1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '18 09:38
    Read all about it...read all about it!! The Pope abolishes hell.

According to Italian journalist and atheist Scalfari who interviewed the Pope several times (according to some sources) and is quoted all over global media as saying the Pope is stated that sinners simply disappear and are not tortured for eternity.

The Vatican denies the comments but there is a bit of a poo-storm kicking up as some of the Pope’s detractors claim that he has a tendiency to confuse the faithful.

I’m sure the eternal torture lovers will be writting to the Pope for clarification.

Typical reference but it’s all over social media for those interested:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/29/vatican-denies-pope-says-doesnt-exist/
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    30 Mar '18 10:49
    Originally posted by @divegeester

According to Italian journalist and atheist Scalfari who interviewed the Pope several times (according to some sources) and is quoted all over global media as saying the Pope is stated that sinners simply disappear and are not tortured for eternity.

The Vatican denies the comments b ...[text shortened]... interested:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/29/vatican-denies-pope-says-doesnt-exist/
    Hell is as real as heaven.

The pope is as real as pink polka dotted unicorns.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '18 10:53
    Originally posted by @secondson
    Hell is as real as heaven.

The pope is as real as pink polka dotted unicorns.
    What’s the difference between a lemon and a lime?
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    30 Mar '18 10:54
    What’s the difference between a lemon and a lime?
    Don't you know?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '18 19:18

The Vatican denies the comments b ...[text shortened]... interested:
    “Thus saith the Lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the Lord.

For he shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited.

Blessed is the man that trusteth in the Lord, and whose hope the Lord is.

For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.”

(Jeremiah 17:5-8)
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '18 20:47
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    “Thus saith the Lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the Lord.

For he shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited.

Blessed is the man that trusteth in the Lord, and ...[text shortened]... e careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.”

(Jeremiah 17:5-8)
    Thank goodness for copy/paste.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '18 21:30
    Thank goodness for copy/paste.
    I hope that’s not all you took away from those verses.
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 11:05
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    I hope that’s not all you took away from those verses.
    From what I've heard and read of divegeester it appears he has a watered down view of the scriptures. I don't think divegeester really believes what the Bible says when it doesn't correspond with his own perceptions of reality.

For example; divegeester spiritualizes those verses that talk about hell and the eternal state of a Christ rejecting world as metaphorical, and castigates anyone that believes in the literal interpretation of scripture.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 12:14
    From what I've heard and read of divegeester it appears he has a watered down view of the scriptures. I don't think divegeester really believes what the Bible says when it doesn't correspond with his own perceptions of reality.

For example; divegeester spiritualizes those verses that talk about hell and the eternal state of a Christ rejecting world as metaphorical, and castigates anyone that believes in the literal interpretation of scripture.
    If he believes he "saved" by faith alone ~ as many others here do, including you ~ what does it matter? Surely you don't believe that being "saved" is a matter of how well some doctrine has been memorized or internalized?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 12:44

I think the root of dive’s problem, the heart of his existential angst and unwillingness to believe the entire Bible, is the possibility, in his mind, that beer doesn’t exist in heaven and that he’ll have to be sober for more than 20 minutes.

From what the bartender at dive’s pub tells me, this fear most often presents itself after the tenth pint and results in crying jags, slurred cursing and incontinence.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 15:01
    Originally posted by @fmf
    If he believes he "saved" by faith alone ~ as many others here do, including you ~ what does it matter? Surely you don't believe that being "saved" is a matter of how well some doctrine has been memorized or internalized?
    This is a really good point; what does it matter as long as I am saved by faith. Which I am.
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 15:12
    This is a really good point; what does it matter as long as I am saved by faith. Which I am.
    FMF didn't make a good point. He raised an issue that isn't in the context of the foregoing posts.

I cannot say there is biblical grounds for saying an individual isn't saved because they disagree on points of doctrine, and I cannot say you are not saved because you struggle with the concept of a Christ rejecting world consigned to everlasting punishment in the lake of fire.

I struggle with it myself.
  13. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 15:23
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Surely you don't believe that being "saved" is a matter of how well some doctrine has been memorized or internalized?
    I certainly do.

Romans 10:8&9
    But what saith it? Reveal Hidden Content
    verse 6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise,..
    The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
    That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

I'm reasonably certain divegeester believes that.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 15:24

How exactly is that different from you not believing what Leviticus 25:44-46 says because it doesn't correspond with your conception of God?
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 15:35
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    [b]From what I've heard and read of divegeester it appears he has a watered down view of the scriptures. I don't think divegeester really believes what the Bible says when it doesn't correspond with his own perceptions of reality.

How exactly is that different from you not believing what Leviticus 25:44-46 says because it doesn't correspond with your conception of God?[/b]
    Because, unlike you, I don't project into the narrative of scripture a presupposition that is contrary to the text.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree