1. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 15:05
    "Don’t you get it? It’s all Christianity people! The little stupid differences are nothing next to the big stupid similarities!"

- Bart Simpson

Discuss!
  2. England
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 15:20
    wheres the babes
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 15:25
    Originally posted by PBE6
    "Don’t you get it? It’s all Christianity people! The little stupid differences are nothing next to the big stupid similarities!"

- Bart Simpson

Discuss!
    That's a good start, but....John 4:24. The word "Truth" has to be taken seriously. It's there for a reason. On the other hand Ga 5:9 is a warning. Take it as you may....
  4. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 15:411 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    That's a good start, but....John 4:24. The word "Truth" has to be taken seriously. It's there for a reason. On the other hand Ga 5:9 is a warning. Take it as you may....
    Hey bible-thumper, just post the whole passage would ya?

"God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."
    John 4:24

Interesting. But even more interesting when read in conjunction with John 4:22:

"You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews."
    John 4:22

"A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough."
    Galatians 5:9

If you've ever tried to make bread before, you know this is only true if you take the time to whisk the dry ingredients first to spread the yeast out evenly. Otherwise, you get dry floury patches. I prefer "one bad apple spoils the whole bunch, girl".

(EDIT: Throwing around verses is fun! No wonder rabbis do this all day.)
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 15:45

- Bart Simpson

Discuss!
    it's simpsons. one doesn't watch the simpsons for deep thoughts
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 15:451 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 15:52
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    it's simpsons. one doesn't watch the simpsons for deep thoughts
    That's too bad. Comedy is one of the only modes of discussion that has the ability to send ideas deep into the psyche without a struggle, like a Trojan horse of truth.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 16:00
    That's too bad. Comedy is one of the only modes of discussion that has the ability to send ideas deep into the psyche without a struggle, like a Trojan horse of truth.
    some comedy

what ideas does "dude where's my car?" send into your psyche? how about the simpsons?

it's entertainment. if you look for deep ideas in entertainment i can make a matrix philosophy thread for you.
  9. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 16:051 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    some comedy

what ideas does "dude where's my car?" send into your psyche? how about the simpsons?

it's entertainment. if you look for deep ideas in entertainment i can make a matrix philosophy thread for you.
    Come on Zahlanzi, you know as well as I do that "Dude Where's My Car?" is an easy strawman target, precisely because: (1) it had no message to deliver beyond Aston Kutcher face; and (2) it wasn't that funny. What about George Carlin? Bill Hicks? Richard Pryor? South Park?

EDIT: Moreover, the "depth" of the idea and the "depth" of the penetration aren't equivalent. The idea that there is no vengeful ghost watching you to make sure you don't masturbate or eat meat on Fridays isn't particularly "deep", but the converse is often held deeply within the psyche of the devoutly religious. A good comic can use this stuffiness against the stuffy by pointing out the inherent silliness of their stuffy stance. It's like mental judo, without the flashy duds.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 11:45
    Homer:"Why does everything I touch burn?"
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 12:15

- Bart Simpson

Discuss!
    Sure Bart, and all roads lead to Rome and all the colours bleed into one. Lets all aspire to the lowest common demoninator for the sake of a little peace and quiet...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree