the TV format.

I didn't get the impression that he was making fun of the Bible. He was just pointing out that not all biblical laws should be made into governmental laws, not just because some biblical laws are archaic, but also because we're a country that promises religious freedom to people of all faiths and creeds, not just Christianity.
  13. SEMO
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 22:18
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Thanks for posting this. It's refreshing to see a politician take a sensible position on an issue and articulate it well, instead of the usual soundbites we get under the TV format.

I didn't get the impression that he was making fun of the Bible. He was just pointing out that not all biblical laws should be made into governmental laws, not just becaus ...[text shortened]... ry that promises religious freedom to people of all faiths and creeds, not just Christianity.
    Well, the part I didn't like was when he said people have not been reading their Bible when we can clearly see he does not read it(study it) himself.
  14. Illinois
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 23:05

Obama isn't making fun of the Bible here, pritybetta, he's making fun of the prospect of governing a nation according to biblical principles. That is, he's making fun of the idea of a "Christian nation" in general. Some Christian fundamentalists actually believe this false notion that the U.S. is supposed to be a Christian nation, and Obama is proving the fallacy of that notion by pointing out the practical absurdity of truly governing according to biblical principles. For instance, how would the Justice Department legislate against a man looking at a woman in order to lust after her? Christ, in the Sermon on the Mount (Matt. 5:27-30), declares that a man breaks God's law by merely lusting after a woman who is not his wife. Governmentally speaking, is this standard enforcible? No, of course it isn't.

The fact is, America is not a Christian nation. It is a secular nation which respects all faiths and non-faiths alike. America is a democracy. In light of this fact, Obama is pointing out that certain Christians need to learn how to voice their concerns in a way that does not alienate others; that is, they must find a common ground with their non-believing neighbors in order to be effective for God's kingdom in the political arena.

Obama: "Democracy demands that the religiously motivated translate their concerns into universal, rather than religion-specific, values. It requires that their proposals be subject to argument, and amenable to reason. I may be opposed to abortion for religious reasons, but if I seek to pass a law banning the practice, I cannot simply point to the teachings of my church or evoke God's will. I have to explain why abortion violates some principle that is accessible to people of all faiths, including those with no faith at all."

You may not agree with Obama here, but he is certainly not making fun of the Bible.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 02:44
    Well, the part I didn't like was when he said people have not been reading their Bible when we can clearly see he does not read it(study it) himself.
    Oh? And just how can we see that?

Seemed to me he was essentially correct about the few bits of the bible he summarized. The speech wasn't meant to be an exhaustive bible study.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree