1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 10:38
    Which of these two books do posters prefer? Dawkins' "God Delusion" or Hitchens' "The Portable Atheist"?

This question is for theists too. Which made the case more interestingly even if you don't buy into it?
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 10:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    Which of these two books do posters prefer? Dawkins' "God Delusion" or Hitchens' "The Portable Atheist"?

This question is for theists too. Which made the case more interestingly even if you don't buy into it?
    Which strawman burns more brightly?

I couldn't be bothered with finishing either of their tedious diatribes. I could be making a huge mistake, but I don't think either, brilliant as they are on other subjects, has anything to teach me in this case. Now if Pilger or Fisk devoted a book to the topic ...
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 10:572 edits
    I want to read the new book "The Last Mythology: Refuting the New Atheism" by that philosophy professor out of Berkley.

I heard him on the radio and know that the book is a response to Dawkins and the other guy on the mythology that the Enlightenment invented rationality and faith has been obsolete ever since then.

In short I think he refutes the "New Atheist" historical revisionism about logic and rationality in the history of philosophy, science, and faith.

I could be mistaken about the title. Here is a list of responses to Dawkins:

God and the New Atheism – A Critical Response to Dawkins Harris and Hitchens

God is No Delusion A Refutation of Richard Dawkins

Atheism, The Case Against God – Skeptics Bookshelf

The Dawkins Delusion – Atheist Fundamentalism and the Denial of the Divine

Answering the Objections of Atheists Agnostics and Skeptics

The Irrational Atheist Dissecting the Unholy Trinity of Dawkins Harris and Hitchens

The Last Superstition – A Refutation of the New Atheism

The Future of Atheism Alister McGrath and Daniel Dennett in Dialogue
    Atheism Remix A Christian Confronts the New Atheists

Atheism Advanced – Further Thoughts of

They'er trying to convince the younger generation that God became obsolete ever sense Renaissance supposedly discovered rational thought.

"What? You still believe in God?? Return to the Dark Ages! That's all over now."
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 11:14
    Originally posted by jaywill
    I want to read the new book [b]"The Last Mythology: Refuting the New Atheism" by that philosophy professor out of Berkley.

I heard him on the radio and know that the book is a response to Dawkins and the other guy on the mythology that the Enlightenment invented rationality and faith has been obsolete ever since then.

In short I think he refutes ...[text shortened]... "What? You still believe in God?? Return to the Dark Ages! That's all over now." [/b]
    Which of the two books in the thread title made the case more interestingly for you even if you don't buy into their atheist argument?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 11:20
    Originally posted by FMF

I haven't read "The Portable Atheist" nor heard of it before. Is it any good?
    I bought and read "The God Delusion" because it came up a lot in discussions in this forum. I think it is good.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 11:23
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I haven't read "The Portable Atheist" nor heard of it before. Is it any good?
    I will keep my powder dry a while because I am about 30% of the way through the audiobook version.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 11:24
    Originally posted by jaywill
    They'er trying to convince the younger generation that God became obsolete ever sense Renaissance supposedly discovered rational thought.
    I haven't read a whole lot of Dawkins work, but I don't remember that argument in "The God delusion". Can you give any references?
    For the record, I do agree that such an argument is horribly flawed - especially considering that I never went through the renaissance but became an atheist anyway. I don't think God became obsolete as I don't think he ever existed or that belief in him was ever required (or a particularly good thing).
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 11:28
    Originally posted by FMF

I've read the 'God Delusion', and thought it was a good read, although the section on genetics, religion and meme pools lost me. I haven't read Hitchens book.
  9. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 12:38
    Why I am Not a Christian - Bertrand Russell
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 12:431 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Which of the two books in the thread title made the case more interestingly for you even if you don't buy into their atheist argument?
    The Dawkins book if I were to read one. I'm not in a hurry to do so.
  11. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 12:50

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 12:51

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 13:49
    Just for the record, "The Portable Atheist" is a collection of essays by prominent Free Thinkers. Although it may contain some commentary from the ever-eloquent Mr. Hitchens, the bulk of the material is from authors such as Orwell, Spinoza, Hobbes, Jefferson, Twain, and Hume.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 14:04
    Originally posted by David C
    Just for the record, "The Portable Atheist" is a collection of essays by prominent Free Thinkers. Although it may contain some commentary from the ever-eloquent Mr. Hitchens, the bulk of the material is from authors such as Orwell, Spinoza, Hobbes, Jefferson, Twain, and Hume.
    Spinoza & Hume are well worth reading. But for their philosophy, not their atheism. I dislike the marketing of atheism as a trendy brand.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 14:08
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Each to his own. What bores me is that Dawkins demolishes lumpen arguments that are not difficult to demolish -- hence the strawman tag. He also suffers from tunnel vision, focusing on the forms of religion that he's familiar with and eschewing engagement with more slippery fish as the Indian belief systems.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree