1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    26 Dec '12 19:31
    Originally posted by apathist
    For clarity. I assume capital 'G' God refers specifically to the Abrahamic diety. Small 'g' god refers to any god (including God).
    That is correct - and the distinction there is why I acknowledge my 50/50 error.
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    26 Dec '12 19:42
    Originally posted by Agerg
    That is correct - and the distinction there is why I acknowledge my 50/50 error.
    Yes. But I got confused when you said

heads up ~> God exists,
    tails up ~> no god exists (little g!)

I don't see where you get that. If heads up means God exists, then tails up should mean God doesn't exist. Each flip would be about one particular god.
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    26 Dec '12 19:522 edits
    Yes. But I got confused when you said

heads up ~> God exists,
    tails up ~> no god exists (little g!)

I don't see where you get that. If heads up means God exists, then tails up should mean God doesn't exist. Each flip would be about one particular god.
    it is good that you are unable to see where I got that, as I said earlier I no longer agree with my mapping - it is wrong!!!...I suppose what gave rise to it is the common assumption on the part of theists that there exists only one god (as opposed to infinitely many of them). Accordingly when I hear this argument, I sense that they are ascribing a 50/50 chance to God existing or not, and with the knowledge that their god is one of many gods that could otherwise exist (assuming at least one exists of course!) lurking in the background of my thoughts I habitually dwell too much on the theists assumption that there is only one god - namely "G"od.

Having realised the error in my thinking (even ff I haven't fully accounted for where this error came from), that mistake will not be made in the future.

------------------------------------------
    For any theists reading this btw, the wager is still utter garbage, just my means of showing it was imprecise.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Dec '12 20:38

it is good that you are unable to see where I got that, as I said earlier I no longer agree with my mapping - it is wrong!!!...I suppose what gave rise to it is the common assumption on the part of theists that there exists only one god (as opposed to infinitely many of them). Accordingly when I hear this argument, I sense that they are ascribing a 50/50 ...[text shortened]... ts reading this btw, the wager is still utter garbage, just my means of showing it was imprecise.
    www.eternal_address.long
    hello, hello, mister ag...
    >sorry, unable to confirm.

click.v
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    26 Dec '12 20:56
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    www.eternal_address.long
    hello, hello, mister ag...
    >sorry, unable to confirm.

click.v
    what in blazes are you dribbling on about now!?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Dec '12 00:23
    what in blazes are you dribbling on about now!?
    (Smile... Serious conversation's impossible)
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    27 Dec '12 00:54
    Grampy - make a list of all the people who you think respect you, respect your intelligence, and are interested in what you have to say.
    After you have included in this list every person who has ever joined this website please remove me from that list

Serious conversation is no more possible with you than it is possible with RBHILL, josephw, RJHinds, or Dasa
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    27 Dec '12 01:05
    You implied that he won't exist in Heaven. When directly asked for your meaning, you choose instead to imply he is unable to converse intelligently.

You don't address any of the points or questions in the thread. You make implications and refuse to clarify. I'm apparently one of the few people around here who hasn't decided you are worth ignoring, but you're losing me, Bobby. Have you been drinking?
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Dec '12 13:131 edit

Grampy - make a list of all the people who [b]you think respect you, respect your intelligence, and are interested in what you have to say.
    After you have included in this list every person who has ever joined this website please remove me from that list

Serious conversation is no more possible with you than it is possible with RBHILL, josephw, RJHinds, or Dasa[/b]
    Subjective peer respect tends to be self serving and, as such, is worthless.
    -
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Dec '12 13:22

You implied that he won't exist in Heaven. When directly asked for your meaning, you choose instead to imply he is unable to converse intelligently. You don't address any of the points or questions in the thread. You make implications and refuse to clarify. I'm apparently one of the few people around here who hasn't decided you are worth ignoring, but you're losing me, Bobby. Have you been drinking?
    "a) You implied that he won't exist in Heaven. When directly asked for your meaning, you choose instead to imply he is unable to converse intelligently. You don't address any of the points or questions in the thread. You make implications and refuse to clarify. I'm apparently one of the few people around here who hasn't decided you are worth ignoring, but you're losing me, Bobby. b) Have you been drinking?"

a) Who?; b) No. (high on life and maybe a few frosty cold ones on a red hot day in August); c) ?

Postscript: Apathist, my intent has never been to lose you.
  11. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 03:44
    I think you're overthinking it. Pascal's Wager is a simplistic cop-out, like most simplistic religious ideas.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 16:46
    Originally posted by shiloh
    I think you're overthinking it. Pascal's Wager is a simplistic cop-out, like most simplistic religious ideas.
    Even a numbnuts troll can't miss it. That is the point exactly. 😏
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 23:39
    For any theists reading this btw, the wager is still utter garbage, just my means of showing it was imprecise.
    Theists also believe the wager is utter garbage, but not for the same reasons you do. Obviously.

The wager also assumes a God who would be fooled by some yokel "pretending" to believe.

The belief has to be written on your heart, meaning it has to be a true belief. True beliefs also tend to result in actions fitting those beliefs. Just declaring you believe and then living the rest of your life as if you didn't won't cut it.

"Pretend" belief is bogus, and God knows your heart and won't be fooled by pretense. Ergo, the wager is nonsense.
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 00:42
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Theists also believe the wager is utter garbage, but not for the same reasons you do. Obviously.

The wager also assumes a God who would be fooled by some yokel "pretending" to believe.

The belief has to be written on your heart, meaning it has to be a true belief. True beliefs also tend to result in
    actions fitting those beliefs. Just declaring y ...[text shortened]... , and God knows your heart and won't be fooled by pretence. Ergo, the wager is nonsense.
    SOME theists think it's utter garbage.

I say this because WE (atheists) did not bring this up.

We don't shoot down this argument just for the sake of it.
    We shoot it down because theists keep bringing it up.

Just sayin.
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 19:313 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne...

The belief has to be written on your heart, meaning it has to be a true belief. ...
    What is the difference between 'belief' and 'true belief'? You seem to deny human free will. I choose what to believe in, and I believe lots of others do also. Pascal broke ground with his wager in that regard:

Stanford
    We find in it the extraordinary confluence of several important strands of thought: the justification of theism; probability theory and decision theory, used here for almost the first time in history; pragmatism; voluntarism (the thesis that belief is a matter of the will); and the use of the concept of infinity.

You do not choose what to believe in? Your beliefs are forced upon you?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree