1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 09:43
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I do not argue with that choice...
    The aesthetics of Genesis is vastly underrated.
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 09:49
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    The aesthetics of Genesis is vastly underrated.
    Agreed wholeheatedly. On "both sides", so to speak.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 09:54
    Agreed wholeheatedly. On "both sides", so to speak.
    Please say more. Your agreement probably carries more with it than what I think I mean.
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 10:04
    In addition to the choices offered above -- I contend that the Eden episode was pure theatre.
    It ain't one way or another so
    particularly when you follow your own piece of advice and you walk the path to It as it flares through the Mirror

thus
    as a response too
    to your question "let's see what happens without questioning"
    this is exactly what happens

for qeter is the malkhut of ain soph aur afterall
    and the distortion took place when the Second Path was still not connecting the 1 and the 2
    😵
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    It seems that you have released the dilemma by essentially choosing (1). Which means that you are opposed to those who say that the propensity for sin (or “sin nature” ) was the result of eating the tree. And that has seemed to me the conventional view of “original sin”: that the inherent human propensity for sin is inherite ...[text shortened]... g “preachy”, just expanding the point along your own theological lines. No problem.
    sorry i think that i have created confusion by including propensity by which you mean the inclination natural or otherwise towards sin. this i do not advocate. what i did mean was that as free moral agents they had the potential to sin, rather than any type of inclination. sorry for that. therefore whether it is conventional or not i cannot say, but quite clearly before they choose to grasp at moral independence they remained sinless, afterwards they did not. i could try to argue that while they had the potential to sin, they did not have the propensity to sin. this as is evident was introduced by a third party and up until this point they remained sinless and blameless. what is interesting is that eve was clearly manipulated, in the original language the ancient record states that the fruit was 'desirable to look upon', in that it looked good for imparting knowledge. so what the serpent actually did was not appeal to her senses, but to her intellect and being a perfect women, alas the only one! she had an intellectual capacity that was limitless. her husband on the other hand was fully aware of his actions and his was a deliberate act of disobedience, not one of manipulation, but i digress, sorry for the confusion, clearly i meant they had the potential for sinning, not any natural inclination, this must have been as a result of severing their relationship with god and as a consequence of their punishment. interestingly there is no biblical record that they ever repented!
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    Please say more. Your agreement probably carries more with it than what I think I mean.
    And why has he to say more?!
    😵
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 10:051 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    It ain't one way or another so
    particularly when you follow your own piece of advice and you walk the path to It as it flares through the Mirror

thus
    as a response too
    to your question "let's see what happens without questioning"
    this is exactly what happens

for qeter is the malkhut of ain soph aur afterall
    and the distortion took place when the Second Path was still not connecting the 1 and the 2
    😵
    ach beetle yah blether!

definition

Blether an' leather, a football. Also leather and blether .
    A bagpipe the wind-bag of a bagpipe.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 10:07
    And why has he to say more?!
    😵
    There's no obligation!
  9. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 10:09
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    sorry i think that i have created confusion by including propensity by which you mean the inclination natural or otherwise towards sin. this i do not advocate. what i did mean was that as free moral agents they had the potential to sin, rather than any type of inclination. sorry for that. therefore whether it is conventional or not i cannot say, ...[text shortened]... uence of their punishment. interestingly there is no biblical record that they ever repented!
    So many words! Words is the sickness of the Mind ye leggedy beastie robbie!

What you could have done
    I at least pelieve it
    had yer Irn Bru been
    only half Glenlivet?!

😵
  10. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 10:11
    There's no obligation!
    So walk on your own

sooner or later you will join us too

Walking is fine
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 10:12
    So many words! Words is the sickness of the Mind ye leggedy beastie robbie!

What you could have done
    I at least pelieve it
    had yer Irn Bru been
    only half Glenlivet?!

😵
    lol bettle dude, i cannot deny it!
  12. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 10:13
    ach beetle yah blether!

definition

Blether an' leather, a football. Also leather and blether .
    A bagpipe the wind-bag of a bagpipe.
    Bagpipes

I bow
  13. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 10:14
    Well, both literalist/historicists among religionists and those “secularists” (for wont of a better term; perhaps I should just say non-religionists) who accept literalism/historicism as the norm fail to appreciate the power of story (in all its aesthetic dimensions) to inform how we live out our existential condition. I think that both sides underestimate the aesthetic intentions of those who told/wrote/redacted these stories. Someone who can compose literature at the level of the author (or author/redactor) of the “J” narrative in the Torah cannot simply be dismissed as a “superstitious” primitive, on the one hand, nor treated as a simple recorder of “history” on the other.

With that said, I probably take as somewhat post-modernist approach in which the perspective of the reader trumps whatever “original intention” of the author that one might presume they can decipher. Rabbinical midrash seems to be a kind of precursor to such a post-modern (and, in my case, existentialist) approach.

In any event, I find that aesthetics has a great deal to do with how I live my life.

I have imagined a scenario—

Literalist/historicists (“fundamentalists” ) say that, with regard to Aesop’s fables, either mice remove thorns from lion’s paws, and animals converse with each other in human language—or else the whole thing is a lie, and there is no meaning to be found in such tales. “Secularists” who buy into the same literalist/historicist view simply dismiss such fables as prima facie meaningless and absurd.
  14. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 10:181 edit
    sorry i think that i have created confusion by including propensity by which you mean the inclination natural or otherwise towards sin. this i do not advocate. what i did mean was that as free moral agents they had the potential to sin, rather than any type of inclination. sorry for that. therefore whether it is conventional or not i cannot say, uence of their punishment. interestingly there is no biblical record that they ever repented!
    I need to think about "propensity" versus simple "potential" a bit. I'm making this argument as I go, so to speak, and am happy to rethink it...

Not an admission that I'm wrong, you know! 😉

EDIT:

As for Eve being tricked/manipulated, I entirely agree. A careful reading of the text suggests that she might not have even been aware of which tree she was looking at—a fact which the serpent played upon artfully. (That is just one possible reading; I am not suggesting it is the definitive one—if there is such.) Then, as you point out, the question becomes what Adam knew about what was going on there...
  15. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 10:22
    Well, both literalist/historicists among religionists and those “secularists” (for wont of a better term; perhaps I should just say non-religionists) who accept literalism/historicism as the norm fail to appreciate the power of story (in all its aesthetic dimensions) to inform how we live out our existential condition. I think that both sides undere ...[text shortened]... ralist/historicist view simply dismiss such fables as prima facie meaningless and absurd.
    Soon I will be off line until Monday; I am happy that I will have a break from my everyday chores even for three days, which I will share them in full with my beautiful Maria

but suddenly I realise that I will miss this fine conversation
    a classic quid pro qvo situation afterall

but I 'll catch up🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree