1. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 00:10
    As a believer in karma I am troubled as to its' origin. If one pre-supposes that there was time when karma did not exist then that presupposition disproves the existence of karma. Therefore, karma could only be an infinite force which governs more than this universe. This implies that there exists at least 1 other universe where karma does not exist and there is a connection between karmatic and non-karmatic universe(s). Karma requires an action but in order to receive that action one must have already created that "karmatic debt".
    New String Theory is looking better all the time.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 00:372 edits
    Originally posted by caissad4
    As a believer in karma I am troubled as to its' origin. If one pre-supposes that there was time when karma did not exist then that presupposition disproves the existence of karma. Therefore, karma could only be an infinite force which governs more than this universe. This implies that there exists at least 1 other universe where karma does not exist and the ...[text shortened]... have already created that "karmatic debt".
    Can you provide more detail as to your conception of karma? I get the impression that there are more than a few floating around.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 00:40
    As a believer in karma I am troubled as to its' origin. If one pre-supposes that there was time when karma did not exist then that presupposition disproves the existence of karma. Therefore, karma could only be an infinite force which governs more than this universe. This implies that there exists at least 1 other universe where karma does not exist and the ...[text shortened]... have already created that "karmatic debt".
    Sounds like you don't know what you believe or what to believe in or why you believe in it.

From the content of your post I'd say you most likely just finished a joint.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 00:43
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Can you provide more detail as to your conception of karma? I get the impression that there are more than a few floating around.
    The only thing floating around is the smoke from the bowl of dope he just smoked.
  5. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 00:45
    Originally posted by josephw
    Sounds like you don't know what you believe or what to believe in or why you believe in it.
    From the content of your post I'd say you most likely just finished a joint.
    Did your god tell you to write that?
    I am merely engaging in a Buddhist tradtion where one, in the final third of ones' life, questions ones' own beliefs.
  6. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 00:47
    The only thing floating around is the smoke from the bowl of dope he just smoked.
    I am sorry that my post has caused you to lose control. Your condition appears treatable.
  7. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 00:54
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    My definition of karma is that the effects created on others by someone inversely create the effect upon the original creator. This is not saying that if you steal 100 dollars from someone then someone will steal from you. It is the effect not the purely physical action although it could be.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 00:57
    Did your god tell you to write that?
    I am merely engaging in a Buddhist tradtion where one, in the final third of ones' life, questions ones' own beliefs.
    Ya man! He's sittin' right here next to me telling me what to say.

It must be frustrating. To be so intelligent, and yet unable to know, after living two thirds of your life, what you believe.

If I were you I'd chuck it in the can and get a hold of something you can believe in.

Get it?
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 01:00
    My definition of karma is that the effects created on others by someone inversely create the effect upon the original creator. This is not saying that if you steal 100 dollars from someone then someone will steal from you. It is the effect not the purely physical action although it could be.
    My definition of karma is that the effects created on others by someone inversely create the effect upon the original creator.

Take a deep breath. Hold in the smoke. Now exhale.
  10. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 01:01
    Ya man! He's sittin' right here next to me telling me what to say.
    It must be frustrating. To be so intelligent, and yet unable to know, after living two thirds of your life, what you believe.
    If I were you I'd chuck it in the can and get a hold of something you can believe in.
    Get it?
    Seeking the truth takes much more time than you apparently imagine.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 01:32
    Seeking the truth takes much more time than you apparently imagine.
    I'm under no illusions about how much time it takes to see the truth. You see, I've been a Christian for half my life and I'm still learning.

I'll wager we're about the same age.
  12. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 01:43
    I'm under no illusions about how much time it takes to see the truth. You see, I've been a Christian for half my life and I'm still learning.
    I'll wager we're about the same age.
    You must first understand the tremendous difference between seeking the truth and seeing the truth
    Seeking the truth is a journey.
    Seeing the truth is the end of the journey.
    While you still live the journey continues.
  13. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 01:50
    the origin of karmic theory is Hindu not Buddhist. In the Hindu tradition Karma is a discipline (yoga) one exercises along with others in order to bring harmony into ones being. Karma does not exist outside of oneself, it is integral to your actions, in fact it is your actions, as well as your thoughts, and inactions
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 02:02
    You must first understand the tremendous difference between seeking the truth and seeing the truth
    Seeking the truth is a journey.
    Seeing the truth is the end of the journey.
    While you still live the journey continues.
    I already know the truth. And it has set me free.

My journey in this life will end when this body dies. Then I will enjoy life eternal. Actually, I have eternal life right now.

You can't handle that can you? You can't bring yourself to believe that I KNOW I have eternal life. But it's true. I know it!

So you have to say it's an illusion. That's all you can say. It's the only thing you can think of.

But you don't know. You can't be sure that that is right. You have to keep falling on that or you choke.

I know what it's like. I've been there.

Of course, now I'm a fool.
  15. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 05:53
    Dont worry about Josheph, his whole source of knowledge comes from the bible, and anything else is a mystery to him.

I know what you mean, and may i add that the law of karma is eternal, but it only operates in the material creation and not in the spiritual dimension....but the spiritual dimension is the source of this law along with all physical laws.

The material creation is eternal also, but that doesnt mean that this structured universe is eternal, but it means the material energy that makes up this universe is eternal but sometimes its manifest and sometimes its not.

vishva

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree