1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 11:05
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The obvious difference is that none of the Christians in this forum would ever consider leaving our faith, and you did. Others can make of that what they will.
    are you refering to real christians or "christians" that think killing people indiscriminately will solve something?
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 21:15
    Song of Solomon, one of the most beautiful hymns to love ever composed.
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 23:11
    Originally posted by FMF
    Before I lost my belief in the credibility of the Bible - and therefore my Christian beliefs - I never considered leaving the faith. So from my perspective, a Christian stating 'I would never consider leaving my faith' can only constitute a 'fact' in so far as it relates to the present [I used to think the same thing, after all] but, beyond that, such certainty- ...[text shortened]... moment can only be an assumption or aspiration when it comes to what may happen in their future,
    Before I lost my belief in the credibility of the Bible - and therefore my Christian beliefs - I never considered leaving the faith.

You’ve stated this before. What I don’t understand is what you mean by “credibility”. Do you mean something like literalism/inerrancy? I don’t intend this as an argumentative question.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 23:27
    Originally posted by vistesd
    What I don’t understand is what you mean by “credibility”.
    I eventually came to realize that I did not believe that the Bible was divinely inspired or that any supernatural occurrences had contributed to its writing. So, I could no longer subscribe to the claims that Christians make their God figure and about the meaning they attach to the life and death Jesus. As such, professing Christian beliefs became untenable.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 01:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    So, if, as you now seem to be saying, you were not referring to the bit about not "recognizing what others offer", which bit of what I said prompted you to say "Oh the irony" because if you can't say what was ironic - in your view - about what I said, then "Oh the irony" comes across as either a mere swish or just a blurt, neither of which seems to have benefitted from even a momet's thought, which is so often the way with you. πŸ˜‰
    As you wish. But others here are older than two and can discern what I meant.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 01:53
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    are you refering to real christians or "christians" that think killing people indiscriminately will solve something?
    What "indiscriminate" killing are you talking about? God discriminates quite well, thank you.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 02:04
    As you wish. But others here are older than two and can discern what I meant.
    This dodge would then indeed indicate that your "Oh the irony" post was a trademark thoughtless swish-and-a-blurt. You sell yourself short, Suzianne, day after day. πŸ˜€

My comment about Grampy Bobby gushing self-promoting-ly about how he misses a certain poster - when the very fact he didn't/doesn't really know the poster at all, and rarely ever engaged him properly, and still doesn't - therefore stands - irony-free - and is an on-topic response to the OP.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 06:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    This dodge would then indeed indicate that your "Oh the irony" post was a trademark thoughtless swish-and-a-blurt. You sell yourself short, Suzianne, day after day. πŸ˜€

My comment about Grampy Bobby gushing self-promoting-ly about how he misses a certain poster - when the very fact he didn't/doesn't really know the poster at all, and rarely ever engaged him pr ...[text shortened]... erly, and still doesn't - therefore stands - irony-free - and is an on-topic response to the OP.
    As I said, others will make of that what they will. I don't have to lead them around by the nose to see the irony.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 10:02
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Share your interest and would appreciate any particular passages of scripture which are your "favourite parts".
    OK, scripturally, I was thinking of the women not recognising the risen Christ and also the OT account of Melchesideck (probably spelt wrongly). I enjoy certain passages where those seeking Christ find him but don't recognise him. It is an interesting contemporary parallel.
  10. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 10:23
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Original post by SwissGambit (on 30 Apr '14 21:49) Thread 159077 (Page 1 his second post)
    [b]Parts of the Bible I like

"I don't see the Proverbs verses as a problematic contradiction. Perhaps the same word was used deliberately, as a rhetorical device; or, the words were different in the original Hebrew, and became the same ...[text shortened]... ts, personal messages and thumbs down [which evidence readership] are welcome as always. Thanks,[/b]
    Parts of the bible I like......The End
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 11:061 edit
    What "indiscriminate" killing are you talking about? God discriminates quite well, thank you.
    an example? out of the many available in the bible? some kids mock the prophet whatshisname for being bald, 40 children die as retribution. death by bear. nevermind that it's insane to kill children for mocking you (their children, they have no common sense), nevermind that is even more insane to use feckin bears for it. why did 40 children have to die for the "sin" of a few?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 11:13
    an example? out of the many available in the bible? some kids mock the prophet whatshisname for being bald, 40 children die as retribution. death by bear. nevermind that it's insane to kill children for mocking you (their children, they have no common sense), nevermind that is even more insane to use feckin bears for it. why did 40 children have to die for the "sin" of a few?
    I don't contest your point here. But I am still interested in understanding on what basis you proclaim yourself to be Christian if you'd care to share that?
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 11:551 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I don't contest your point here. But I am still interested in understanding on what basis you proclaim yourself to be Christian if you'd care to share that?
    i believe in jesus and i follow (try) his teachings. therefore christian.

i don't have to be homophobic to be christian.
    i don't have to excuse fictional killings.
    i don't have to be anti-science.
    i don't have to be sexist
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 14:29

A good response, thanks. You clearly don't think the OT is inspired scripture; do you believe the entire NT is?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 23:22

And apparently, you don't need faith, either. And oh yeah, even atheists and unrepentant sinners go to heaven because God is just such a nice guy.

You give us normal liberals a bad name.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree