Poll: Religious?

Poll: Religious?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
05 Sep 06

Originally posted by rwingett
Strong atheism is a minority subset of atheism. An atheist could be a strong atheist or a weak atheist. The fact that some muddleheaded atheists will define themselves as strong atheists does not mean atheism is synonymous with strong atheism. Quite the opposite. As a vast majority of knowledgable atheists would define themselves as weak atheists, that defi ...[text shortened]... an atheist, it should be assumed they're a weak atheist unless specifically stated otherwise.
who are you calling muddleheaded ??? 😉 😛

Moves
05 Sep 06

Originally posted by vistesd
Well, we have in the past seen debates on here about who is (and what defines) a “True Christian” (TM)—often to the confusion of non-Christians. So I suppose a debate over who is (and what defines) a “True Atheist” (TM) is overdue.

Since I think rwingett’s definition of an atheist is the most appropriate (as well as the majority) one, I suggest that we r ...[text shortened]... dox Churches who recognize the first seven Ecumenical Councils, and only those seven councils...
Yes because everyone and everything should pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, and numbered! and put in the apropriate pigeon hole.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
05 Sep 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
I would think that the term "anti-theist" would be inappropriate because that would have to imply something like "against God" (e.g. a real Satan-worshipper, for instance).

Also, the word '[Eastern] Orthodox' (as a proper noun or referent) already refers to what you want, so there's no need to limit the adjective "orthodox" (which has a broader scope, including in non-religious domains).
(Takes one last look at the romper-room before leaving, and just can’t resist&mdash😉

I would think that the term "anti-theist" would be inappropriate because that would have to imply something like "against God" (e.g. a real Satan-worshipper, for instance).

Why should such erroneous inference render the term “inappropriate?”

Also, the word '[Eastern] Orthodox' (as a proper noun or referent) already refers to what you want, so there's no need to limit the adjective "orthodox" (which has a broader scope, including in non-religious domains).

Clearly wrong—I once bought a book called Orthodoxy by some guy named Chesterton...

(Hurries through the door with a slam, so as not to be tempted by any more responses...)

l

London

Moves
05 Sep 06
1 edit

(Takes one last look at the romper-room before leaving, and just can’t resist&mdash😉

[b]I would think that the term "anti-theist" would be inappropriate because that would have to imply something like "against God" (e.g. a real Satan-worshipper, for instance).

Also, the word '[E ...[text shortened]... Hurries through the door with a slam, so as not to be tempted by any more responses...)[/b]
It would be inappropriate because we would now have a fight on our hands between the Anti-Theists(TM) and The-Rogue-Faction-Formerly-Known-As-Strong-Atheists.

As to GKC's book, it's such a pity that there is no way to distinguish a priori between beginning-of-sentence capitalization and proper noun capitalization...

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Sep 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
In your opinion / using your set of definitions, what's the difference between (weak) atheism and agnosticism?
A weak atheist would say that the evidence is insufficient to believe that a God exists. Therefore, a weak atheist would say that he does not believe that a God exists.

An agnostic does not commit to any opinion, except maybe that the answer is unknowable (not all agnostic do so, however).

If they do not, I believe that such (weak) agnosticism is inherently hypocrite and a mere form of political correctness.

Moves
05 Sep 06

[b]I would think that the term "anti-theist" would be inappropriate because that would have to imply something like "against God" (e.g. a real Satan-worshipper, for instance).

Also, the word '[E ...[text shortened]... Hurries through the door with a slam, so as not to be tempted by any more responses...)
A satan worshiper is a theist, they believe in religion, just because it doesn't have 'god' as the head doesn't stop it being theocratic (don't know if thats a word but it should be).
Anti-theism and athiesm are seperate, thus automaticaly labeling someone who is an athiest an antitheist would be wrong.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Sep 06

For me, an anti-theist is simply an atheist that does not respect the freedom of religious choice.

l

London

Moves
05 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by googlefudge
A satan worshiper is a theist, they believe in religion, just because it doesn't have 'god' as the head doesn't stop it being theocratic (don't know if thats a word but it should be).
Anti-theism and athiesm are seperate, thus automaticaly labeling someone who is an athiest an antitheist would be wrong.
I might not have been clear in what I said about Satan worshippers. Let me try again.

If one takes the classical Judeo-Christian notions of God and Satan then, by Satan-worshipper, I mean someone who acknowledges God as creator, all-good, all-powerful etc. but nevertheless chooses to worship Satan. Would you say that the term "anti-theist" is inappropriate for such a person?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Sep 06

Originally posted by telerion
You two? Praise THE LORD!
PRAISE THE LARD AND PASS THE TACO'S.

Moves
05 Sep 06

Originally posted by Palynka
For me, an anti-theist is simply an atheist that does not respect the freedom of religious choice.
What if it shouldn't be respected? (In hypothetical 'devils advocate' mode here)

What if religion could be shown to be damaging to society?
If a person’s choice of religion has an adverse effect on someone then they are entitled to object, their freedom not to be unduly effected by someone else overrides their 'right' to follow the religion that is causing the adverse effect.
Now what if you could show that a majority (or all) religions had an adverse effect, should in that case those religions, and hence theocracy, be respected

Moves
05 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by lucifershammer
I might not have been clear in what I said about Satan worshippers. Let me try again.

If one takes the classical Judeo-Christian notions of God and Satan then, by Satan-worshipper, I mean someone who acknowledges God as creator, all-good, all-powerful etc. but nevertheless chooses to worship Satan. Would you say that the term "anti-theist" is inappropriate for such a person?
yes

EDIT: and you were clear the first time. I apologise if I wasn't

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Sep 06
1 edit

What if it shouldn't be respected? (In hypothetical 'devils advocate' mode here)

If a person’s choice of religion has an adverse effect on someone then they are entitled to object, their freedom not to be unduly effected by someone else overrides their 'right' to follow the religion that is ...[text shortened]... d an adverse effect, should in that case those religions, and hence theocracy, be respected
Then anti-theism would be the way to go.

I don't rate religious freedom higher than other human rights. In fact, I rate it lower than many of those rights (life, speech, etc).

Edit - Note that I define anti-theism as opposition to theism and not, as I think LH in a way believes, opposition to God.

Moves
05 Sep 06

good, we are useing the same definition of anti-theism

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
05 Sep 06
2 edits

Originally posted by rwingett
Some do, but atheism itself entails no such supposed belief. Atheism, properly speaking, is a lack of belief.
Atheism, properly speaking, is a lack of belief.

I think some confusion in this thread is caused by this statement which I think is incorrect. This is more correct:

Atheism, properly speaking, is a lack of belief in god(s). A-theism = without god(s). One is not required to lack belief in anything in order to be an atheist. Such a person would be an abeliefist.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
05 Sep 06

Yes because everyone and everything should pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, and numbered! and put in the apropriate pigeon hole.
Precisely!

I was going to offer the term “no-theism” (now that I recognize the contention generated by the ambiguity of “anti-theist” ), but I now realize that such word-labels are not sufficiently efficient. So I suggest an alpha-numeric code scheme.

You are a 957US; lucifershammer is a 724gSC. Only Nordlys gets the high-ranking designation of 334N1, I’m afraid.

The manual of definitions for the codes can only be accessed on-site at Control HQ—but none of you has security clearance for access (and some of you should probably not risk a visit to CHQ: you might not be permitted to leave). By the way, 957US, you arebeing watched...