1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 17:18
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Did anyone see the Jon Edwards show last night? He put the actual
    video of Pat Rubberson on, actually his rational was not about
    saving lives or such, it was kill chavez because its CHEAPER than war!
    At least he's taking a fiscally conservative approach.
  2. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 11:58
    Just thought you good folks would like to know that it's not just people on the 'right' who'd like to see these things get done:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/8/24/122804.shtml?et=y

Here's the text of the article:

(NEWSMAX ARTICLE BEGINS HERE)

Wednesday, Aug. 24, 2005 12:23 p.m. EDT

Stephanopoulos Urged Foreign Assassination

Christian Coalition founder Pat Robertson prompted a firestorm of media outrage on Tuesday after he suggested that the Bush administration should assassinate a foreign leader who posed a threat to the U.S. - in this case, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

But when senior Clinton advisor George Stephanopoulos publicly argued for the same kind of assassination policy in 1997, the press voiced no objection at all.

Fresh from his influential White House post, Stephanopoulos devoted an entire column in Newsweek to the topic of whether the U.S. should take out Saddam Hussein.

His headline? "Why We Should Kill Saddam."

"Assassination may be Clinton's best option," the future "This Week" host urged. "If we can kill Saddam, we should."

Though Iraq war critics now argue that by 1997, the Iraqi dictator was "in a box" and posed no threat whatsoever to the U.S., Stephanopoulos contended that Saddam deserved swift and lethal justice.

"We've exhausted other efforts to stop him, and killing him certainly seems more proportionate to his crimes and discriminate in its effect than massive bombing raids that will inevitably kill innocent civilians," the diminutive former aide contended.

Stephanopoulos even offered a way to get around the presidential ban on foreign assassinations:

"If Clinton decides we can and should assassinate Saddam, he could call in national-security adviser Sandy Berger and sign a secret National Security Decision Directive authorizing it."

The Stephanopoulos plan: "First, we could offer to provide money and materiel to Iraqi exiles willing to lead an effort to overthrow Saddam. . . . The second option is a targeted airstrike against the homes or bunkers where Saddam is most likely to be hiding."

The one-time top Clinton aide said that, far from violating international principles, assassinating Saddam would be the moral thing to do, arguing, "What's unlawful - and unpopular with the allies - is not necessarily immoral."

Stephanopoulos also noted that killing Saddam could pay big political dividends at home, saying the mission would make Clinton "a huge winner if it succeeded." (END OF NEWSMAX ARTICLE)

Stephanopoulos ??
    Newsweek??
    Assassination???
    Saddam Hussein??
    Clinton a huge winner if the plot succeeded??
    What's unlawful - and unpopular with the allies - is not necessarily immoral??
    a secret National Security Decision Directive authorizing it??
    a way to get around the presidential ban on foreign assassinations???
    If Clinton decides we can and should assassinate Saddam???

Gee, I didn't know something like that was the President's call...

Is it possible we might have some selective outrage on the part of the 'mainstream' press regarding this topic? A Clinton administration official, Clinton's top adviser, urges assassination, and he gets his own show on ABC News... but when a televangelist (not an official of the Bush Administration) does the exact same thing, well, you know the rest...

I guess the question is, should Stephanopoulos apologize for his comments regarding the assassination of a foreign leader? I guess that's what we should be asking ourselves here.... guess we'll have to check out "This Week needs David Brinkley" on Sunday to see if an apology will be forthcoming...
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 14:16
    "Pat Robertson: Kill Chavez fur Jeeezus!"

You've got Christians and even TV evangelists like that in the US of A ? Oh brother ..... Now I'm beginning to realise and understand why some of you are such vehement anti-Christian, or should I say Anti-Christian Coalition, activists. Pfhuuuih ......
  4. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 14:19
    Originally posted by TheBloop
    Just thought you good folks would like to know that it's not just people on the 'right' who'd like to see these things get done:

...[text shortened]... eck out "This Week needs David Brinkley" on Sunday to see if an apology will be forthcoming...
    ..... and now I also understand why some of you guys in the US of A are so vehemently anti-liberal ......
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 14:45
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    "Pat Robertson: Kill Chavez fur Jeeezus!"

You've got Christians and even TV evangelists like that in the US of A ? Oh brother ..... Now I'm beginning to realise and understand why some of you are such vehement anti-Christian, or should I say Anti-Christian Coalition, activists. Pfhuuuih ......
    But Ivanhoe, will you not at least agree that Pat Robertson perfectly mirrors your thoughts and feelings about the "culture of death", short of murdering Latin American dictators?
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 15:032 edits
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    But Ivanhoe, will you not at least agree that Pat Robertson perfectly mirrors your thoughts and feelings about the "culture of death", short of murdering Latin American dictators?
    To tell you the truth, Pat Robertson is a regional celebrity. In our part of the world he's not known at all by the general public, until now .....

.... and if this gentleman agrees with me on the questions concerning life and death then I can only rejoice that at least in this field he's not talking non-sense and voicing clearly un-Christian stances.

EDIT: "But Ivanhoe, will you not at least agree that Pat Robertson perfectly mirrors your thoughts and feelings about the "culture of death", ... "

I'm not sure about that though, I do not know the gentleman's thoughts and opinions about these issues well enough to air my opinion about this.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 15:28
    Originally posted by TheBloop

...[text shortened]... eck out "This Week needs David Brinkley" on Sunday to see if an apology will be forthcoming...
    Point?
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 19:44
    To tell you the truth, Pat Robertson is a regional celebrity. In our part of the world he's not known at all by the general public, until now .....

.... and if this gentleman agrees with me on the questions concerning life and death then I can only rejoice that at least in this field he's not talking non-sense and voicing clearly un-Christian stances.
    ...[text shortened]... gentleman's thoughts and opinions about these issues well enough to air my opinion about this.
    What the issue here is: Should a "Christian" minister be on Christian Cable Network espousing his own un-Christian political stances.
    It's a good example why churches should stay out of politics and be content with their true mission of teaching the word of the Kingdom.
  9. Not Kansas
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 19:55
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    What the issue here is: Should a "Christian" minister be on Christian Cable Network espousing his own un-Christian political stances.
    It's a good example why churches should stay out of politics and be content with their true mission of teaching the word of the Kingdom.
    What's the diff. between Pat and the Ayatolla Khomeini?

One ain't dead-yet.
  10. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 20:121 edit
    ...and which church does Pat represent ?
  11. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 20:40
    not sure but here's another witticism of his :

"Satan has gone! God has just healed somebody! A hernia has been healed! Several people are being healed of hemorrhoids and varicose veins! People with flat feet! God is doing just great things to you!"

and a former Marine's opinion of Robertson claiming to have been a "combat Marine":
    "There is a person who calls himself a combat Marine. He is not. His name is Pat Robertson. I saw him often in the division headquarters where he was clean-shaven and clothed and showered. He was in charge of making sure that the officers' booze ration was handed out and re-supplied. He was a lieutenant. He was in my battalion.
    The line company marines I saw smelled badly, looked poorly. For months at a time they were cold, eating C-rations. Trying to stay warm and dry was a constant battle. These line-company men were the combat Marines of the First Marine Division. Neither Pat Robertson nor I could carry their gear.
    He is trying to get elected by standing on those frozen bodies I saw, by putting himself in the company of those seven Marines who repulsed the enemy. Imagine a person who aspires to be President being so loose with the truth, so lacking in grace and so dishonorable.
    He says God talks to him. I'd like to hear what God says to him about this. "

enough said?
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 21:06
    not sure but here's another witticism of his :

"Satan has gone! God has just healed somebody! A hernia has been healed! Several people are being healed of hemorrhoids and varicose veins! People with flat feet! God is doing just great things to you!"

and a former Marine's opinion of Robertson claiming to have been a "combat Marine": ...[text shortened]... e says God talks to him. I'd like to hear what God says to him about this. "

enough said?
  13. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 21:08
    I don't think he cares what church you go to as long as there is a Bible in it and you're against abortion, higher taxes, big government, and will vote Republican. Sending him money won't hurt either.
  14. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 21:19
    A closer look at him is required to find it than Im prepared to take, maybe one of his supporters might know, but I recoil from him like the Holy Spirit recoils from evil.
  15. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 21:27
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I don't think he cares what church you go to as long as there is a Bible in it and you're against abortion, higher taxes, big government, and will vote Republican. Sending him money won't hurt either.
    Sounds more like a shrude politician to me using an ideology which is based on some Christian notions and which he uses as a sticky stick to catch voters.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree