1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 12:24
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    Do you see the need for government, Whodey?

What about the police force? Or the military? Or hospitals?
    Yes, people are sheep as the Bible says.

Lemmings is a less flattering term.

Choose your shepherd wisely.
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 13:16
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Yes, people are sheep as the Bible says.

Lemmings is a less flattering term.

Choose your shepherd wisely.
    I didn't ask you about people being sheep or what your big book of fairytales Reveal Hidden Content
    Psst, remember when you made fun of someone believing in supernatural causes for natural events?? Haha, that was funny, wasn't it?
    tells you.

I asked YOU if YOU see the need for a government.

It's a simple question. Which is what people like you and Eladar seem to struggle with a lot. Because simple questions make lies appear more apparent.

So, again: Do YOU see a need for government?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 13:45
    I didn't ask you about people being sheep or what your big book of fairytales [hidden]Psst, remember when you made fun of someone believing in supernatural causes for natural events?? Haha, that was funny, wasn't it?[/hidden] tells you.

I asked YOU if YOU see the need for a government.

It's a simple question. Which is what people like you and E ...[text shortened]... simple questions make lies appear more apparent.

So, again: Do YOU see a need for government?
    Yes, we all need direction.

In 1 Samuel 8 we see the children if Israel begging for a king like all the other nations. God warned them about the evils they would encounter with a human king but they continued to demand one, so God gave them one.

God said that this was a rejection of him as their king. Before this time, there was no king of Israel, just judges to hear disputes
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 13:50
    God said that this was a rejection of him as their king. Before this time, there was no king of Israel, just judges to hear disputes
    So you'd favour a state in which there "just judges to hear disputes" and no government? Is that what your answer to Great King Rat's straight-on-the-nose question is?
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 14:02
    Yes, we all need direction.

In 1 Samuel 8 we see the children if Israel begging for a king like all the other nations. God warned them about the evils they would encounter with a human king but they continued to demand one, so God gave them one.

Your answer befuddles me and I agree with FMF's question.

Are you saying it would be more beneficial to get rid of government? In other words, are you an anarchist?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 14:151 edit
    Your answer befuddles me and I agree with FMF's question.

Are you saying it would be more beneficial to get rid of government? In other words, are you an anarchist?
    No, we need a shepherd.

The people of Israel voted for another human instead of their God.

How hard is that to understand?

God was willing to heed their freedom to give them what they wanted.

Conversely, once man obtains such power he never relinquishes it willingly.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 14:16
    Originally posted by @fmf
    So you'd favour a state in which there "just judges to hear disputes" and no government? Is that what your answer to Great King Rat's straight-on-the-nose question is?
    The role of government is to maintain a civil society.

Would you agree?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 14:23
    The role of government is to maintain a civil society.

Would you agree?
    So what is your answer to Great King Rat's question? "Civil society" is a term that has a specific meaning. I have no idea whether you even know what it means. So I'll settle for an answer to the question. Only judges? No government? Just say something clear.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 14:271 edit
    So what is your answer to Great King Rat's question? "Civil society" is a term that has a specific meaning. I have no idea whether you even know what it means. So I'll settle for an answer to the question. Only judges? No government? Just say something clear.
    Well I think we all agree that freedom of choice is the issue. We all want freedom and want to give freedom to others, but what do you do with those that abuse the freedom of others with your own free will? Those are the ones that present the problem of a society that wants to remain civil.

Would you agree?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 14:31
    Well I think we all agree that freedom of choice is the issue. We all want freedom and want to give freedom to others, but what do you do with those that abuse the freedom of others with your own free will? Those are the ones that present the problem of a society that wants to remain civil.

Would you agree?
    What about Great King Rat's question?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 14:36
    What about Great King Rat's question?
    I'm trying to answer it by you having answer my question.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 14:39
    I'm trying to answer it by you having answer my question.
    Just answer the question. Do it on your own. Write your answer.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 14:444 edits
    The bottom line is, we need to maintain a civil society. As a society, we have two choices to achieve this. We can either create a massive police state to impose the civil society on us, or we can have those who have freedom self enforce a moral code that maintains a civil society.

In short, we can either maintain a civil society by our own free will and inernal moral compass or have someone else do it for us. To have both a free society and civil society, there must first be a moral society. There is no other way.

I say that only through God can we have the moral society that allows for a free society that also negates the need for an increasingly intrusive state to do it for us.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 14:58
    The bottom line is, we need to maintain a civil society. As a society, we have two choices to achieve this. We can either create a massive police state to impose the civil society on us, or we can have those who have freedom self enforce a moral code that maintains a civil society.

In short, we can either maintain a civil society by our own free will an ...[text shortened]... r a free society that also negates the need for an increasingly intrusive state to do it for us.
    So, your answer to Great King Rat's question is "yes"?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 15:281 edit
    So, your answer to Great King Rat's question is "yes"?
    My answer is, it depends on the morality of the society.

A society that has the morality of a jail cell will need to have all it's freedoms taken away and civility imposed upon it.

If I wanted to create a police state, I would wage war on the morality of society.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree