1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Jun '14 17:02
    Originally posted by sonship
    If out of man's imagination the character of Jesus Christ was concocted fictitiously, then we better find that person. He or she has more wisdom than anyone else who has ever lived.

Still waiting for Sonship or his backup team to substantiate this in any way.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jun '14 17:351 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Still waiting for Sonship or his backup team to substantiate this in any way.
    For starters - 1,100 quotations from people about the life and teachings Jesus.

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/jesus
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Jun '14 17:57
    For starters - 1,100 quotations from people about the life and teachings Jesus
    I have to warn you that if you try to play the numbers game, Jesus will loose to Confucius, by a fairly big margin.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jun '14 23:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I have to warn you that if you try to play the numbers game, Jesus will loose to Confucius, by a fairly big margin.
    And if I am not playing a "numbers game" I needn't be concerned.

Or did I misunderstand your post?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jun '14 23:11
    Originally posted by FMF
    So you've called some people "fools" using a line from your religious literature. Well done.
    Thankyou.

Here's my favorite verse on fools in the Bible -

"Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him." (Proverbs 26:12)

You really get the impact of verse 12 when it comes after the previous 11 verses which are all about fools.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Jun '14 02:56
    For starters - [b]1,100 quotations from people about the life and teachings Jesus.

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/jesus[/b]
    If I gave you a quotation from X about Y.
    How would that prove Y was wise?

You are claiming Jesus showed fantastic wisdom.
    Give us your best example of that wisdom.

(For the sake of argument we can all pretend the bible is factual)
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jun '14 02:59
    Thankyou.

Here's my favorite verse on fools in the Bible -

[b]"Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him." (Proverbs 26:12)

You really get the impact of verse 12 when it comes after the previous 11 verses which are all about fools.[/b]
    What impact?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jun '14 03:57
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Pascal's Wager Simplified

Options: 1) Accept God's Grace Gift of eternal life with an uncoerced decision to believe [place your confidence] in Christ for your salvation; 2) Reject the Person and Work of Christ as flimsy fiction. Risk/Reward Question: What if you're wrong?
    Curiosity Question: Customary for a thread with an OP which receives [0] [7] Thumbs to garner 156 posts in three days?
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jun '14 04:352 edits
    For starters - 1,100 quotations from people about the life and teachings Jesus.

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/jesus[/b]
    Here are two quotations on the Risen Christ, sonship: “I know the resurrection is a fact, and Watergate proved it to me. How? Because 12 men testified they had seen Jesus raised from the dead, then they proclaimed that truth for 40 years, never once denying it. Every one was beaten, tortured, stoned and put in prison. They would not have endured that if it weren't true. Watergate embroiled 12 of the most powerful men in the world-and they couldn't keep a lie for three weeks. You're telling me 12 apostles could keep a lie for 40 years? Absolutely impossible.” -Charles W. Colson

"For me the most radical demand of Christian faith lies in summoning the courage to say yes to the present risenness of Jesus Christ.” -Brennan Manning, Abba's Child: The Cry of the Heart for Intimate Belonging
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jun '14 05:07
    Originally posted by Dasa
    You cannot tell me the difference between true religion and false religion and this is evidence of your ignorance
    I can tell that false religion has followers who promote the mass genocide of followers of another religion, as you did with your infamous comment about Muslim men.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Jun '14 05:47
    And if I am not playing a "numbers game" I needn't be concerned.
    Then you needn't be concerned on that count.

However, when it comes to claims of Wisdom, you should still be concerned about Confucius. And even more concerned if you haven't read his writing as that would mean you just made the claim up, rather than basing it on facts.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Jun '14 06:071 edit
    Curiosity Question: Customary for a thread with an OP which receives [0] [7] Thumbs to garner 156 posts in three days?
    Yes, it is. In general more controversial topics get more posts. That's why trolling on the internet is so successful.
    OPs that everyone agrees with, go nowhere.
    OPs that one side does not want to discuss, go nowhere.
    OPs where the usual suspects want to support a lost cause against all odds, result in a long thread. Hence RJ typically starts the longest threads followed by you.
    Threads started by myself, go nowhere because I pick topics that have not already been done to death, but rather nobody wants to talk about - which is why I am still curious about them.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Jun '14 06:18
    Here are two quotations on the Risen Christ, sonship: “I know the resurrection is a fact, and Watergate proved it to me. How? Because 12 men testified they had seen Jesus raised from the dead, then they proclaimed that truth for 40 years, never once denying it. Every one was beaten, tortured, stoned and put in prison. They would not have endured that if ...[text shortened]... lling me 12 apostles could keep a lie for 40 years? Absolutely impossible.” -Charles W. Colson
    So what are your views on that quotation? When I read it, my first thought was 'what a stupid person Charles W. Colson was'. My second was 'why would anyone post such a stupid quote'?
    So you must see something in it that I don't. What did you see in it?
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jun '14 07:26
    Yes, it is. In general more controversial topics get more posts. That's why trolling on the internet is so successful.
    OPs that everyone agrees with, go nowhere.
    OPs that one side does not want to discuss, go nowhere.
    OPs where the usual suspects want to support a lost cause against all odds, result in a long thread. Hence RJ typically starts the longe ...[text shortened]... ne to death, but rather nobody wants to talk about - which is why I am still curious about them.
    At the moment three longest threads on page one are by wolfgang59 and vivify.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jun '14 07:33
    So what are your views on that quotation? When I read it, my first thought was 'what a stupid person Charles W. Colson was'. My second was 'why would anyone post such a stupid quote'?
    So you must see something in it that I don't. What did you see in it?
    Both focus on Person of Christ and His Resurrection [unique event in human history]. Do you have any familiarity with the congressional hearings over Watergate during Richard Nixon's Presidency? "Courage" as an aspect of faith is insightful.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree