1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 23:102 edits
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Does this only apply only to the Corinthians or to all women?

34 let the women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but let them be in subjection, as also saith the law.

35 And if they would learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home: for it is shameful for a woman to speak in the church.

1 Corinthians 14:34-35
    If Evolution took place why did it render the female sex of the race usually smaller and physically weaker ?

Why did natural selection make that difference between male humans and female humans ?
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 23:17
    Originally posted by jaywill
    If [b]Evolution took place why did it render the female sex of the race usually smaller and physically weaker ?

Why did natural selection make that difference between male humans and female humans ?[/b]
    What relevance does that have to do with the quoted verse?
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 23:232 edits
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    What relevance does that have to do with the quoted verse?
    Count it as a preemptive strike against the skeptic or atheist who wants to come off as a champion of women over against the New Testament.

You don't like preemptive strikes I gather.
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 23:28
    Count it as a preemptive strike against the skeptic or atheist who wants to come off as a champion of women over against the New Testament.

You don't like preemptive strikes I gather.
    Paul stated that women speaking in church is shameful because natural selection favoured them to be smaller in stature than men?!

I'm glad you cleared that one up for us.
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 23:32
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Paul stated that women speaking in church is shameful because natural selection favoured them to be smaller in stature than men?!

I'm glad you cleared that one up for us.
    Nice try. I said IF ... evolution is true.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 23:55
    If [b]Evolution took place why did it render the female sex of the race usually smaller and physically weaker ?

Why did natural selection make that difference between male humans and female humans ?[/b]
    The women who could put up a decent fight didn't have as many offspring and so their genes were less frequently represented in the next generation?
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 23:58

the female species very in size a lot. lots are smaller than the males, lots are bigger than the males. its all down to the behavior of each individual animal. the main reason female human are smaller is down to the chemicals released doing certain things, i know you are not stupid so you are fully aware of testosterone and estrogen.

SO! if you look around, beyond humanity you can clearly see natural selection has varied between the sexes depending on environment they came from....male penguin looks after babies......male lion eats babies.........female dog cares for puppies........female spider eats babies.......blahblahblahpreschoolblahblahblah.

id like to say on the main topic OMG!!!!! id didnt know the bible was so horrifically sexist!!! do any christians have a direct explanation? are they cool with it?
  8. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 01:09
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    My mother is a piano player and singer in the church; she doesn't follow the command to keep silent. When the issue is raised, she usually counters with a verse like the following:
    3 Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man who prays or prophesies ...[text shortened]... ince he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man.
    1 Cor 11:3-7
    Interesting. Does your mother cover her head?

My parents are also fundamentalists. The man is definitely the head of the household.

I remember at family gatherings, the women cooked and brought food, the men and boys ate first served by the women, and then when the men were done, the women sat down to eat (and we went into the living room to watch football), and the women cleaned up the dining area and kitchen.

When I was about to be married, the preacher counseled me and my fiance. He said that in marriage, if the husband and wife cannot agree on an important decision (e.g., a financial decision), then it was the husband that made the decision.
  9. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 01:11
    Originally posted by divegeester
    There is a clear theme of female leaders throughout the Bible, some books even being named after them. I believe Paul was literally speaking the truth - to those of a particular church, in a particular condition at a particular time.
    I kind of like that idea of saying that certain scripture in the Bible does not apply to us or today, but only applies "to a particular church, in a particular condition at a particular time."
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 01:44
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Interesting. Does your mother cover her head?
    Oddly, no. But then again people tend to not follow parts of the Bible that are inconvenient for them.
  11. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 01:57
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Oddly, no. But then again people tend to not follow parts of the Bible that are inconvenient for them.
    True
  12. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 02:46
    Originally posted by stellspalfie

id like to say on the main topic OMG!!!!! id didnt know the bible was so horrifically sexist!!! do any christians have a direct explanation? are they cool with it?
    most of them just ignore most of the bible these days. some chauvinists like to hang on though. good 'ole days and all.
  13. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 02:54
    Nice try. I said IF ... evolution is true.
    perhaps if you had read some books on evolution, biology and anthropology, your question would be answered.

hint, you won't find the answer in the bible. god's curse to women is an absurd mythical explanation by ignorant savages who didn't know any better. get some real answers.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 17:24

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 17:58
    Originally posted by JS357
    The women who could put up a decent fight didn't have as many offspring and so their genes were less frequently represented in the next generation?
    if you confirm that was a joke I'll give it a thumbs up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree