1. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Mar '14 23:02
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    .... do each of you who have contributed answers agree in principle with twhitehead's summary?
    Yep
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Mar '14 23:17
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Yep
    Merci.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 Mar '14 23:22
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You got 7 responses. I am not convinced that they are different answers, I think that we do more or less have a consensus. I think all 7 responses say roughly:
    1. We do not look to any ultimate authority.
    2. We use our brains to figure out the correct course of action for any given situation. (note that some answers were broader but with reference to the non-morality part of the OP).
    I'm good with this as long as 'using our brains' still allows for consulting others as we see fit.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Mar '14 23:24
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I'm good with this as long as 'using our brains' still allows for consulting others as we see fit.
    'brains' only allowed (what else is there to use)..........
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 00:441 edit
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Yep
    Reply meant for GB: Well, theists use their brains, so, sure. I know that's a big concession for some here, and sometimes the bladder sends a signal asking for a decision rather sooner than later, please, on the morality of using the other gender's restroom...
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 11:12
    Originally posted by JS357
    Reply meant for GB: Well, theists use their brains, so, sure. I know that's a big concession for some here, and sometimes the bladder sends a signal asking for a decision rather sooner than later, please, on the morality of using the other gender's restroom...
    JS, please clarify. Thanks.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Mar '14 06:061 edit
    "The Definition of Morality" (First published Wed Apr 17, 2002; substantive revision Mon Mar 14, 2011)

"The term “morality” can be used either
    1. descriptively to refer to some codes of conduct put forward by a society or,
    a. some other group, such as a religion, or
    b. accepted by an individual for her own behavior or

2. normatively to refer t ...[text shortened]... ter"; "ultimate authority"; "absolute truth"; and the additional questions that have been asked.
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    One Remaining Question

Whom do atheists look up to or regard as the final arbiter or ultimate authority in matters of morality and absolute truth?

Original Post Re-Phrased:

"In whom or what do atheists look up to or regard as the final arbiter
    or ultimate authority in matters of morality
    and absolute truth?"

"Myself."

"Observe and study."

"Just seeing what works in improving peoples lives and does the least harm."

"I do not look to a 'whom' I look to logic, and the scientific method, and my own rationality."

"It doesn't matter whether I look up, down, sideways, inwards, or outwards for the answers. Point is, no matter where I may get them, I sign off on them, or not."

"Someone with better grammar skills."

"Erm...we don't!???"

Isolating the topic question pertaining to "morality", there appear to be seven answers. Any Consensus? (to be continued)

"We are on our own."

"The only consensus is that there is no consensus.
    I tend not to like the word 'final' in the premise. 'Final' means that no more questioning can take place."

"Consensus is not required for matters of personal volition. I like the colour Red, my sister prefers blue - why should we seek consensus on the matter of favorite colour?
    Similarly, whether or not one looks to an authority for matters of morality and whom or what that authority is, is a matter of personal choice. If however one does look to an authority, then we could discuss how reliable that authority is, and what the wisdom of looking to it might or might not be.
    But your OP does not ask 'are you wise to look to a given authority' it merely asks which authority you look to (and incorrectly presumes not only that we do all look to an authority, but also an ultimate authority). As such, all answers, if honestly given, are correct answers."

"I was merely saying that your 'no consensus' comment was poorly phrased. The OP does not ask 'who should you look to' it asks 'who do you look to'.
    The lack of consensus is on the question of 'who should you look to'.
    And I actually think that there is consensus that 'you shouldn't', the lack of consensus is rather on the question of what you should do as an alternative - but even there, there is not as much difference of opinion as it might appear."

Summary: We lack consensus with respect to "In whom or what do atheists look up to or regard as the final arbiter or ultimate authority in matters of morality." as qualified by twhitehead's summation reply.

Let's move on to "final arbiter"; "ultimate authority"; "absolute truth"; [and the additional questions that have been asked.]
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Mar '14 06:09
    "The Definition of Morality" (First published Wed Apr 17, 2002; substantive revision Mon Mar 14, 2011)

2. normatively to refer t ...[text shortened]... ter"; "ultimate authority"; "absolute truth"; and the additional questions that have been asked.
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (Page 5)

2. normatively to refer to a code of conduct that, given specified conditions, would be put forward by all rational persons."

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/morality-definition/

"Morality (from the Latin moralitas "manner, character, proper behavior) is the differentiation of intentions, decisions, and actions between those that are "good" (or right) and those that are "bad" (or wrong).[citation needed] The philosophy of morality is ethics.[citation needed] A moral code is a system of morality (according to a particular philosophy, religion, culture, etc.) and a moral is any one practice or teaching within a moral code. Morality may also be specifically synonymous with "goodness" or "rightness." Immorality is the active opposition to morality (i.e. opposition to that which is good or right), while amorality is variously defined as an unawareness of, indifference toward, or disbelief in any set of moral standards or principles.[1][2][3] An example of a moral code is the Golden Rule which states that, "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself."[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morality

Here are two impartial definitions/explanations of the word: "morality" in the hope that we can arrive at a consensus. Then we'll move on to "final arbiter"; "ultimate authority"; "absolute truth"; and the additional questions that have been asked.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree