1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 20:46
    "Word History: One of the few overlooked persecuted minorities left in the world is left-handers. The speech police have not yet begun to investigate the sinistrally prejudicial words in English. Sinister began as the Latin word for "left" or "left-handed", then expanded to mean "presaging evil". A "left-handed compliment" is one with a hidden insult. Finally, there is the French word for "left-handed", gauche, which also means "awkward, inept, clumsy". Should we quarantine these words from our vocabulary as we do slurs against other minorities? "

http://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/word/sinister
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 21:47
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I was wrapped by my parents for writing(and drawing) with my left hand.

gift-wrapped? 😉
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Dec '14 04:34

Funny they never noticed I threw a frisbee with my right, used scissors, batted right handed in cricket and a quite a few other ambidexterous behaviours.
    Not to mention my right hand is noticeably stronger than the left
    I did everything as a lefty until I started playing baseball really young.
    I didn't own my own glove so I had to use another kid's all of which were
    right handed. So I ended up playing baseball right handed, basketball I'm
    equally bad with either hand, but favor my right dribbling.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Dec '14 16:48

Funny they never noticed I threw a frisbee with my right, used scissors, batted right handed in cricket and a quite a few other ambidexterous behaviours.
    Not to mention my right hand is noticeably stronger than the left
    The whole left side of my body is useless.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Dec '14 17:03
    Originally posted by JS357
    "Word History: One of the few overlooked persecuted minorities left in the world is left-handers. The speech police have not yet begun to investigate the sinistrally prejudicial words in English. Sinister began as the Latin word for "left" or "left-handed", then expanded to mean "presaging evil". A "left-handed compliment" is one with a hidden insult. Finally, ...[text shortened]... we do slurs against other minorities? "

http://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/word/sinister
    "Should we quarantine these words from our vocabulary as we do slurs against other minorities?"

Interesting point. By quarantining words do you think we will change minds? I never would have thought that "sinister" might be related to being left handed till I read your post. Seems a superstitious notion that if one is left handed they are then somehow sinister. Righties are just as likely to be sinister as lefties I would think.

Quarantining words is like burning books in my opinion. We should quarantine people that teach superstitions like "there is no God". Just kidding! 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree