1. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 01:54
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Why is the term "Theory" still used in all books, magzines, web site, etc. If it's a fact then discard that term. Don't ya think?
    There are many things I would like to change about the English language and its use and many words with double or more meanings depending on context. The word "theory" is misleading initially but with explanation as to how it is used in science, using it then in the correct manner is about all you can do. Its impossible to ban words and usage really.

A theory is not equivalent to a fact. A theory is a set of propositions that seek to fit all known facts together. The problem comes when those facts are dismissed. If you have a viable intelligent theory that fits the facts better together than what is on offer, most scientists would look closely at it, but if you deny clear facts the resultant theory is poor and entitled to be dismissed.

Theories are revised and improved as more facts come to light.

It does not simply mean a guess. Guess usually implies out of the blue, random, have a go at an answer and "your guess is as good as mine". There is a whole body of clear facts over various scientific disciplines that support the Evolutionary Theory, a theory that has been modified in the light of further factual discovery but the main tenets of the theory have never had other facts come to light to raise doubt about its central correctness. You may of course contest certain conclusions validly here and there, with evidence, but finding one or two errors does not invalidate the whole body of other facts and the main body of the theory.

I have my own slant on it and that is I believe that an original Awareness or Consciousness inherent in existence (difficult to prove scientifically) played an important part in evolution, but that's another discussion.

Darwin is deserving of the fullest honoring.
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 05:50
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    The Theories are worse than the Furies.
    So now you are learning straight from the nagas?
    😵
  3. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 05:52
    Originally posted by Taoman
    There are many things I would like to change about the English language and its use and many words with double or more meanings depending on context. The word "theory" is misleading initially but with explanation as to how it is used in science, using it then in the correct manner is about all you can do. Its impossible to ban words and usage really.

A th ...[text shortened]... evolution, but that's another discussion.

Darwin is deserving of the fullest honoring.
    Edit: "I have my own slant on it and that is I believe that an original Awareness or Consciousness inherent in existence"

Beyond clear light, what?
    😵
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 06:55
    Originally posted by divegeester
    So what is natural selection then...?

Evolution (with a small e) is absolute definite concrete fact. The 'origins of life' is a different claim.
    Actually evolution (with a small e) is almost true by definition. Every generation in sexually reproducing organisms has a different set of DNA from the previous one and hence has evolved by definition.
    Again, understanding a word and its meanings in various contexts is essential.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 08:36
    Originally posted by black beetle
    So now you are learning straight from the nagas?
    😵
    Nagas, dragons, monkeys ...
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 09:14
    Nagas, dragons, monkeys ...
    Me wanna dance;

How do you evaluate now the jewel of the Indian?
    😵
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 09:44
    Me wanna dance;

😵
    beetle you are versed in all sorts of intricacies of philosophy, how long does it take for a theory to die?
  8. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 09:50
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    beetle you are versed in all sorts of intricacies of philosophy, how long does it take for a theory to die?
    It takes the time we need in order to bring up updated units of knowledge that will debunk the theory in full
    😵
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 09:57
    It takes the time we need in order to bring up updated units of knowledge that will debunk the theory in full
    😵
    ok, i understand 🙂
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 10:24
    Me wanna dance;

😵
    indeed what is the vale of a jewel in the desert when what you need is a drop of water, or the value of a drop of water when you live in the west of Scotland!
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 10:34
    Me wanna dance;

😵
    It's paste.
  12. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 10:42
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    indeed what is the vale of a jewel in the desert when what you need is a drop of water, or the value of a drop of water when you live in the west of Scotland!
    The value of that Jewel is bigger than the value of a drop of the water when you are in the desert, because that Jewel could either keep you away from the desert or drive you from oasis to oasis straight to your desired destination once you decide to cross the desert😵
  13. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 10:52
    It's paste.
    It appears pasted to whoever is unable to discard concepts of solid objects😵
  14. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 13:351 edit
    Edit: "I have my own slant on it and that is I believe that an original Awareness or Consciousness inherent in existence"

Beyond clear light, what?
    😵
    The Same.
  15. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 13:37
    Originally posted by Taoman
    The same.
    Namaste😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree