1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 11:59
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Myself, twhitehead, voidspirit are discussing whether mythology, which I take to mean the result of early human effort at collection of inspired stories about the strange world around them, is useful in making sense of the Ultimate Reality/ Truth / God or not. Where does astrology come into this ? Or phrenology or scientology ?
    Like myths, astrology is thought by some to be useful in making sense of the "Ultimate Reality/ Truth / God" too. Are you one of them?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 12:01
    Myself, twhitehead, voidspirit are discussing whether mythology, which I take to mean the result of early human effort at collection of inspired stories about the strange world around them, is useful in making sense of the Ultimate Reality/ Truth / God or not. Where does astrology come into this ? Or phrenology or scientology ?
    Why should early human efforts at making wild guesses be any more successful than more modern efforts? How do you separate such early human efforts from early human religions, con jobs, fiction, delusional rambling, etc?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 12:041 edit
    Myself, twhitehead, voidspirit are discussing whether mythology... etc. etc.
    Well I was trying to discuss it with you too, but all you seemed to have was that mythology is the closest thing we have to truth because someone called Ananda Coomaraswamy said so. And you thought so too. You even tried to simply brush aside an alternative, psychological reason why cultures embrace mythology that undermines plucked-from-nowhere assertions that it is the closest thing humans have to truth.
  4. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 12:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    Like myths, astrology is thought by some to be useful in making sense of the "Ultimate Reality/ Truth / God" too. Are you one of them?
    No, because astrology does not help me reach God.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 12:14
    No, because astrology does not help me reach God.
    So it should be ignored?
  6. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 12:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why should early human efforts at making wild guesses be any more successful than more modern efforts? How do you separate such early human efforts from early human religions, con jobs, fiction, delusional rambling, etc?
    Scientific thinking is highly necessary in the advancement of science. A-logical thinking may help us in the area of supernatural. Human right brain is well equipped with capability of a-logical thinking. Many thinkers like Aldous Huxley,Walt Whitman, Thomas De Quincey and numerous others experimented with drugs precisely for this. The shamans and dervishes were getting drugged for the same purpose. Anything that gets humanity closer to the Ultimate Reality should be welcome.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 12:44
    Anything that gets humanity closer to the Ultimate Reality should be welcome.
    So astrology, phrenology and scientology don't help you reach God but you "welcome" them because perhaps they might be "the nearest approach to absolute truth that can be stated in words" along with mythology and experimenting with drugs?
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 12:451 edit
    A-logical thinking may help us in the area of supernatural.
    That is obvious. The supernatural is by definition illogical. But illogical thinking only leads to illogical results which can not reasonably called 'truth'.

Human right brain is well equipped with capability of a-logical thinking. Many thinkers like Aldous Huxley,Walt Whitman, Thomas De Quincey and numerous others experimented with drugs precisely for this.
    You certainly seem good at illogical thinking. First you tell us we are well equipped then point out that mind damaging substances are required.

The shamans and dervishes were getting drugged for the same purpose. Anything that gets humanity closer to the Ultimate Reality should be welcome.
    Calling drug induced illogical thinking "Ultimate Reality" is laughable, but not surprising considering that you are probably loaded with drugs as you type. Or does drug induced illogical thinking not work for Chess Forums?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 13:01
    Myself, twhitehead, voidspirit are discussing whether mythology, which I take to mean the result of early human effort at collection of inspired stories about the strange world around them, is useful in making sense of the Ultimate Reality/ Truth / God or not.
    I think if you want to look into mythology you'd be better off starting off doing so by way of anthopology and psychology, rather than treating it as something you will use selectively to bolster your theology and superstition.
  10. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 13:27
    Originally posted by Dasa
    After you take away all the mumbo jumbo science talk............and present what the science people are teaching to our children in plain english - then this is what they are saying.....

There was an explosion a long time ago and nothing became something - and this something created a cosmos with gravity, universes, solar systems, suns, moons and a planet ca ...[text shortened]... lain life/origins.

Vedic teachings/knowledge/religion/spirituality are eternal and perfect.
    Dasa - I like every thing you said especially the part where you mentioned "absolute height of child abuse", however, you had the ending totally wrong... which was...

OH......*and the option to all this - is not Christian Creationism which is just as absurd as the science folly.
    Vedic knowledge/teachings is the only option to explain life/origins.
    Vedic teachings/knowledge/religion/spirituality are eternal and perfect.

...this can also be seen as child abuse according to me to learn children that God does exist, but He will reincarnate us eternally, now our souls will never be with Him - so, live the life you want - good or bad. Do you see what is wrong here?

1. I still would like for you to answer me this...With which bigger part do you agree in the Bible?
    a. Old Testament
    b. New Testament
    c. Neither

2. Do you believe the God of Christianity is the same God you serve?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 13:381 edit
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    Dasa - I like every thing you said especially the part where you mentioned "absolute height of child abuse"...
    You especially liked that part?
  12. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 14:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    You especially liked that part?
    Yes - cause evolutionists are putting a lot of effort in to having evolution learned in schools. This will be child abuse as children are forced to accept evolution instead of religion. Religion has been taken out from school because of the same principle (atheist not wanting their children to be learned religion) so how does this differ?
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 14:46
    Yes - cause evolutionists are putting a lot of effort in to having evolution learned in schools. This will be child abuse as children are forced to accept evolution instead of religion. Religion has been taken out from school because of the same principle (atheist not wanting their children to be learned religion) so how does this differ?
    At science, children should be taught about science, not religion.
    At religion, children should be taught about religion, every religion.

You see, creationism isn't science, it's religion.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 14:48
    There aren't many things worse than "child abuse". What should be done about the "child abusers"?
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 15:04
    Where do the countless religious people who accept the evidence for evolution fit into your scheme of things?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree