1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '15 17:302 edits
    Original post by SwissGambit (on 30 Apr '14 21:49) Thread 159077 (Page 1 his second post)
    Parts of the Bible I like

"I don't see the Proverbs verses as a problematic contradiction. Perhaps the same word was used deliberately, as a rhetorical device; or, the words were different in the original Hebrew, and became the same in certain English translations.

It's kind of like other satirical jabs illustrating the frustration of difficult situations. Sort of like, "there are two theories to arguing with a woman; neither one works." (Sexist, I know; but the frustration is real)." About @SwissGambit: "Last moved 355 days 22 hours and 1 minute ago"

Personal Note: I miss the presence of this honest man on Red Hot Pawn's Spirituality Forum more than anyone else here could possibly know.....

Your objective insights, relevant comments, personal messages and thumbs down [which evidence readership] are welcome as always. Thanks,
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '15 18:592 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Original post by SwissGambit (on 30 Apr '14 21:49) Thread 159077 (Page 1 his second post)
    [b]Parts of the Bible I like

Personal Note: I miss the presence of this honest man on Red Hot Pawn's Spirituality Forum more than anyone else here could possibly know....[/b]
    Some of my favourite parts of the Bible include those accounts of people not recognising other people who were present in plain sight. 😉
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Aug '15 20:441 edit
    Personal Note: I miss the presence of this honest man [SwissGambit] on Red Hot Pawn's Spirituality Forum more than anyone else here could possibly know...
    Maybe you didn't know him as well as you thought [or as well as you are now pretending to have done] or perhaps this gushing about missing him comes from the attention-seeking part of your forum persona which prevents you from recognizing what others offer and what they are like, except in some shallow, insincere way? Just a thought.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Aug '15 20:45
    Your objective insights, relevant comments, personal messages and thumbs down [which evidence readership] are welcome as always. Thanks,
    What are your objective insights into the thread you've cited in the OP?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '15 23:081 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Maybe you didn't know him as well as you thought [or as well as you are now pretending to have done] or perhaps this gushing about missing him comes from the attention-seeking part of your forum persona which prevents you from recognizing what others offer and what they are like, except in some shallow, insincere way? Just a thought.
    "Personal Note: I miss the presence of this honest man..."

Originally posted by FMF
    "Maybe you didn't know him as well as you thought [or as well as you are now pretending to have done] or perhaps this gushing about missing him..."

There you go again fixating on people rather than events [SwissGambit's absence] or ideas [his thread topic:
    "Parts of the Bible I like"]. Eleanor would have enjoyed this thread herself had she not departed this life in 1962.
    Home phone's ringing: Vivian [aka V/8] said she'd be calling this evening. Musn't keep a lady waiting..........
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '15 23:11
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Some of my favourite parts of the Bible include those accounts of people not recognising other people who were present in plain sight. 😉
    Share your interest and would appreciate any particular passages of scripture which are your "favourite parts".
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 00:411 edit
    There you go again fixating on people rather than events [SwissGambit's absence] or ideas [his thread topic:
    "Parts of the Bible I like"]. Eleanor would have enjoyed this thread herself had she not departed this life in 1962.
    Home phone's ringing: Vivian [aka V/8] said she'd be calling this evening. Musn't keep a lady waiting..........
    But it's you who is "fixating on" SwissGambit and your parading-your-emotions act only goes to show that you don't seem to have known him. What image of yourself are you trying to project by lamenting what you see as the lost opportunity to engage him properly now, when you so often dodged the opportunity to engage him properly in the past?
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 00:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    Oh, the irony.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 01:06
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Oh, the irony.
    If you are referring to the bit about not "recognizing what others offer" and the religious beliefs propagated by Christians here, then you should remember that I tried it myself for a long time and so I do recognize pretty well what it is they offer.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 01:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you are referring to the bit about not "recognizing what others offer" and the religious beliefs propagated by Christians here, then you should remember that I tried it myself for a long time and so I do recognize pretty well what it is they offer.
    I tried it myself for a long time and so I do recognize pretty well what it is they offer.

It's like Coca Cola, you need to try the "real thing" not some watered down whatever you were involved in...😀
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 02:211 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I tried it myself for a long time and so I do recognize pretty well what it is they offer.

It's like Coca Cola, you need to try the "real thing" not some watered down whatever you were involved in...😀
    If you don't think I was a genuine follower of Christ in the past, it's fine by me. I'm not one anymore, which is what matters now.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 04:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    My statement stands because I wasn't specifically talking about 'religious beliefs' (because neither were you). You do this all the time. You make a general statement, and then when called on it, you narrow it down to one specific instance that you can easily make the case it was 'what you meant'. My statement was my reaction to what you posted, not what you 'say' I'm referring to.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 04:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you don't think I was a genuine follower of Christ in the past, it's fine by me. I'm not one anymore, which is what matters now.
    The obvious difference is that none of the Christians in this forum would ever consider leaving our faith, and you did. Others can make of that what they will.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 06:281 edit
    The obvious difference is that none of the Christians in this forum would ever consider leaving our faith, and you did. Others can make of that what they will.
    Before I lost my belief in the credibility of the Bible - and therefore my Christian beliefs - I never considered leaving the faith. So from my perspective, a Christian stating 'I would never consider leaving my faith' can only constitute a 'fact' in so far as it relates to the present [I used to think the same thing, after all] but, beyond that, such certainty-in-the-moment can only be an assumption or aspiration when it comes to what may happen in their future,
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 06:32
    My statement stands because I wasn't specifically talking about 'religious beliefs' (because neither were you). You do this all the time. You make a general statement, and then when called on it, you narrow it down to one specific instance that you can easily make the case it was 'what you meant'. My statement was my reaction to what you posted, not what you 'say' I'm referring to.
    So, if, as you now seem to be saying, you were not referring to the bit about not "recognizing what others offer", which bit of what I said prompted you to say "Oh the irony" because if you can't say what was ironic - in your view - about what I said, then "Oh the irony" comes across as either a mere swish or just a blurt, neither of which seems to have benefitted from even a momet's thought, which is so often the way with you. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree