2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 08:44
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    This is a thread about spirituality.
    That is-YOU. You are it. You have the power

Please contribute something origonal to this thread. Even if it is one word.
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 12:13
    All you atheists out there... Isn't your position simply a statement of faith too? Come join us on the fence of agnosticism.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 12:432 edits
    Let's say, for the sake of discussion:

(a) I am completely unfazed by the prospect of death;

(b) I am not interested in speculating about the afterlife;

(c) I cannot entertain the idea that a "creator" would be so mundane as to require that his creations "worship" him or contemplate him at all;

(d) I have a life that is full, rich, varied and both emotionally and intellectually rewarding and secure; and

(e) I generally don't mistreat others, cause them harm or damage, and I raise my children to behave in a similar just and sensible way.

What actual purpose would spirituality serve in my life?
  5. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 13:031 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    ;

(b) I am not interested in speculating about the afterlife;

(c) I cannot entertain the idea that a "creator" would be so mundane as to require that his creations "worship" him or contemplate him at all;

(d) I have a life that is full, rich, varied and both emotionally and intellectually rewarding and secure; and

(e) I generally don't mistreat others, ...[text shortened]... similar just and sensible way.

What actual purpose would spirituality serve in my life?[/b]
    Well, it might enhance it, mightn't it?

And... you say you don't generally mistreat others - does that mean you do, sometimes?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 13:26
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Well, it might enhance it, mightn't it?
    In what way?
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 13:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    In what way?
    Do you think that your life is perfect in every way? Are you perfectly content and happy? No room for improvement at all?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 13:30
    And... you say you don't generally mistreat others - does that mean you do, sometimes?
    I simply meant that my behaviour might be seen as being broadly similar to that of a "religious/spiritual" person and having pretty much the same "moral" consistency and logic as people who root it in, or define it in terms of, their faith.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 13:33
    Do you think that your life is perfect in every way? Are you perfectly content and happy? No room for improvement at all?
    There's no such thing as perfection, of course. But I do have a life that is full of meaning and both emotionally and intellectually rewarding and secure. Improvement is on the agenda every single day but is sought in a spirit of happiness and contentedness.
  10. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 14:10
    Nothing original about this, but I'm starting to see everything as one thing. Only on an intellectual level do I experience this. On an everyday level I'm just the average blinded fool. God must be the stuff of the universe. Nothing else makes any sense.
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 14:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    There's no such thing as perfection, of course. But I do have a life that is full of meaning and both emotionally and intellectually rewarding and secure. Improvement is on the agenda every single day but is sought in a spirit of happiness and contentedness.
    Well there you go then, it might be improved with a bit of spirituality, who knows? You might find that there was a yawning chasm of need that you were not even aware of and end up realising that you'd been deluding yourself, that your previous ideas of happiness and contentment were all a shallow gloss on an empty desert of materialism. Or not. If you don't seek, how will you know?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 14:29
    Well there you go then, it might be improved with a bit of spirituality, who knows? You might find that there was a yawning chasm of need that you were not even aware of and end up realising that you'd been deluding yourself, that your previous ideas of happiness and contentment were all a shallow gloss on an empty desert of materialism. Or not. If you don't seek, how will you know?
    Well my question was specifically about the purpose of spirituality in a life which does NOT have "a yawning chasm of need" or delusions. Sorry if I wasn't clear. There is nothing shallow about my life as far as I am concerned. And I certainly don't inhabit "an empty desert of materialism". I can't believe that the purpose of spirituality is to transform the meaning, happiness and contentment of life into something that feels or seems 'not enough' or a delusion. Surely not?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 14:33
    It seems that you are saying that spirituality is for unhappy people or people who are unable to find meaning in life or who feel an emptiness. Is that right? That is spirituality's purpose?
  14. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 14:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    It seems that you are saying that spirituality is for unhappy people or people who are unable to find meaning in life or who feel an emptiness. Is that right? That is spirituality's purpose?
    I think what I'm saying is that there may be a spiritual aspect to life, and that if there is, then despite feeling no need of it, one may still be lacking something without it. Furthermore, the search (for spiritual enlightenment) may in itself be a rewarding process in some way. And who knows, perhaps the entire universe is a spiritual construct of which we're all a small part, and perhaps the godawful state of the globe today reflects what we put into this spiritual matrix via our free-market capitalist materialism and xenophobic schismatic religions. (WTH is that, buddhism?)
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 15:103 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    This is a thread about spirituality.
    That is-YOU. You are it. You have the power

Please contribute something origonal to this thread. Even if it is one word.
    If 'spiritual' relates to 'otherworldly spirits' (specifically one which supposedly resides in me), then for me, the term has no meaning. If it relates to some state of conciousness which is in some way a function of ones exposure to the material universe then why not call it by a different name?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree