1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 15:26
    Originally posted by Agerg
    If 'spiritual' relates to 'otherworldly spirits' (specifically one which supposedly resides in me), then for me, the term has no meaning. If it relates to some state of conciousness which is in some way a function of ones exposure to the material universe then why not call it by a different name?
    Go on then you crazy 2ist (😛) give us a name for it.
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 16:112 edits
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Go on then you crazy 2ist (😛) give us a name for it.
    Agh! I don't know!..not really a practitioner of meditation etc... I'd be happy with, say, "state of conciousness or thought, independent of exterior local inputs"

Snappy isn't it! 😕

All I know is that I profoundly dislike the word 'spiritual' because of the connotations attached to it.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 16:14
    If 'spiritual' relates to 'otherworldly spirits' (specifically one which supposedly resides in me), then for me, the term has no meaning. If it relates to some state of conciousness which is in some way a function of ones exposure to the material universe then why not call it by a different name?
    Ok, So the emphasis here is on origonality, and I'm not judging...however you have raised some interesting points .. as has FMF. Namely that of "otherworldly spirits". Now where exactly is the border between our world and other worlds?
    And FMF has rightly pointed out that we dont need worry about an afterlife.
    The word "afterlife" is like the word "androgony". It is transitory.

The word "spiritual" for me means freedom. The freedom to say what the hell I like. To breathe.
    The language is changing. Always has been.
    Maybe one day we will wake up and find what it is to be "human"is quite a different proposition to say what it was in like in...1985
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 16:191 edit
    Agh! I don't know!..not really a practitioner of meditation etc... I'd be happy with, say, "state of conciousness or thought, independent of exterior local inputs"

Snappy isn't it! 😕

All I know is that I profoundly dislike the word 'spiritual' because of the connotations attached to it.
    Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but I see what you're getting at. Perhaps we are referring to hints of a meta-reality or -consciousness?

And I urge you to give meditation a test-drive.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree