1. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 14:17
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Some christians believe that a scientific theory is less credible because it has the word 'theory' connected with it. The often say that "Well it's only a theory, nothing more." or "It's nothing more than a mere guessing."

They usually say this when we're discussing the 'the Evolution theory', but sometimes also 'the BigBang theory'. Strange enough, ne ...[text shortened]... e seriously, then it shows your own opinions as weak.
    I admire those that patiently seek to inform the avoiding fundamentalist creationists. Using correct terminology is central and your post is appreciated. If we are not using the same agreed definitions from the start, the rest is chaos and confusion, as you have encountered.

As I understand it, a theory is sometimes one of a number of coherent attempts to explain the facts, but usually with time one becomes predominant because it fits the facts together in the most logical, clear and simplest way. Later facts to come to light clarify and confirm the theory as a whole, but the FACTS are always at base. Dear Darwin would be most delighted, God bless him. 🙂

I don't usually read many posts about the creation-evolution discussion because of the frustrating abuse of definition and claims of "scientific fact" that are unsubstantiated, except for referrals to so-called discredited "science" of creationists sites. But I read the entirety of this post, just to see how things have changed. Not much.

Using spurious "scientific" labelling is easy. I don't call it active lying but avoidance of facing the destruction of a primitive idea. Yes painful, but you will survive, fundo friends..

There are MUCH PROVEN FACTS to support evolutionary theory. (I am not going to fruitlessly digress into the usual -"prove it!" response, they are well known and available.) But they won't go far into "the "devil's" territory, will they, our dear fundos.

A pre-scientific poetic statement in Genesis is not science as we define it today. There are numerous facts that show that the world of this planet did not suddenly emerge, as is, over a brief period. In the light of modern knowledge this is patently ridiculous. The underlying cosmology of genesis times included flat earths on pillars and stars fixed on a dome. This is all selectively avoided by the creationists.

The reason fundamentalists react in such a blind and avoiding way is because they interpret accepting evolutionary processes as displacing their rigid concept of God and see it denying their assertion that the Christian (and Jewish) revered scripture is the inviolable direct "Word of God" and the only one, and interpret it exceedingly literally. This is also the base of much of their intolerance of others. It also totally ignores the finding of biblical literary historical research of how these writings actually came together.

Fruitful discussion often becomes useless with die-hard fundamentalists, but I think it is important for the floor not to be taken over by these blind ones, as it has been leaking too much into schools etc. In this ever fascinating field of Samsara, we do need to patiently react strongly to avoid returning to the dark ages. I was most pleased to see the victories in US courts against these spurious "science" claims.
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 14:29
    Originally posted by Taoman
    I admire those that patiently seek to inform the avoiding fundamentalist creationists. Using correct terminology is central and your post is appreciated. If we are not using the same agreed definitions from the start, the rest is chaos and confusion, as you have encountered.

As I understand it, a theory is sometimes one of a number of coherent attempts to ...[text shortened]... d to see the victories in US courts against these spurious "science" claims.
    I was most pleased to see the victories in US courts against these spurious "science" claims.

What's interesting is that in the Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District trail, the leading experts from both sides were Christians and both Roman Catholics. Prof Behe on one side and Kenneth R Miller on the other. Kind of stumps the much asserted claim by creationists that an acceptance of evolutionary theory automatically defaults someone to an atheist.

Kenneth R Miller has written what looks like an interesting book on the subject of evolution and God.

Finding Darwin's God: A Scientist's Search for Common Ground Between God and Evolution.

That's going on my Christmas list.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 18:564 edits
    Originally posted by biffo konker
    This book was published in 1965.This was about the time that we had the first colour television broadcasts.Science and technolgy has not been standing still since then.In the same way as we refined our ideas for colour television broadcasting, scientists have refined their knowledge about Drosophilia fruit flies.This is how science works.If we were talk ...[text shortened]... g up some scientific paper from the sixties about video tape recorders to help prove your point.
    I see, ok then, Darwin's On the Origin of Species was published on 24 November 1859, using your logic that would put it figuratively in the iron age and make it essentially redundant, in fact when i looked up my own copy i had to practically wind it up, a little box popped up in the middle and three little birds started to tweet while a ballet dancer gyrated to the sound! what is more experiments on Drosophilia were started in the early 1900s, millions of experiments have been conducted, yes that is correct, millions of experiments, no new species, read it again, no new species!

this is the spirituality forum, here we have reasons for professing what we do, this type of dogma and expressions of pseudo-science belongs to the realm of fairy tales! You have not refined your knowledge you have refined your theory to make it fit around the evidence, ask Noobster about punctuated equilibrium, a refinement not of knowledge but to the theory, ask him about the reducing atmosphere, a refinement not of knowledge but to the theory, the theory of evolution is no more scientific than the sticky the stick insect meets freddie fly on a sticky bun!

it was never my intention to get into a futile debate, but lausey there just pole vaulted over the line by terming it a fact, nothing could be further from the truth and that is my last word upon it!
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 19:072 edits
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    [b]I was most pleased to see the victories in US courts against these spurious "science" claims.

What's interesting is that in the Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District trail, the leading experts from both sides were Christians and both Roman Catholics. Prof Behe on one side and Kenneth R Miller on the other. Kind of stumps the much ass rch for Common Ground Between God and Evolution.[/i]

That's going on my Christmas list.[/b]
    you bad ol putty cat atheists should not be allowed to celebrate Christmas and even if you do, Santa will bring you nothing because you don't believe in him! but then again you believe in evolution, Santa or Darwinian evolutionary theory , bah its practically the same anyway, best of luck with your wishes then!
  5. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 19:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    well i beg to differ 🙂
    With which point would you like to differ?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 19:36
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    With which point would you like to differ?
    the point that his opinion is not telling, i think it is.
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 19:531 edit
    Originally posted by Taoman

As I understand it, a theory is sometimes one of a number of coherent attempts to d to see the victories in US courts against these spurious "science" claims.
    Why is the term "Theory" still used in all books, magzines, web site, etc. If it's a fact then discard that term. Don't ya think?
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 21:05
    you bad ol putty cat atheists should not be allowed to celebrate Christmas and even if you do, Santa will bring you nothing because you don't believe in him! but then again you believe in evolution, Santa or Darwinian evolutionary theory , bah its practically the same anyway, best of luck with your wishes then!
    I don't believe in evolution, i accept the evidence. There's a difference.

As per usual you ignore the germane points of my argument and skip straight to the comedy. So predictable. Head still stuck firmly in ground...........or is that arse?
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 21:10
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Why is the term "Theory" still used in all books, magzines, web site, etc. If it's a fact then discard that term. Don't ya think?
    Surely someone as well versed in this particular scientific field as yourself would be able to explain this simple concept.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 21:27
    The Theories are worse than the Furies.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 21:52
    I see, ok then, Darwin's On the Origin of Species was published on 24 November 1859, using your logic that would put it figuratively in the iron age and make it essentially redundant,
    Funny, when we think about the age of the bible itself.

We know more about things today than books hundred years old. Evolution still holds. Observations agree with theory. This is not the case with Genisis.
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 22:12
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Surely someone as well versed in this particular scientific field as yourself would be able to explain this simple concept.
    No I can't as it makes no sense. A truth is a truth and a false is a flase. We cannot have evolution and creation mixed. It either happened one way or the other.
    One has to only look at all around him with all the complexities that evolution can never come close to explaining.
    If we did evolve up to what we are today then we should see the huge amounts of evidence that would be all over the earth...but it's not there noy matter how much.
    Only a God with an intellegence way beyond ours could have created the universe but it is so sad to see the blindness that so many have to the evidence of that.
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 22:38
    No I can't as it makes no sense. A truth is a truth and a false is a flase. We cannot have evolution and creation mixed. It either happened one way or the other.
    One has to only look at all around him with all the complexities that evolution can never come close to explaining.
    If we did evolve up to what we are today then we should see the huge amou ...[text shortened]... the universe but it is so sad to see the blindness that so many have to the evidence of that.
    We cannot have evolution and creation mixed.

Prof Behe would disagree.

Yes it can. Read up.

If we did evolve up to what we are today then we should see the huge amounts of evidence that would be all over the earth.

We don't have to look all over the earth. It's in our, and every other living organisms DNA.

Only a God with an intellegence way beyond ours could have created the universe.

Feel free to present your evidence, while your at it present your evidence for your fairytale creation story. You keep telling me what can't happen, show me what can
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 22:55
    We cannot have evolution and creation mixed.
    So what is natural selection then...?

Evolution (with a small e) is absolute definite concrete fact. The 'origins of life' is a different claim.
  15. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 00:14
    "theory" and "fact" aren't mutually exclusive constructs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree