Pick Another Faith

Pick Another Faith

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
27 Jun 05

Originally posted by maybeONEday
If you didn't believe how you currently do, which religion would you pick up?

I would probably go for Islam.
Atheism I think. Then I'd add whatever felt good to me. There would be no point in asserting anything since truth would be a matter of personal opinion. I might become a hedonist - that seems to give you the most "bang for your buck."

L

Moves
27 Jun 05

Originally posted by Coletti
Atheism I think. Then I'd add whatever felt good to me. There would be no point in asserting anything since truth would be a matter of personal opinion. I might become a hedonist - that seems to give you the most "bang for your buck."
this reply demonstrates succinctly that you have no idea what atheism actually is.

in my opinion, the problem with debating you is that you just go off and define things any way you see fit. for example, that is the reason why you claim free will doesn't exist, and yet on the other hand, you are obviously just a compatibilist.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
27 Jun 05

Originally posted by LemonJello
this reply demonstrates succinctly that you have no idea what atheism actually is....
Why do you say that?

(Personally, I am no compatibilist. )

L

Moves
27 Jun 05
1 edit

Why do you say that?

(Personally, I am no compatibilist. )
another recent example: in the I AM thread you just tried to define atheism out of existence.

i say you are a compatibilist coletti because your ideas about free will cannot distinguish you from one who does call himself a compatibilist in accordance with the widely established definition of the term 'compatibilist'.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
27 Jun 05

Originally posted by LemonJello
another recent example: in the I AM thread you just tried to define atheism out of existence.

i say you are a compatibilist coletti because your ideas about free will cannot distinguish you from one who does call himself a compatibilist in accordance with the widely established definition of the term 'compatibilist'.
You can not even justify existence. 😀

I bet if we really examined the axioms of your world view, I think we'd find you can not justify anything more than "I think, therefore I am." In other words - I wouldn't be surprised to find you can barely justify your own existence, much less the existence of anything else.

I do not say that atheism does not exists - I say that no person is a true atheist.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
27 Jun 05

I do not say that atheism does not exists - I say that no person is a true atheist.
I am a true atheist.

N

The sky

Moves
27 Jun 05

You usually have your own definitions of words, so what does "atheist" mean in Colettish?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
27 Jun 05

Originally posted by bbarr
I am a true atheist.

It doesn't matter Bbarr, everybody can make a mistake.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
27 Jun 05
1 edit

I am a true atheist.
That's what you think! 😀 😉

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
27 Jun 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe

It doesn't matter Bbarr, everybody can make a mistake.
Although you think appeals to authority are fallacious, when you talk about making mistakes, I listen!

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
27 Jun 05

Originally posted by Nordlys
You usually have your own definitions of words, so what does "atheist" mean in Colettish?
An atheist is someone who does not believe in God (or any deity or supernatural supreme being).

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
27 Jun 05
1 edit

That's what you think! 😀 😉
Well, at least one of us here is doing some thinking! Out of morbid curiousity, what does the term 'atheism' mean in Colettiesque?

EDIT: Ah, I see you've defined 'atheism' above. So, again, according to that definition I am a true atheist.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
27 Jun 05

Well, at least one of us here is doing some thinking! Out of morbid curiousity, what does the term 'atheism' mean in Colettiesque?
(see above)

Do you agree?

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
27 Jun 05

(see above)

Do you agree?
Seems O.K. to me. Strange you would deny that there are any true atheists, however. Given that definition, millions of people qualify.

L

Moves
27 Jun 05

You can not even justify existence. 😀

I bet if we really examined the axioms of your world view, I think we'd find you can not justify anything more than "I think, therefore I am." In other words - I wouldn't be surprised to find you can barely justify your own existence, much less the existence of anything else.

so your claims that i (a rational being) cannot know anything are somehow supposed to demonstrate that you (also a rational being) know about things like the existence of a supernatural god that is unknowable to begin with? i think you are going to have to fill in the blanks.

in particular, i am not sure where you are trying to go with this line of reasoning. it is the person with faith who believes things can be known somehow without reason. how do you know that my position is not that many things in fact cannot be known, like the existence of your god for example?

come to think of it, i think i may finally understand why you seem to be annoyed with me. maybe you think that all atheists make some positive assertion that your god definitely does not exist and then you get mad when i do not defend such a claim. not so because i make no such claim. i merely claim (as a weak atheist) that your faith does not constitute knowledge, and that your case for the existence of god is pretty lame. i have already given reasons for these claims (that i do in fact claim) and i would be happy to go over them again and again.