1. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 02:20
    I really have difficulty wrapping my head around the idea that in this day and age, many otherwise rational and seemingly intelligent people seem to honestly profess to believe LITERALLY in simplistic, Bronze Age hokum based on childish misinterpretations of the parables in the Bible, which are clearly metaphors for the complex, dualistic nature of man. If I claimed to believe, LITERALLY, in the Easter Bunny, against all evidence and rationality, would that not be equally absurd? Would the burden of proof not then be on me, the claimant? Has anyone out there actually read the Bible with any more insight and understanding than a 5 year old? Or are we stuck with mere "thumpers" and "haters" wih no room in between for discussion? What say you?
  2. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 02:59
    Thumpers and haters are motivated by a great fear of not understanding the who, why and what of our human existence. I have read the Bible and came to the conclusion that it leaves more questions unanswered than it answers.
    I am not afraid to say that I do not know all the answers.
    But I continue to seek those answers.
  3. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 03:30
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Thumpers and haters are motivated by a great fear of not understanding the who, why and what of our human existence. I have read the Bible and came to the conclusion that it leaves more questions unanswered than it answers.
    I am not afraid to say that I do not know all the answers.
    But I continue to seek those answers.
    Well, certainly, the whole purpose of it is to bring up those questions. Our existence is a big question mark, that's the whole point!
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 16:15
    Originally posted by shiloh
    Well, certainly, the whole purpose of it is to bring up those questions. Our existence is a big question mark, that's the whole point!
    Our Creator has given us a handbook for life that explains our origins and purpose. The Creator of life has given us the Bible, which is composed of law, historical information, poetry, prophecy, and divinely inspired letters that explain our role in the universe. The Apostle Paul writes:

"For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him" (Colossians 1:16).

This explains our origins, and to some extent the reason for our origins. Fortunately, we have been told the nature of our Creator, to further help us answer the question "Why do we exist."

"Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love" (1 John 4:8).

God is love. God is not subject to desires such as that for pleasure; His existence is beyond this. He did not create us for His own carnal desires; He created us for the proliferation or multiplication of love.

It is for this reason that the commandments are summed up in two decrees: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength…Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these" (Mark 12:30-31).

God's commandments are merely a guide to how we should increase love - His love. "This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands" (1 John 5:2).

The purpose of our life is to love God, and therefore to keep His commandments, because He created us for love.

http://www.allaboutworldview.org/why-do-we-exist-faq.htm
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 17:39
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Our Creator has given us a handbook for life that explains our origins and purpose. The Creator of life has given us the Bible, which is composed of law, historical information, poetry, prophecy, and divinely inspired letters that explain our role in the universe. The Apostle Paul writes:

"For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth ...[text shortened]... e He created us for love.

http://www.allaboutworldview.org/why-do-we-exist-faq.htm
    Now you know the irrational side of the issue. RJ puts in his view for biblical creation as a literal fact.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 22:32
    Originally posted by shiloh
    I really have difficulty wrapping my head around the idea that in this day and age, many otherwise rational and seemingly intelligent people seem to honestly profess to believe LITERALLY in simplistic, Bronze Age hokum based on childish misinterpretations of the parables in the Bible, which are clearly metaphors for the complex, dualistic nature of man. If I ...[text shortened]... stuck with mere "thumpers" and "haters" wih no room in between for discussion? What say you?
    Those who *don't* believe in God are the five year olds who cannot comprehend nor care about any entity outside of themselves.
  7. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 22:35
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Those who *don't* believe in God are the five year olds who cannot comprehend nor care about any entity outside of themselves.
    Ho HO!

Moronic statement of the day. 😉
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 00:51
    Now now Suzianne.

That's a lie and you know it.

We care deeply about all kinds of entities/beings outside of ourselves.

We just don't care about imaginary non-existent beings over and instead of real flesh and blood humans.

Please try to remember that you are the one with the rationally insupportable blind faith in the existence
    of a homicidal maniac who you believe to be the source of all morality.

Which means that you MUST answer NO to the question "Is there any action, no-matter how barbaric, that
    you wouldn't consider good if your god declared it so?"
    Because god cannot be the source of morality if god cannot declare anything to be moral, and moral is thus
    defined as being whatever god declares to be moral.

I of course answer YES to that question, as there are a great many acts that I would never condone or consider
    moral no matter what or who declared otherwise.

Which is why I, and everyone who thinks like me, has a far better moral system and grounding than you do.

WE don't (unlike you) act as children and require an authority figure to tell us right and wrong.

WE are grown-ups, who can work it out for ourselves. You are the five year old who needs to be told.

Try to remember that.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 01:24
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Now now Suzianne.

That's a lie and you know it.

We care deeply about all kinds of entities/beings outside of ourselves.

We just don't care about imaginary non-existent beings over and instead of real flesh and blood humans.

Please try to remember that you are the one with the rationally insupportable blind faith in the existence
    of a homici ...[text shortened]... ut for ourselves. You are the five year old who needs to be told.

Try to remember that.
    All I see are people saying "No, I like my Lexus, I like my Rolex, I like my million-dollar house, I like paying little to no taxes". I, I, I, I, me, me, me, me. Those who are of this world can stay with this world. Christians have better things ahead.

As for morality, the Bible is stuffed with tales of morality and God hating sin and people loving sin and fighting to keep it. Included for those with an open mind are reasons why God acted as He did. I understand you find these reasons ridiculous because you find the concept of God ridiculous. Those who choose sin can keep it and stay with this world. Again, Christians have better things ahead.
  10. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 03:55
    Again, Christians have better things ahead.
    Or so you think...
  11. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 04:07
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Or so you think...
    Better things ahead?
    What happens after you're dead?
    Will you come back to have the craic?
    Or do you turn to dust instead?

When you are finally in the box
    and with the tolling of the bell.
    Can you be sure you go to heaven,
    or are you going to hell?

Can your family pay for the burial
    or will the have to grovel?
    Or will they gather a mighty crowd
    and say quick now grab a shovel?
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 12:03
    All I see are people saying "No, I like my Lexus, I like my Rolex, I like my million-dollar house, I like paying little to no taxes". I, I, I, I, me, me, me, me. Those who are of this world can stay with this world. Christians have better things ahead.

As for morality, the Bible is stuffed with tales of morality and God hating sin and people loving si ...[text shortened]... choose sin can keep it and stay with this world. Again, Christians have better things ahead.
    Are you claiming moral high-ground, Suzianne? You who would have people executed on the mere suspicion of murder, you who would execute the insane? And this despite the instructions of your own messiah to stay your hand and leave judgement and punishment to the almighty?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 18:32
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Are you claiming moral high-ground, Suzianne? You who would have people executed on the mere suspicion of murder, you who would execute the insane? And this despite the instructions of your own messiah to stay your hand and leave judgement and punishment to the almighty?
    The Son of God will administer final judgment and punishment. However, it is up to us to administer judgment and punisment while we are in this world.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 18:37

As for morality, the Bible is stuffed with tales of morality and God hating sin and people loving si ...[text shortened]... choose sin can keep it and stay with this world. Again, Christians have better things ahead.
    It's never Christians have better things NOW. It's ALWAYS better ahead, say a few thousand years ahead.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 18:39
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The Son of God will administer final judgment and punishment. However, it is up to us to administer judgment and punisment while we are in this world.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
    So much for living in grace.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree