OT God is a bastard

OT God is a bastard

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
14 Feb 08

Please post stories from the old testament that confirm that this god is a wicked one. At least according to today's parameters.

1 - Cain and Abel
God accepted blood sacrifices??? He didn't like Cain's sacrifice? Because it didn't involve killing animals?

This really seems a tribal god.

m

Moves
14 Feb 08

It was a tragic day in history when man said "Let us make God in our own image" It is even more tragic if we expect this man-made deity to be benign and benevolent and loving and just.

P

Moves
15 Feb 08

Yup. It is a shame that he was born out of wedlock.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
15 Feb 08

Ignorants!

s

Moves
15 Feb 08

Originally posted by josephw
Ignorants!
Enlighten us. Were the sacrifices a test? A methaphor? The more I read old testament, the more I'm sure this was all men made (no divine God around)

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
15 Feb 08

A lot of discussion about particular incidents in the OT was done 3 years ago in this thread: http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=20100

s

Moves
15 Feb 08

Originally posted by no1marauder
A lot of discussion about particular incidents in the OT was done 3 years ago in this thread: http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=20100
wow....

i'm astonished with the things people believe... completely irrational...

I start to think it's a waste of time debating with some people. They're living in another world and can't see the barbarities they're saying...
They're not kidding, they really believe it...

Fallen Angels impregnating women and giving birth to giants...
GOd ordered the massacres to protect his people...
The Messiah would be born from that generation , so God acted so...
Don't judge your creator, he had His reasons...

The worst part is the huge lobby there is to protect this kind of thinking... Control and unite people through religion, I guess...
It's so sad... I was born in the wrong century...

M
Quis custodiet

ipsos custodes?

Moves
15 Feb 08
2 edits

Ignorants!
Shouting Ignorants at someone doesn't exactly help the bibles case..... defend it through explanation and your much more likely to actually be listened to....
And all in all he does have a point, OT doesn't exactly portray god as a nice loving being now does it.....

He's vengeful, proud, arrogant and at times down right evil.... wait aren't they all the tings he tells us not to be??

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
15 Feb 08

More ignorants!

You have already made up your mind. Why should I defend the truth when you obviously are completely ignorant about the Bible which is so aptly demonstrated by your senseless comments?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
15 Feb 08

Why should I defend the truth when I'm too lazy to bother?
Fixed.

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
15 Feb 08

Biblical scholar Raymond Schwager:

"... has found 600 passages of explicit violence in the Hebrew Bible [a.k.a. Old Testament], 1000 verses where God's own violent actions of punishment are described, 100 passages where God expressly commands others to kill people, and several stories where God irrationally kills or tries to kill for no apparent reason. Violence ... is easily the most often mentioned activity in the Hebrew Bible."

http://www.religioustolerance.org/god_cana.htm

m

Moves
15 Feb 08

Ignorant about the bible????, Did not this omnipotent God tell the Israelites they must have no other gods before Him, They must not make unto themselves graven images or bow down and worship them. How strange, He has absolute power, but cant handle any competition? He acknowledges that these man made images are in fact gods. or He would not have used that very word to describe them. He also admits that He is "a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the father upon the son, and his son, unto the third and fourth generation" Only mankind could possibly have manufactured such a childishly insecure God.

Cape Town

Moves
15 Feb 08

More ignorants!

You have already made up your mind. Why should I defend the truth when you obviously are completely ignorant about the Bible which is so aptly demonstrated by your senseless comments?
Because they will remain ignorant unless you enlighten them. Your stance boils down to:
Christian: Read the Bible - it is the way to the truth.
Potential convert: OK I read a bit, and it doesn't make sense, what does it really mean?
Christian: Ignorants, I wont waste my time with you because you are completely ignorant about the Bible!

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
19 Feb 08
2 edits

Originally posted by serigado
Please post stories from the old testament that confirm that this god is a wicked one. At least according to today's parameters.

1 - Cain and Abel
God accepted blood sacrifices??? He didn't like Cain's sacrifice? Because it didn't involve killing animals?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
19 Feb 08
1 edit

Originally posted by serigado

1 - Cain and Abel

The parrot choir under the direction of Richard Dawkins is performing again tonight, folks ... the most popular tunes will be brought to you and you'll heave a hell of a good time singing along.

You don't need to know anything, you don't need to understand anything and what's more important you do'nt have to study anything ... that's too hard for folks like us .... it's easier to sing the popular parrot choir tunes .... and here we go again, folks ..... grab your gal and hit the floor ....