1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Aug '06 00:12
    Contrary to popular belief, I am not referring to myself. What I am referring to, however, is that all men have an innate desire to worship and submit to something. It may be a person, it may be a substance, it may be money, it may be sex, it may be a career, it may be a field of study, it may be God, it may even be yourself, etc. Also one tends to immulate what they worship. If you worship money you tend to become greedy. If you worship sex you tend to become lustful, etc. Comments?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Aug '06 00:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    Contrary to popular belief, I am not referring to myself. What I am referring to, however, is that all men have an innate desire to worship and submit to something. It may be a person, it may be a substance, it may be money, it may be sex, it may be a career, it may be a field of study, it may be God, it may even be yourself, etc. Also one tends to immulat ...[text shortened]... oney you tend to become greedy. If you worship sex you tend to become lustful, etc. Comments?
    You might be right, but what's your point?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Aug '06 00:20
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    You might be right, but what's your point?
    It is merely food for thought. So what do you worship?
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    21 Aug '06 00:22
    Contrary to popular belief, I am not referring to myself. What I am referring to, however, is that all men have an innate desire to worship and submit to something. It may be a person, it may be a substance, it may be money, it may be sex, it may be a career, it may be a field of study, it may be God, it may even be yourself, etc. Also one tends to immulat ...[text shortened]... oney you tend to become greedy. If you worship sex you tend to become lustful, etc. Comments?
    I tend to see men (in particular) as wanting to dominate things as opposed to submitting to them.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Aug '06 00:28
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I tend to see men (in particular) as wanting to dominate things as opposed to submitting to them.
    Would this not fall under the category of worshiping self?
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Aug '06 01:56
    What does it mean to "worship and submit"? I am especially interested in how one can submit to something that cannot demand anything because it is inanimate, or how one can submit to oneself.
  7. Cosmos
    Moves
    21 Aug '06 04:45
    Only weak, lacking people like you.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Aug '06 04:56
    It is merely food for thought. So what do you worship?
    Would God be a too kinky idea?
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Aug '06 17:18
    Many men may or may not have a desire to worship something, ALL men don't.
  10. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    21 Aug '06 17:27
    You should take care not to commit the fallacy of equivocation here with respect to the term "worship".

Worshipping God is a literal act. You say things, in your head, or aloud, like "How great thou art!"

However, when it comes to money, even if you are materialist, you don't do things like that, unless you are weird. The point here is that "worship" is meant metaphorically, not literally. It implies obsession and greed, rather than humble submission before something. So the use of the word "worship" may not imply any deep literal connection.
  11. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    21 Aug '06 17:28
    I should also point out that I am open to being idolized, if anyone is feeling at a loose end.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 05:17
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    You should take care not to commit the fallacy of equivocation here with respect to the term "worship".

Worshipping God is a literal act. You say things, in your head, or aloud, like "How great thou art!"

However, when it comes to money, even if you are materialist, you don't do things like that, unless you are weird. The point here is that "worsh ...[text shortened]... something. So the use of the word "worship" may not imply any deep literal connection.
    Theists are master equivocators. They do it all the time with a host of other words too, 'faith' being the most prominent example. Everyone has faith in something (so the argument goes), whether it will be that the sun will rise tomorrow, or whatever, it doesn't really matter. Therefore even the atheist has Faith. The equivocation, of course, being the bait and switch in regard to the different usage of the word 'faith.' They talk about a very generalized definition of the word, what I'll call 'lower case faith', and then try to substitute a highly specific, chrisitian oriented definition of the word, which would be the 'upper case Faith.'
  13. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 05:19
    What rubbish.
    And by the way it's 'emulate' ....
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 05:23
    You should be kicked in the head with an iron boot for daring to profane these forums with such insipid gibberish.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 14:22
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What does it mean to "worship and submit"? I am especially interested in how one can submit to something that cannot demand anything because it is inanimate, or how one can submit to oneself.
    When I say worship, I mean in the sense that it is the primary focus of our lives. What is it that makes life worth living? Why do you get up in the morning? What makes you tick?

As far as submiition goes, do we not all submit to something? Submition can be a result of recognizing a higher authority of some kind, feeling controlled by something, or it can be a choice based upon relational interactions with those we care about and/or a combination thereof.

I suppose you see God as inanimate, but this is due to the fact that you do not percieve him knowable via the five senses, no? However, if you believe God has given us a message via the Bible, this inaimate notion no longer applies. At least in the mind of a believer.

As far as submitting to oneself, it has more to due with submitting to the desires of the flesh via the carnal world. From a Chrisitian perspective, your flesh has been corrupted via the fall of man. Our flesh is in fact, already dying. There is no saving your physical body. Despite this fact, your flesh has a "will" of its own. It seeks food, sex, plaesure etc. Although there is nothing wrong with food, sex, pleasure in and of itself, it should not be our primary focus. We should, in fact, rule our flesh and not vise versa. Not everyone agrees, however. Some live soley to please thier flesh. This is problamatic, however, due to the fact that your flesh is dying. If you live your life to please your flesh, you are investing your time and effort into something that will perish verses investing your time and evergy into your spiritual being which has the potential to be eternal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree