1. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 13:07
    Im not saying God doesnt exist, but what the **** is up with this argument? god exists because we can DEFINE Him?" can someone make this credible to me, or reinforce my view that it is ridiculous please
    maybe Anselm was having a bad day?
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 13:27
    Originally posted by mazziewag
    Im not saying God doesnt exist, but what the **** is up with this argument? god exists because we can DEFINE Him?" can someone make this credible to me, or reinforce my view that it is ridiculous please
    I also wonder if people laughed at him the first time he formulated it.

(and then put on a very serious face trying to find out where the hell is his formal mistake)
  3. London
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 13:50
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I also wonder if people laughed at him the first time he formulated it.

(and then put on a very serious face trying to find out where the hell is his formal mistake)
    I don't think Anselm was trying to "prove" the existence of God to a skeptic/atheist.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 13:59
    The concept that it is possible to DEFINE something that is by definition unknowable is what is rediculous.
  5. London
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 14:06
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The concept that it is possible to DEFINE something that is by definition unknowable is what is rediculous.
    How is God "unknowable by definition"??
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 14:54
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I don't think Anselm was trying to "prove" the existence of God to a skeptic/atheist.
    What was he trying to do?
  7. London
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 15:06
    What was he trying to do?
    Don't know really. He certainly goes on to use his definition of God to derive other attributes of God.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 15:07
    Don't know really. He certainly goes on to use his definition of God to derive other attributes of God.
    That's what I meant. I mean, do you know anyone who read it for the first time and the first reaction wasn't: what the hell?!?

(Ok, without the profanity 😉)
  9. London
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 15:13
    That's what I meant. I mean, do you know anyone who read it for the first time and the first reaction wasn't: what the hell?!?

(Ok, without the profanity 😉)
    Probably not. It wasn't even well-received within the Church (Aquinas, for instance, was a notable critic).
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 15:19
    Probably not. It wasn't even well-received within the Church (Aquinas, for instance, was a notable critic).
    Aquinas, now there's an interesting scholar. Have you read his Summa Theologiae? Is his writing a heavy read or is it clear and fluent?

I've been curious about it for a long time.
  11. London
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 15:42
    Aquinas, now there's an interesting scholar. Have you read his Summa Theologiae? Is his writing a heavy read or is it clear and fluent?

I've been curious about it for a long time.
    Provided you're reasonably clear on your Aristotle and Plato, it's not particularly heavy.

You can read the Summa online at

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '06 00:58
    god exists because we can DEFINE Him?"
    Some of the ontological arguments aren't that ridiculous. But I don't know too many people who think any of them are persuasive.

Check out the "Hegelian" ontological argument:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/ontological-arguments/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree