1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '18 05:49
    YouTube

"When you think about it, thinking about thinking is the hardest sort of thinking there is. Which makes you think."

Is there a grain of truth in this?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Jun '18 10:03
    Originally posted by @fmf
    [youtube]oTJGrGAa_wg[/youtube]

"When you think about it, thinking about thinking is the hardest sort of thinking there is. Which makes you think."

What am I?
    If you take one letter I am still the same.
    If you take two letters away I am still the same.
    If you add a letter I am still the same.
    (I watched the clip till the end)
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Jun '18 21:25
    [youtube]oTJGrGAa_wg[/youtube]

Metacognition (awareness of thought process) isn't difficult but it is work; just like doing chores around the house. A house gets messy not because the work is too hard, but because you'd rather be doing something else. "Thinking about thinking" is similar.
  4. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    30 Jun '18 22:22
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Metacognition (awareness of thought process) isn't difficult but it is work; just like doing chores around the house. A house gets messy not because the work is too hard, but because you'd rather be doing something else. "Thinking about thinking" is similar.
    This is the principle reason I didn't enjoy smoking pot back in the 1970s. It magnified my thoughts about ...well...my thoughts.

It really became a bore. And I'm never excited to get bored. 😛
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '18 01:06
    Originally posted by @vivify
    The fact that we have the capacity for metacognition is one of the few things that gives me, an agnostic atheist, some pause for thought and prevents me from being an explicit atheist.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    01 Jul '18 01:161 edit
    The fact that we have the capacity for metacognition is one of the few things that gives me, an agnostic atheist, some pause for thought and prevents me from being an explicit atheist.
    What is an "agnostic atheist"? I know what both of words mean separately, but not together.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '18 01:19
    "Agnostic atheist"?

Okay.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '18 01:38
    Originally posted by @chaney3
    "Agnostic atheist"?

Okay.
    Yes.

Thread 175901
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '18 01:38
    Can you elaborate?

I'm interested to know why metacognition causes pause with you.

I don't know much about it, and would like to understand the connection.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '18 01:46
    Can you elaborate?

I'm interested to know why metacognition causes pause with you.

I don't know much about it, and would like to understand the connection.
    As I have said many, many times on this forum, the wondrous amalgam of human capacities, for me, leaves the door ajar with regard to the possibility that there might be a creator or some form of central intelligence in the universe. It's certainly an interesting thing to contemplate and I have talked about it many a time; indeed, it prevents me from using the term "atheist" on its own when I describe myself. Looking back, as my Christian beliefs slipped away as I lost faith in the Bible as a credible revelation of such a creator being, I think I saw myself as a deist for quite a few years.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '18 02:07
    As I have said many, many times on this forum, the wondrous amalgam of human capacities, for me, leaves the door ajar with regard to the possibility that there might be a creator or some form of central intelligence in the universe. It's certainly an interesting thing to contemplate and I have talked about it many a time; indeed, it prevents me from using the t ...[text shortened]... dible revelation of such a creator being, I think I saw myself as a deist for quite a few years.
    I didn't know this.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '18 02:58
    I didn't know this.
    I've talked to you - you specifically - about it before - in answer to almost exactly the same question. Stay healthy.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '18 03:18
    I've talked to you - you specifically - about it before - in answer to almost exactly the same question. Stay healthy.
    Stay healthy??

A jab at my past?
    If so, low blow.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '18 03:24
    Stay healthy??

A jab at my past?
    If so, low blow.
    You have my best wishes with regard to your health, as you well know. But people saying that they don't remember stuff or they don't know stuff, even though there have been conversations about the stuff is boring.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '18 03:35
    You have my best wishes with regard to your health, as you well know. But people saying that they don't remember stuff or they don't know stuff, even though there have been conversations about the stuff is boring.
    I thought you were an atheist now. Didn't know you left an option open for God.

It could have been a misunderstanding on my part.

Still, no need for you to act like an arrogant, smug SOB.

I try to communicate with you, but I think the problem is that you're, by nature, just a jerk, and a real turn-off to speak with.

Most posters would agree, as you well know.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree