1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 16:22
    Originally posted by whodey
    And you are welcome to your opinion but there are those of us who do not agree. Call those who interpret the scriptures literally dumb if you prefer. However, even if you do not take what is written as literal, you are free to interpret what is being said based on what is said. Therefore, if you change the wording around, you would then be more likely to i ...[text shortened]... differently than what was said originally. Why am I the only one that seems to understand this?
    Let's try something. I will rewrite a passage of Scripture that I hope will retain its original intent and you give me some feedback about how you experienced it.

And as they gathered together, Jesus took a cheeseburger and blessed it. He said this is my body given to you for the forgiveness of sins. And then he took a biggie sized Coke as big things were to come and he gave thanks and gave it to them as said this is my blood poured out for the forgiveness of sins. As often as you drink a Coke and eat a cheeseburger remember me. Then they departed and went out to sing some spirituals.
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 16:261 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Let's try something. I will rewrite a passage of Scripture that I hope will retain its original intent and you give me some feedback about how you experienced it.

And as they gathered together, Jesus took a cheeseburger and blessed it. He said this is my body given to you for the forgiveness of sins. And then he took a biggie sized Coke as big thin ...[text shortened]... e and eat a cheeseburger remember me. Then they departed and went out to sing some spirituals.
    hmm...reckon you could throw in there somewhere...buy 1, get 4999 free? 😉
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 16:34

And as they gathered together, Jesus took a cheeseburger and blessed it. He said this is my body given to you for the forgiveness of sins. And then he took a biggie sized Coke as big thin ...[text shortened]... e and eat a cheeseburger remember me. Then they departed and went out to sing some spirituals.
    I like it. They could get corporate sponsorship for the churches and sell the naming rights to everything, like they do in pro sports. Parishioners could go to the 'Pepsi Church of God', or the priest could announce that today's sermon has been brought to you by McDonald's. They could build dual purpose church/fast food restaurants. At the drive through, you could get a Big Mac or a prayer to go. In the happy meals, they could give away little plastic figurines of Jesus dressed in the Ronald McDonald clown suit. The possibilities here are endless.
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 16:37
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I like it. They could get corporate sponsorship for the churches and sell the naming rights to everything, like they do in pro sports. Parishioners could go to the 'Pepsi Church of God', or the priest could announce that today's sermon has been brought to you by McDonald's. They could build dual purpose church/fast food restaurants. At the drive through, yo ...[text shortened]... ines of Jesus dressed in the Ronald McDonald clown suit. The possibilities here are endless.
    I am stunned that you like it as you brought in all this corporate mentality stuff to it, but it only shows that Jesus works in mysterious ways. I specifically chose the cheeseburger and coke because that seems to be the most common meal of our time like bread and wine of his time. So we would think a lot about Jesus when we drank a coke or ate a cheeseburger.

Did the Democrats winning make you a more spiritual person?
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 17:46
    I am stunned that you like it as you brought in all this corporate mentality stuff to it, but it only shows that Jesus works in mysterious ways. I specifically chose the cheeseburger and coke because that seems to be the most common meal of our time like bread and wine of his time. So we would think a lot about Jesus when we drank a coke or ate a cheeseburger.

Did the Democrats winning make you a more spiritual person?
    Indeed, Brother Kirk, I was so inspired that I whipped up a little something to help convert the unfaithful. I introduce to you: McJesus!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/rwingett/McJesus.jpg
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 17:49
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Indeed, Brother Kirk, I was so inspired that I whipped up a little something to help convert the unfaithful. I introduce to you: McJesus!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/rwingett/McJesus.jpg
    Let me tell you something. If RBHill does't give you a rec, he should never post in here again.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 18:48
    Let me tell you something. If RBHill does't give you a rec, he should never post in here again.
    Here is my first commercial in the name of McJesus:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/rwingett/McJesus2.gif
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 19:38

That is all well and good as long as there were not reasons behind the use of bread and wine. I am not saying there is a reason for them, rather, I am saying that there is the possibility of a reason for using them. I have found that the Bible is full of symbolism. For example in Revelation, symbolism can be seen in many places such as water representing masses of people and stars representing angelic hosts. I can say this with certainty because the book of Revelation spells these symbolisms out for us. However, what about the scriptures where they are not spelled out? How is one ever to recieve an intended revelation about the symbolic use of a word if the entire word is replaced by another word?

I think what upsets me the most is when words are changed that refer to the diety of Christ and/or the Father. I feel as though specific words were chosen to describe them that should not be tampered with. For example, I feel as though masculine pronouns are used to describe who and what God is for a reason. Why do you think Christ came as a man? It makes just as much sense to call the Father a goddess or a mother as it does referring to Christ as the daughter of God.
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 20:02
    That is all well and good as long as there were not reasons behind the use of bread and wine. I am not saying there is a reason for them, rather, I am saying that there is the possibility of a reason for using them. I have found that the Bible is full of symbolism. For example in Revelation, symbolism can be seen in many places such as water representing m ...[text shortened]... to call the Father a goddess or a mother as it does referring to Christ as the daughter of God.
    Why did Christ come as a man? I can't think of a good reason. It matters only that God came in human form if I understand Scripture correctly.

I saw an interesting bumper sticker the other day that said: "When you die, you will go to Father God not mother earth." Clearly the modern church sturggles with the feminine.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 20:18
    Whodey: I think that masculine pronouns that are used to describe God have significance in the meaning of the text.

Why? Do you believe that God has a penis?
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 20:21
    Why did Christ come as a man? I can't think of a good reason. It matters only that God came in human form if I understand Scripture correctly.

I saw an interesting bumper sticker the other day that said: "When you die, you will go to Father God not mother earth." Clearly the modern church sturggles with the feminine.
    Reverend: Why did Christ come as a man?

Probably because it was thought to be a better marketing strategy.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 20:391 edit

Christ said that when we die there will be neither female nor male spiritually. After all, God is a Spirit and not a literal male of female. However, the masculine qualities of physical superiority and domination are important when referring to God. This is because he is superior and dominant Being to all all else and therefore such pronouns are necessary in describing God. Notice I did not say that men are superior to women, rather, I am saying that they have different physical qualities and roles within the family unit that are often deemed by some to be superior.

God created both male and female, therefore, it stands to reason that he has both feminine and masculine qualities, no? However, if we were to mention God as a female I think we would be negating his masculine qualities. However, when describing him as a male I do not necessarily think you are negating his feminine qualities. After all, he is a God of love and descibied as a nurturing entity.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 20:49
    Christ said that when we die there will be neither female nor male spiritually. After all, God is a Spirit and not a literal male of female. However, the masculine qualities of physical superiority and domination are important when referring to God. This is because he is superior and dominant Being to all all else and therefore such pronouns are necessary ...[text shortened]... ing his feminine qualities. After all, he is a God of love and descibied as a nurturing entity.
    You're quite loony, as well as someone who believes in a lot of ridiculous stereotypes.
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 20:51
    Christ said that when we die there will be neither female nor male spiritually. After all, God is a Spirit and not a literal male of female. However, the masculine qualities of physical superiority and domination are important when referring to God. This is because he is superior and dominant Being to all all else and therefore such pronouns are necessary ...[text shortened]... ing his feminine qualities. After all, he is a God of love and descibied as a nurturing entity.
    I am curious as to why mentioning God as female negates his masculine qualities but not the other way around?
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 21:01
    I am curious as to why mentioning God as female negates his masculine qualities but not the other way around?
    Sexism of a most simple minded kind.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree