One God....

One God....

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
28 Apr 10

Why was the comment made at Duet 6:4 that God was one God? What was the pourpose of this for that time?

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
28 Apr 10

Originally posted by galveston75
Why was the comment made at Duet 6:4 that God was one God? What was the pourpose of this for that time?
Because He (God) wanted the Israelites to worship him alone. They came out of the land of Egypt were there were a myriad of gods. The peoples of that whole area were polytheistic they had many gods. This however does not preclude that the one true God is not a trinity. This was the purpose of this statement for that time.

Manny

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
28 Apr 10

So which one is it?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
28 Apr 10

Originally posted by menace71
Because He (God) wanted the Israelites to worship him alone. They came out of the land of Egypt were there were a myriad of gods. The peoples of that whole area were polytheistic they had many gods. This however does not preclude that the one true God is not a trinity. This was the purpose of this statement for that time.

Manny
No I don't believe he said I am the "only" God. He said I am "one" God. Read it again....

d

Moves
28 Apr 10

There are many possible interpretations of that verse from the original Hebrew:

Yahweh Elohim Yahweh echad

Possibilities:
Yahweh (is) our God, Yahweh alone.
Yahweh our God (is) one Yahweh.
Yahweh our God, Yahweh (is) one.
Yahweh (is) our God, Yahweh (is) one.

Your guess is as good as mine. Why not ask God yourself and see what he tells you?

Source: http://www.wcg.org/lit/God/deut64.htm

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
28 Apr 10

Originally posted by darvlay
There are many possible interpretations of that verse from the original Hebrew:

Yahweh Elohim Yahweh echad

Possibilities:
Yahweh (is) our God, Yahweh alone.
Yahweh our God (is) one Yahweh.
Yahweh our God, Yahweh (is) one.
Yahweh (is) our God, Yahweh (is) one.

Your guess is as good as mine. Why not ask God yourself and see what he tells you?

Source: http://www.wcg.org/lit/God/deut64.htm
No need to ask. The scripture should be very clear to even a young child. "One" means "one" does it not?
This is where for some reason people that try to twist a scripture such as this into something like the trinity will get really wordy and speculate and formulate and try in any way they can to change such a point blank statement to fit their belief.
The reason God would make such a statement is because where his people had just been which was Egypt there was wide spread beliefs in many God's. And many of those God's were of the triune version.
So among many other things that God helped them to understand and not bring with them out of Egypt was the idea that their God, Jehovah, was not like any of the Egyptian triune gods, but "1" God as the scripture here cleary says.
If......God, Jehovah was part of a triune God he would have not made this statement and it wiould have been out of place.
His people never believed in a triune God and there is no record of it in the Old Testiment at all.

d

Moves
28 Apr 10
2 edits

No need to ask. The scripture should be very clear to even a young child. "One" means "one" does it not?
This is where for some reason people that try to twist a scripture such as this into something like the trinity will get really wordy and speculate and formulate and try in any way they can to change such a point blank statement to fit their belief never believed in a triune God and there is no record of it in the Old Testiment at all.
"One" means "one" does it not?
My dictionary has several meanings for the word one. How many does yours have? More importantly, how many contextual meanings are there for the Hebrew word "echad"? Does a young child know the answer to this? Do you think a young child understands the etymology and centuries of judaic study that have gone into this verse as well?

This is where for some reason people that try to twist a scripture such as this into something like the trinity will get really wordy and speculate and formulate and try in any way they can to change such a point blank statement to fit their belief.
Speaking of dictioinaries, you may want to look up the word irony in yours.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
28 Apr 10

Originally posted by darvlay
[b]"One" means "one" does it not?
My dictionary has several meanings for the word one. How many does yours have? More importantly, how many contextual meanings are there for the Hebrew word "echad"? Does a young child know the answer to this? Do you think a young child understands the etymology and centuries of judaic study that have gone int ...[text shortened]... f.[/b]
Speaking of dictioinaries, you may want to look up the word irony in yours.[/b]
Your doing exactly what the blind ones choose to do which leads to your confusion....
So in your confused state what does this scripture mean to you when it uses the word "one God"? Please explain!!!

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
29 Apr 10

No I don't believe he said I am the "only" God. He said I am "one" God. Read it again....
This does not change the answer to the question why did God say He was "one" to the Israelites. I gave you a legitimate answer. The answer was to distinguish Himself from the myriad (Means many) of gods that were in that land during that time. He also said he was a Jealous God why? He will not share Glory with any other god. If God said this then why does He share glory with Jesus?

Manny

u
Sharp Edge

Dulling my blade

Moves
29 Apr 10

Your doing exactly what the blind ones choose to do which leads to your confusion....
So in your confused state what does this scripture mean to you when it uses the word "one God"? Please explain!!!
And you take a modern english translation of an old book, filtered through ages, cultures and many languages as literal? I do not know how you can take so much faith into insignificant details in something so susceptible to corruption. Your god does not want you to fret over this- if you want to consider him a 'triune' god, what's the difference if you still abide by his instructions and hold a spiritual commune with him? If you consider him only one, then that's fine too, as long as you hold the other conditions considered with a triune god.
I can imagine god shaking and smacking his head because he forgot that grammatical rules don't necessarily translate from language to language and his people become lost and confused in applying a pure system of human made logic to try and convey this deistic message.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
29 Apr 10

Originally posted by ua41
And you take a modern english translation of an old book, filtered through ages, cultures and many languages as literal? I do not know how you can take so much faith into insignificant details in something so susceptible to corruption. Your god does not want you to fret over this- if you want to consider him a 'triune' god, what's the difference if you still ab ...[text shortened]... fused in applying a pure system of human made logic to try and convey this deistic message.
God says he wants to be worshipped with spirit and TRUTH. The word TRUTH is in the Bible hundreds of times so it must be important to him as many thru history have lost their life's by not worshipping him with TRUTH.
Again that scripture says he is (((( 1 )))) God. If one decides to see him differently that is ones decision. But as has been discussed and shown by the entire Bible, God is not part a a triune God and unless you worship him with TRUTH as he himself says to do..not me..then ones worship may be in vain.
If one really wants God's blessings and protection in the time we live in then it would seem one would really want to make sure some belief you have is TRUTH and is accepted by God and not just taught by some religion.
John 17:3 says " Taking in Knowledge" which would indicate searching for the thruth.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Apr 10

Galvo, could you supply the verses in full. You might be surprised.

Moves
30 Apr 10

Was this on porpoise?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
30 Apr 10

Originally posted by TerrierJack
Was this on porpoise?
Sorry..My eyes are bad so I'm doing the best I can...

d

Moves
30 Apr 10

I'm far from confused, Gal.

Personally, I could care less about the "true" meaning of the scripture as I am not a practising Christian nor do I believe in a divine "Word of God".

I just find great humour in sheep who examine the (questionable) English translations of a Hebrew text as if God was speaking to the prophets in his southern drawl or London accent.